Question about raid signup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about raid signup

Tonight, I cancelled my AQ20 signup and noticed something. When I cancelled, it left a spot open but the hunter who signed up next in the queue did not automatically move up to take my spot. I notice that Quarathtg was able to take the spot after I cancelled. I just wanted some clarification for fairness for future raids. My understanding is that the people that are in the queue will move up to the open spot if someone cancels. The way I noticed the error was based on the signup date and time. Thanks and I'll await your answer.
    "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Re: Question about raid signup

If you queue, you queue, thats it. I don't remember if theres an option to automatically move people up, but that isn't necessarily what we're using queuing for. I put myself down there for this weekends MC because I'm going to visit the TG'ers from the North East. I'll have a laptop with WoW on it, but no guarantees that I'll be there. If I were to automatically get bumped up if a rogue left, that would put me in a position I do not want to be. The position I want to be in is the queue until I know more about the situation on Sat/Sun.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

To my knowledge the new raid sign up uses the same procedure of time fixed number assignnment that the old system did. Probably because, contrary to popular belief, it was working as intended.

However, we do get a number of niffty new tools with the new raid system!

We can, as you noticed, move from the raid/queue to the confirmed canceled list. However, once you cancel you can't uncancel which means you're left to begging an officer if your plans change once more.

We can edit notes if things chance. Something I REALLY REALLY like.

Also, we get a nice and easy to see log of what raids we signed up in the past, present, and future. Though I'm going to guess the history section has a date limit and will start dropping old raids eventually.

Movements from the queue list to the main list are typically done by officers who watch the lists. If it really bugs you that there's a spot open and if you're next on the queue then let them know and they'll bump you up. You'd be bumped up anyways once they refered to it for invites, but it makes the site all pretty for people who have concerns about those things that much sooner. :D
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

This is an issue because if for instance, as of Monday, there are two rogues (Ricca and Ghoric, let's say) already signed up for a Wednesday AQ raid, then Shal is forced to signup to the queue. Shal can and does want to attend, but he has no choice at this point. Then if Ghoric cancels his signup on Tuesday morning, and I come to the site shortly thereafter, I would be able to take the newly opened rogue spot, while Shal is left in the queue. This doesn't seem fair.

Ideally there should be two different types of queued signups: "active" and "on hold"; where the former means that you can and would like to attend the raid for sure so you should be bumped up automatically if a spot becomes available, and the latter means that you're unsure of whether you'll be on-time or available at all so it's best to stay in the queue.

Make sense?
        Ninja

Comment

Not sure if I made myself clear but here's my concern. When the raid spots are all filled, you have no choice but to go to the queue. So in turn if you do not get bumped up to the raid if a person cancels then you are, SOL? I don't think this is fair.

I mean isn't the queue meant to be there to hold your place in line so that if your class is full and if someone cancels you are next in line. Or maybe we need clarification on what we are suppose to use the queue for?

Usually, if you queue right off the bat you're going to make a comment of why you queued so that might be a way to tell who queued up right off the bat or who had no choice.

Not trying to be a pain here or criticize the system, I'm just trying to get an official ruling/explanation from the officers which I think might be needed to avoid any confusion or hard feelings.
          Last edited by Muirc; 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM.
          "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

I confess to being underinformed of the actual mechanics of our signup site software, but here's how things SHOULD be working...

1. If you are a main, and there is an open slot, you should be able to take a signup spot.
            2. If you are an alt, then you should ONLY queue (even though the site will allow you to signup). If you do sign as an alt, then you will probably be queued by a Class Leader or RL.
            3. If you are a main, and there is not an open slot, you may only queue (doh!).
            4. Ideally, the software should move up queued players into a newly vacated signup slot...BUT...(so far as I know)...it can't distinguish main from alt, so it probably does nothing. This means that a newly "vacated" slot could be filled by a "newcomer" main who came after a queued main. The way we expect to manage this (Class Leaders and RL) is that within 24 hours of raid start, we will be moving ppl...filling open slots from the queue (mains>alts>non-guildies)...and double checking signup times to resolve the early queued vs latercomer mains.
            5. If the Class Leaders need to switch toons for a fairness/rotation adjustment within a class, they will also do so in the last 24 hours preceding the event.

This isn't perfect, but it's what we have for now.
            Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I've had this happen to me when signing up for a Raid and so to solve it I simply paid more attention to the signup times and alerted the RL that my time was more recent then someone in the signup even though I was in the queue.

I know this requires more work, but it's not like it takes more then a few seconds. RLs would have to scan the ENTIRE list repeatedly in order to automatically bump people up - obviously this is unrealistic.

So, it behooves you and your CLs to pay attention to the signup times in your classes. Better yet, you can make a note in your signup of your situation. Now that you can edit it at will, this makes that all the more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                So, it behooves you and your CLs to pay attention to the signup times in your classes. Better yet, you can make a note in your signup of your situation. Now that you can edit it at will, this makes that all the more useful.
                Amen! Adding info to your note could be critical in helping your RL/CL in making decisions.
                Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Siulung/Beep....I did make mention of that as I said "Usually, if you queue right off the bat you're going to make a comment of why you queued so that might be a way to tell who queued up right off the bat or who had no choice."

But I don't think people go back to the signups after they have signed up for a certain raid. That is why I brought this up and in the case of my original post about AQ last night, there were two hunters queued before Quarathtg so one hunter was left out when it should have been Quarathtg in the queue.

Maybe it's just going to take some time to get use to the SOP you posted Beep but I wanted to point it out because I did notice it. It was a little late but should be noted nonetheless.

Thanks again for posting the SOP, Beep.
                  Last edited by Muirc; 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Ok, one thing I did notice is that if you cancel you can't get back in the raid ever. So even if something changes, and you want to throw yourself in the queue, you can't.

Might want to fix that.
                    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

The only way to tell someone who queued because it's full from someone who queued because of time issues is the note. If you queue, please comment on why so we can move you up if appropriate. There is no way for us to automatically fill a slot if somebody drops down. I would like to see the software not allow it to be filled if it was once filled, so everybody queues once a class is filled, but the only way this can happen is if everybody is forced to queue and class officers fill the raid from there. We did consider this option. For now, if everybody notes that they are queued because slots were full, we can switch you out for somebody who filled a slot after somebody cancelled if the queued person was signed up first.

If you cancel and would like to get back into a raid, talk to a class leader, they can push you up.
                      Anahlahna and Friends

Comment

Just figured a way to make it easier for everyone, at least I think it's easier. Instead of hitting the cancel button on raid you can't make, edit your comments to say "Cancelled" or "Can't make it because of....". This way an empty slot is not left open and the RL/CL knows to pull from the queue. I think this is the fair and easy way so no one loses their place. By the way, I had to cancel for AQ tonight so you can see my signup as an example.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by msheahen View Post
                          This is an issue because if for instance, as of Monday, there are two rogues (Ricca and Ghoric, let's say) already signed up for a Wednesday AQ raid, then Shal is forced to signup to the queue. Shal can and does want to attend, but he has no choice at this point. Then if Ghoric cancels his signup on Tuesday morning, and I come to the site shortly thereafter, I would be able to take the newly opened rogue spot, while Shal is left in the queue. This doesn't seem fair.

Ideally there should be two different types of queued signups: "active" and "on hold"; where the former means that you can and would like to attend the raid for sure so you should be bumped up automatically if a spot becomes available, and the latter means that you're unsure of whether you'll be on-time or available at all so it's best to stay in the queue.

Make sense?
                          nno... the sight would recognise that there are more rogues signed up than spots for.. everyone that signed up after somebody canceled will be defaulted into queue