Gear Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Clarification

The forums are full of gear related talk. Whether it be about what gear people should have for this or that instance, or where the best sites are to know what your gear goals should be.

All this has my head swimming though. My huband plays a lvl 60 rogue in a guild that is just now working towards end game status. He was fortunate to have the chance to run MC and AQ with other large raiding guilds at times. But for the most part, he's got UBRS/Strat/Scholo/LBRS/DM/etc down like no other.

He's truly equipped in the best gear he can get before moving through to MC/AQ regularly to get their gear. However, this gear is not all from one set for a rogue, nor it is a rogues teir 0 set.

Is it absolutely neccisary to have 6 of 8 peices of teir 0 to go into MC? Or is it ok to have pieces that are meant for your classes end game abilities, but not neccisarily teir 0? Or both?

My husband, Paul, has found other peices that do him better than what he could get at teir 0 until he can move forward towards the next teir.

I have a massive love for the game, but when it comes to gear, it makes my head start to spin :)

Re: Gear Clarification

There are LOTS of pieces out there that are sooo much better for some classes then the Tier 0 items. There are some guilds out there that do actually require you to have so many of you Tier 0 before they even consider letting you apply.

To me it's all about finding the best the is out there for your class, DM has some very nice leather pieces that just put Wildheart and Shadowcraft to shame as far as stats and equip bonuses.

|TG-Defiant| - It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you.

Comment

I believe what we're looking for is not a particular set, but the equipment that proves that a person has put in enough time in those instances to be trusted in MC and whatnot. I'm totally guilty of this, but A fresh 60 probably doesn't know enough about teamplay to be an asset in a raid. Rather, they could potentially become a burden. And it doesn't seem fair to hand out the Tier 1 pieces, or other very nice items, to someone who came fresh out of the leveling grind. Many people worked very hard for their set pieces, many people worked hard for specific items. To give someone totally decked out in greens epic items, hardly seems fair to those who put in hours and hours of Strat Scholo *BRS, BRD, etc..

Ideally I believe we want people to start on par with eachother, at the average gear level for when everyone else started. There are extremes to either end, but we would rather have the extremes to the upper end.

And the easiest place to base the assumption of time in teams, was the tier 0 set.

Myself, I ground from level 57 to 60 just so I could go to MC with the guild. I think that was a mistake, though, as It wasn't very fun dying all over the place.

The best person to talk to concerning readiness for MC, would be your class leader.
      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Vinzalf: I'm not any where near 60 yet on Thunderhorn. However I am knowledgeable of what it takes to do MC/AQ20 as I have 2 60's on Lothar.

While your response was helpful...I might not have been clear enough in my question. It was more about are you, as TG, expecting someone to go for their teir 0 or is it ok if they took the time, did the research, and found items that are actually better before going into MC/AQ20 (much like Iliana stated.)

I know my way around UBRS/LBRS/BRD/Strat/Scholo (dead/live)/and most of DM (I think I'm missing one...but all the pre ZG instances I'm well versed in. And I am actually looking forward to running them with a new group of folks over here on Thunderhorn and gearing up my druid when the time comes. I just wanted to know what the guild felt was neccisisary, and I mean for any class, to feel as though one is good to go for ZG/MC/AQ20.

Comment

The Tier 0 sets are good and appropriate for readiness for the next level. AND, they are not the only choices.

For example, in gearing up Beep for tanking, I never had more than 2 Tier 0 pieces because I had a different plan for getting BETTER pieces that produced higher bonuses and improved stats (especially for +Def). Blizzard actually made the Tier 0 sets more attractive by providing an upgrade path to Tier .5, but they made it VERY expensive and somewhat time consuming to do so.

The Blizz forums usually have some stickied threads that are class guides or equipment-oriented posts. Our Class Leaders can also be a resource for gear advice.

It can make your head swim...:row__628:
          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by beep View Post
            Blizzard actually made the Tier 0 sets more attractive by providing an upgrade path to Tier .5, but they made it VERY expensive and somewhat time consuming to do so.

No ****! But, the other way to look at it is the amount of money you would have spent on repairs and items needed for yourself in an instance waiting for drops to come your way might be just as expensive over time. Especially if you are a warrior. It could also be just as expensive if you spent the time hunting the AH for BOE items that would help you out.

I'm in the process of doing the upgrade quests on a mage for the heck of it (ya, isn't that sad? I have the time to do it for the heck of it! Not to mention the resources!) However, I've already found 4 other pieces that are far beyond what a .5 set would do for me.

Comment

Dont bother with the upgrade path to .5 as I've told others who've asked. Why you say?? You will NEED this money for a multitude of other things aside from even an epic mount. Also, by the time you are able to upgrade you'll be well on your way to end-game raiding, so it just doesnt make sense.

I personally got 3 tier 0 pieces, one of which I upgraded. I then used some lock gear that I liked (dreadmist). So in all I had about 5. It's extremely difficult to finish the set, and honestly, your time can be best spent elsewhere.

By elsewhere I also mean places like Silithus, AQ and ZG. REP is a GREAT way to get GREAT gear. By pursuing reputation you are also put in place to collect gear while doin the rep grind. I've got my eyes set on a lot of Cenarion battlegear for my toon, which I'm currently working badges to get. This stuff is grossly better then tier 0, but alas some a tad worse then tier 1 I believe. BUT, they make GREAT place-holders.

AND of course is the rep grind you do while you farm scholo/strat and will also get you good stuff to go along with tier 1, if not replace. But, of course, it can get terribly tedious.

TG is not a guild (at this time) where you should really have to worry a whole lot about gear. The guild gains strength by gearing its members through raids. Only if you are blatantly gimping a raid will you be prejudiced against due to gear. SOMEDAY, if TG gets too big for its britches yah, there probably will be an arbitrary limit pretty much to keep the raids from being overrun - but that's the only real purpose I see. There are other threads for this.

So, in the end, it boils down to the fact that although u can get gear from raiding... u really shouldnt devote all your time to ONLY raiding. There is much more content to be gleaned from the game. So start collectin ur Tier 0 at lvl 55+ along with AD rep, then work your way into cenarion circle at 59 and zandalar/ZG. Focus on what you like. By the time you're 60 you'll have enough gear, and the money u saved from upgrading can go to buying you more. So dont stress it... no sense in adding another "Level" for you to attain.
              Last edited by Gambit7; 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I thouroughly enjoyed the Tier 0.5 upgrade quests, and don't regret doing them. I did while I was doing them, but I don't anymore. It was a good learning experience and playing the game in a different manor, which I believe was more akin to endgame raiding than just regularly doing things.

For instance, the 45 minute baron, hard, terribly hard, but... heck we pulled off a 45 domo this weekend.

These quests were more fun than most of the others I've seen in this game, and yes the money is rough, but you don't know how rewarding it was after I was finished. (Though, It would have been MORE rewarding if it were 9 guildies accompanying me, but that is in the past)
                RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I enjoyed/enjoy Baron and scholo with good groups... but that my no means had anything to do with my upgrade quests. Largely, the upgrades mean simply farming for stuff and/or spending lots of gold - which I dont/didnt find appealing.

I guess it all depends on timeframes. Vin was around quite a bit earlier then me, so it behooved him to pursue it... and he found it enjoyable. Nowadays with a week chock full of raids virtually all across azeroth it's very difficult to work on such things. And remember, these raids are still filled somewhat with non-guildies, whereas u could be taking the slot rather then farming for tier .5.

With the fall season upon us it's almost gonna be difficult for young 60's who wish to raid to even find the time to work on tier 0 and .5, because I anticipate their presences needed in raids due to lack of attendance.

Later on, it'll be somewhat even easier for new 60s to gear because the existing members will have already passed tier 1. I.e. by the time you're 60 you'll likely be goin on MC farm runs and spending 100's of DKP. You'll have gear out the wazoo. So I wouldnt anticipate spending a whole lotta unatural time on tier 0 and .5 if I were you. Unless you WANT to. You'll naturally collect about half your set just in your basic travels, which is fine... or maybe even all - but to upgrade... pffft

Comment

I'm not sure your question was completely answered Sxy, at least it wasn't clear to me... As mage class leader, I would like to see 6 tier 0 items or better. I understand and agree that better includes other items not tier 0 like the mindsurge robes from dire maul. Generally if it's blue and level-appropriate, it's fine. There are a few + damage or + mana regen type greens that would be fine too depending on spec. We haven't made it a hard requirement, and we're loosely enforcing it for now, but we may get a little harder on it as we fill raids more handily. I also push Mages toward having a minimum 70FR unbuffed for MC.
                    Anahlahna and Friends

Comment

Sxy,

I think the key is this, if you plan on running MC you probably shouldn't show up wearing level 52 greens that you "greeded" in Mauradon. As others have mentioned, there are numerous drops and quest rewards that will get you level 55 or better blues. Some of those blues are actually superior than their dungeon level counterparts. What you lose is the set bonuses and admittedly, some are better than others. The focus should be on being properly prepared for end game content, not proving you were willing to make 223 UBRS runs to get your chestpiece.
                      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Thank you all, in all of your round about ways, you did answer the question.

The guild would like to see you approrpriately geared for the MC/AQ runs and that doesn't neccisarily mean that you have to be in teir 0, but it should be better or as appropriate if not. (I say as appropriate because I am fully aware of how many times one can run UBRS/Scholo/etc trying to get their set pieces to no avail due to no drop or not winning the roll :P)

Comment

In all honesty, I'd rather see someone in high level mixed blues than someone in Tier 0, provided that those blues were class-appropriate. Why? Two reasons:

a.) It shows they know their class and role well enough to build appropriate gear for their job,

b.) It shows they have researched multiple instances, researched the drops, and spent the time in getting them. Any clown can find out Valor legs drop off of Baron, but it takes a more skilled player to go find out what legs would be better for tanking than valor and then farm them over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf View Post
                            I thouroughly enjoyed the Tier 0.5 upgrade quests, and don't regret doing them. I did while I was doing them, but I don't anymore. It was a good learning experience and playing the game in a different manor, which I believe was more akin to endgame raiding than just regularly doing things.

For instance, the 45 minute baron, hard, terribly hard, but... heck we pulled off a 45 domo this weekend.

These quests were more fun than most of the others I've seen in this game, and yes the money is rough, but you don't know how rewarding it was after I was finished. (Though, It would have been MORE rewarding if it were 9 guildies accompanying me, but that is in the past)
                            Actually, 32 minutes from first pull to Domo :D

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamis View Post
                              Actually, 32 minutes from first pull to Domo :D
                              It's the Principal of the matter Arkamis! The Principal!
                              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X