Stats: How they effect you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats: How they effect you.

Here is some interesting information I came across researching Shami strats and builds.

Your level in agility will increase your chance to crit on a melee hit by about 1.03%.
    Half your level in agility will increase your chance to dodge or parry by about 1.03%.

1 Strength* = 0.142 DPS so its basically 7 Strength = 1 DPS
    1 Strength = 2 Melee Attack Power

Strength also increases the amount of damage you block with a shield (but not your chance to block which is based on Agility)

A standard caster build emphasizes INT, STA, and SPI.Intellect adds 15 mana per point, and 1% chance to cast a crit spell every 100 INT. Stamina adds 10 HP per point. Spirit increases mana regen by 1 mana per tick (2 seconds) every 5 SPI, and 1 health per tick every 9 spirit.

I've always wondered how these things effected everything. This sums it up.
    Anahlahna and Friends

Re: Stats: How they effect you.

It all depends on class and level. Those int numbers are way off for pallies, for example. Also the way spirit to mana regen works is exorbitantly complicated, actually the mathematical model requires discrete delay differential equations, if you believe it.

I recommend Theorycraft, it has all the models loaded in for all levels and classes, and displays that information on your screeen in as much or as little detail as you want. Some examples of other classes conversions:

Pallies, Warriors: Melee Attack Power (MAP) = (Level * 3) + (str * 2) - 20
    Rogues: MAP = (Level * 2) + str + agi - 20
    Cat Form: MAP = (Level * 2) + str * 2 + agi - 20
    Bear Form: MAP = same as warrior
    Human Form Druid: MAP = Str*2 - 20

14 MAP = +1 base DPS.

+1% crit = ~20 agi for all classes but rogues and hunters
    +1% crit = ~29 agi for rogues, 26.5 agi for hunters

These are empirical values, and the solution curves level out, generating a "soft cap" on stats. These are not linear functions used to generate such data, but rather extremely complex second order non-linear differential equations.

Comment

52 agil=1% to crit for hunters : )
      Thunderhorn:
      70 Night Elf Priest-Lunaar(holy)
      70 Human Mage-Alava(Fire)
      70 Night Elf Hunter-Insai(Beast Master)
      70 Dwarf Paladin-Ginoldor(Protection)
      70 Human Warrior-Revenged(Protection)
      70 Draenei Shaman-Tianora(Elemental)
      70 Draenei Shaman-Fayrel(Restoration)
      Gilneas:
      50 Undead Priest-Eikyl(Shadow)

Comment

Ugh...so many wrong answers... *sigh* Okay, here's the actual break down for stats and their use.

Strength
        Warriors, Shamans, Cat Druids, Bear Druids, Paladins - 2 MAP per 1 Strength
        Rogues, Hunters - 1 MAP per 1 strength (BTW, could've sworn rogues got 2 MAP per strength, but oh well)
        Caster Druids, Priests, Mages, Warlocks - 0.5 MAP per 1 strength

Strength + Block = Damage reduced by block (its actually a formula I won't go into)

Agility

1 Agility = 2 RAP
        1 Agility = 2 Armor
        Rogues, Hunters, Cat Druids: 1 Agility = 1 MAP
        Warriors, Paladins, Mages, Priests, Warlocks, Shamans, Druids: 20 Agility = 1% crit*
        Rogues: 29 Agility = 1% crit*
        Hunters: 53 Agility = 1% crit*
        Warriors, Paladins, Mages, Priests, Warlocks, Shamans, Druids: 20 Agility = 1% dodge*
        Rogues - 14.5 Agility = 1% dodge*
        Hunters - 26.5 Agility = 1% dodge*
        *Values true at level 60 only

Stamina
        1 Stamina = 10 hp

Intellect
        1 Intellect = 15 mana (with talents 1 intel = 16.5 mana)
        Warlock: 60.6 Intellect = 1% crit*
        Druid: 60.0 Intellect = 1% crit*
        Shaman/Paladin: 59.5 Intellect = 1% crit*
        Mage: 59.5 Intellect = 1% crit*
        Priest: 59.2 Intellect = 1% crit*

*These values are true at level 60 only and have been confirmed by a post listing them from Tseric.

Spirit
        Spirit affects your health regeneration out of combat and mana regeneration in/out of combat. Honestly, not much research has gone for health regen since its slow and probably based of maximum hp so it fluxuates. Mana regen is as follows at level 60 outside the 5 second rule:

Druid: Spirit/5 + 15 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/5 mana per spirit
        Hunter: Spirit/5 +15 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/5 mana per spirit
        Mage: Spirit/4 +12.5 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/4 mana per spirit
        Paladin: Spirit/5 +15 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/5 mana per spirit
        Priest: Spirt/4 + 12.5 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/4 mana per spirit
        Shaman: Spirt/5 +17 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/5 mana per spirit
        Warlock: Spirit/5+15 = Mana regen per 2 seconds - Aprox 1/5 mana per spirit

You get 0 mana regen for 5 seconds after finishing a spell/ability that costs mana. That means using a cost negating ability like Inner Focus can stave off the resetting of the 5 seconds of no regen. Also, talents and abilities can negate the 0 mana regen.

Example:

Priest with 200 spirit would get 62.5 mana every 2 seconds outside the 5 second rule. So 62-63 per tick.
        In the 5 second rule the regen would be 0.
        With 5/5 Meditation the regen would be 9.375 (9-10)
        With meditation and 3/8 tier 2 the regen would be 18.75 (18-19)
        With meditation, tier 2, and spirit tap the regen would be 50

Regen bonuses are additive, not multiplicitive.

Oh yeah!

14 AP = +1 DPS
        1% crit = +X DPS where X is increase in damage if 1 regular hit were replaced with 1 critical hit over the course of 100 successful attacks with all modifiers added.

So if you have a 20% crit rate at x2 damage then out of 100 hits you'd crit 20 for 120 hits worth of damage. If each hit did 1 damage then you'd do 120 damage over 100 hits. If you increase that by 1 you do 121 damage in 100 hits for a grand total increase of 1.
        My sanity is not in question...
        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Wow. I'm glad I posted that errant info. Now I have much more to go by :)
          Anahlahna and Friends

Comment

Well according to the info Tarenth post. I have around 125 mana regen, with my +mana regen around 170 and with raid buffs it close to 250 and when I use the Second Wind trinket around 280. Not bad.

Comment

Wow Tarenth! Nice summary!
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Routinely my mana regen while casting alone is about 20% of total mana. I DARE YOU to calculate this Tarenth, where it's basically completely mana dependent - the more you have the more you regen.

Spirit doesnt work in combat except to speed up other abilities that allow combat regen. (like arcane meditation). So you have to calculate that into the equation as well.

This kinda thing gives me a headache.

<breaks out diff-e-q book>

Comment

Err...yes and no. The health regeneration by spirit is probably maximum based since the numbers people post are far and wide. Anyhow, its widely accepted to be a waste of time to try and calculate it since no one really relies on spirit health regeneration. Spirit health regeneration does not work in combat unless you are a troll (due to racials) and stops the moment you enter combat.

Health regeneration from hp/5 second items are another matter completely. These are supposed to work regardless of if you are in combat or not. Of course, there were some bugs in the programming that prevented hp/5 second items from working properly and are still being worked on by Blizzard to fix.

Mana spirit regeneration works regardless if you're in combat or not and gives you mana every tick of 2 seconds. This is probably why hunters can FD and drink in combat for mana but not FD and eat in combat for health. There is, however, a 5 second rule for mana regeneration. From the end of the cast time any spell or ability that costs mana you lose all spirit regeneration for mana for exactly 5 seconds. This is why priests like Inner Focus and mages like Clear Casting so much, because when you get a free spell you don't reset the 5 second block and can keep regenerating mana. This loss of mana regeneration after casting is, quite obviously, called the 5 second rule.

Combat regeneration from talents, items, spells, and set bonuses is actually a misnomer. Combat regeneration is a percent of your spirit mana regeneration that continues per tick during the 5 second rule. I suppose its called 'combat regeneration' because in most cases you would be chain casting spells and never leave this null regeneration timer. So to sum it in a nutshell when you get 15% combat regeneration from the meditation talent you are getting 15% of your spirit regeneration for ticks that fall in the 5 seconds after the end of your last spell that cost mana. After those 5 seconds are up, unless you reset them by casting another spell that costs mana, you get 100% of your spirit regeneration again.

Mana/5 second regeneration is another thing altogether. It works off its own independent timer and occurs regardless of if you are sitting in or out of the 5 second rule.

If you want to calculate your total mana regeneration then there are basically two formulas.

Out of 5SR: (Spirit Regen x 5 + Mana/5 seconds x 2) / 10 = Aprox Mana per second
                  In 5SR: (((Spirit Regen x 5) x Modifier) + Mana/5 seconds x 2) / 10 = Aprox Mana per second

Now if you wanted to find the best combination of mana/5 second and spirit with X amount of time spent in and out of the 5SR...you're on your own. :P

Something to keep in mind though...

1 Mana/5 second means you will get 1 mana every 5 seconds for a total of 2 in 10 seconds
                  4 Spirit (using priest formula) means you will get 1 mana every 2 seconds for a total of 5 in 10 seconds. However, if you cast once within those 10 seconds (assuming in the first 5) then you will lose 5 seconds of regeneration and only get 2 mana over 10 seconds.

Also, the 'end of a cast' is also the 'start of a channel' since you see the results of your spell right away. A channeled spell is a prolonged cast spell where you enter the 5 second rule from when its started and keep reseting it until the channel ends. So a 5 second channeled spell loses the 5 seconds of the spell and 5 seconds after the channel ends for a total of 10 seconds of spirit regen.
                  My sanity is not in question...
                  It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

"Wiki" strikes again... :)

So, does this mean that a talent like Arcane Meditation actually becomes more beneficial during CHANNELED spells, seein is how the total spell time is the 5 secs when the channel starts + the 5 second rule for a total of 10? So I'd be regenning mana all during the channel plus after?

Comment

no.. when u cast a channeled spell.. ur mana is taken at the start of that cast time so by the time that 5 sec channeled spell is overwith you will JUST be begining to start your normal spirit regeneration