X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heal Rank 2

WoW Priest Boards: Aid's guide to Heal Rank 2

Why use low rank heals?
    +Healing has the same effect on low rank spells as it does on high ranks spells, so long as those lower ranks weren't available before level 20. This has an interesting effect as you collect more and more +healing gear: low rank heals start to get quite sizable, but still cost the same amount of mana. So long as you are getting sufficient health per second you can save a great deal of mana by using low rank heals.

Why Heal Rank 2?
    Priests learn Renew rank 3 at level 20, Flash Heal rank 1 at level 20, and Heal rank 2 at level 22.
    Renew rank 3: Renew rank 3 is limited in use because its health per second is so low unless youíre spamming it across a lot of people. The players in your raid should not stay at low health for long enough for this spell to heal them back to full.
    Flash Heal rank 1: Flash Heal scales nicely with plus healing but it is not an inherently efficient spell and it is not as cheap as its speed and size would warrant. Being a 1.5 cast means it gets 50% of the +healing bonus that Heal gets but it is not 50% of the mana cost.
    Heal rank 2: This rank of Heal has a number of advantages. It is cheap, it has a talent to make it cheaper, and it has a talent to make it faster. Since talents that increase casting speed do not reduce the +healing bonus you get this provides a nice health per second boost which is very important for low rank heals.

Why not lower rank heals?
    Lower rank heals like Heal Rank 1 ends up being even more mana efficient, but they take an increasingly large hit in health / second. In the end youíre usually able to heal more by not casting for a few seconds to get a few ticks of mana regen outside the 5 second rule.

Whatís the point of these efficient heals of they heal slower?
    As you progress in 40 man instances the fights become longer and longer. Ragnarous will take you 7.5 minutes to kill the first time, The Twin Emperors take 15 minutes. To sustain a high amount of healing for this length of time you really need to conserve as much mana as you can.

What amount of +Healing do I need?
    At +300 to healing spells Heal rank 2 is more mana efficient than the top rank of Greater Heal, and it gives 50% more health per mana than Flash Heal. This is a good time to start using it as a filler heal when you donít need a large heal and have an extra second to spare.

How well does it scale?
    Heal rank 2 is the best scaling Priest heal in terms of health per mana and health per second. The more + healing you have, the better it is.
    Lets assume that you have all the relevant holy talents:
    +300 to healing spells
    Heal rank 2: 763 health, 305 health per second, 4.39 health per mana.
    Greater Heal rank 5: 2545 health, 1018 health per second, 4.21 health per mana.
    Flash Heal rank 7: 1102 health, 735 health per second, 2.9 health per mana.

+400 to healing spells
    Heal rank 2: 849 health, 340 health per second, 4.88 health per mana.
    Greater Heal rank 5: 2631 health, 1052 health per second, 4.36 health per mana.
    Flash Heal rank 7: 1144 health, 763 health per second, 3.01 health per mana.

+500 to healing spells
    Heal rank 2: 934 health, 374 health per second, 5.37 health per mana.
    Greater Heal rank 5: 2717 health, 1087 health per second, 4.5 health per mana.
    Flash Heal rank 7: 1188 health, 792 health per second, 3.13 health per mana.

+600 to healing spells
    Heal rank 2: 1020 health, 408 health per second, 5.86 health per mana.
    Greater Heal rank 5: 2802 health, 1121 health per second, 4.64 health per mana.
    Flash Heal rank 7: 1231 health, 820 health per second, 3.24 health per mana.

+700 to healing spells
    Heal rank 2: 1106 health, 442 health per second, 6.36 health per mana.
    Greater Heal rank 5: 2888 health, 1155 health per second, 4.78 health per mana.
    Flash Heal rank 7: 1274 health, 849 health per second, 3.35 health per mana.

How does this effect Druids and Paladins?
    Druids get almost exactly the same effect from Healing Touch rank 4, and Paladins can use Flash of Light rank 1. Flash of Light is worse for health per second, but is the god of health per mana because it gets the full bonus for a 1.5 second cast and only costs 35 mana.

What does this all mean?
    With enough +healing gear, Heal rank 2 becomes your staple heal on long fights that you will want to be using most of the time. On short fights like 40-man trash mobs and 5-man bosses you can spam Flash Heal no problems, but against 40-man bosses it should be an emergency heal only. Use Greater Heal whenever you think you can land one and Renew on anyone that will keep taking damage, but most of the time youíll be chain casting the humble rank 2 of Heal.
    I have around +750 to healing spells getting nearly 1200 health from 174 mana, and I couldnít live without it.

As raid fights get longer, mana efficiency and regeneration becomes one of the most important aspects to healing. The magic amount when it comes to priest spam healing is 1000-1200 or so. For sustained healing you'll want to be throwing heals that hit for about that much. Less than that and you won't be healing your target enough; more than that and you'll overheal most of the time. If you can heal for 1000 with Heal for much less mana than before then you'll be able to heal for longer periods of time before you go oom. Once you hit 200-400 +heal do some tests and find out which spells you can cast that will reliably heal for 1000-1200. When I had less +heal I would use Heal 4 as my main heal. Now that I've gotten a little bit better gear I find that Heal 2 is adequate as my spam heal.

This doesn't mean that you should only ever cast Heal. If that was the case then there would be absolutely no skill involved in healing. Shields, Renews, Flash Heals and Greater Heals are important spells too. The health per second of Flash Heal will always be higher than that of Heal. If a tank is dropping very fast or a healer goes down and you see his tank has very little health, shield fheal fheal gheal is probably your best way of saving him.

These things take time to figure out and get comfortable with. Run an easy 5man (holy redundancy, batman) and try to get by with just Heal, Greater Heal and Renew (unless there is mage/lock ae action going on. shield+fheal is still your best bet there). If you just don't like it or you have trouble keeping a tank up then by all means go back to fheal. Try to give it another look later when you get more +heal gear though.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: Heal Rank 2

Im patiently waiting for Blizzard to fix the way +healing applies to lower rank spells just like they fixed the command seal to be more beneficial on judge with rank up.

The biggest problem here is that if you have the gear for +500 or higher healing then you probably dont need to use lower ranks to conserve mana. You should already have a large mana pool and efficient enough skill to put out heals when needed.

If you have very little +healing (less than 200) then you cant afford to use lower ranks that much especially if you are healing tanks taking heavy damage. If you are healing people taking periodic damage then you should be able to regain the mana by regening it while not casting.

Now I am not saying doing this is exploiting, no, not really. But when they do fix it, well make sure you know how to do healing the normal way. As for those "long" fights like twin emps 15 minutes, etc, you can easily use healing rotation or a single mana potion to keep your mana up if your group who is doing healing is efficient in cancling out heals instead of letting a heal go through without healing for enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
      Im patiently waiting for Blizzard to fix the way +healing applies to lower rank spells just like they fixed the command seal to be more beneficial on judge with rank up.

The biggest problem here is that if you have the gear for +500 or higher healing then you probably dont need to use lower ranks to conserve mana. You should already have a large mana pool and efficient enough skill to put out heals when needed.

If you have very little +healing (less than 200) then you cant afford to use lower ranks that much especially if you are healing tanks taking heavy damage. If you are healing people taking periodic damage then you should be able to regain the mana by regening it while not casting.

Now I am not saying doing this is exploiting, no, not really. But when they do fix it, well make sure you know how to do healing the normal way. As for those "long" fights like twin emps 15 minutes, etc, you can easily use healing rotation or a single mana potion to keep your mana up if your group who is doing healing is efficient in cancling out heals instead of letting a heal go through without healing for enough.
      You must be confused...in fact...I KNOW you're confused.

The difference between the old SoC scaling and new SoC scaling is very simple...it didn't. With the old SoC you'd get the same result using an lower rank regardless if you judged it or not. In fact, the only difference was in the level difference resist modifier. With the new SoC you get the ability to do more damage on a judgement with a higher ranked SoC than a lower ranked one.

The way they fixed +healing and +damage gear scaling is by making everything under level 20 (as noted in the original) take a penalty to the modifier. Healing 'normally' IS using lower ranked spells and affects to get the most bang out of your bucks.

And for the record? It does scale very nicely along all ranks. A higher ranked heal will still heal more than a lower ranked heal. The only difference is the cost to benefit ratio swings towards lower ranked heals. I suppose you COULD wait until the tank is down 3000-4000 hp and then hit them with the highest ranked gheal...but no one wants to risk playing the 1% game on boss fights.

Something else to add to the original fight:

If you're fighting a mob that screws with healing due to mortal strike or similar healing debuffs, you can get around that somewhat by casting your highest rank of lesser heal instead with good +healing gear. Just spam cast that baby and you can slow down the health decline without taking the hit to your mana too hard.

This is mainly because you lose less from the debuff with lesser heal than with normal heals. Of course, you're still losing a crap load of your heals and the healing is horrible for one priest to do it alone, but the mana drain makes it worthwild if several do it in tandum.
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Thanks for posting this; very helpful to me as I continue to maximize my mana usage in these boss fights (I hate running out of mana...)
        70 Priest

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X