Delirium Platoon Leader
    Fate Squad Leader
    All round fantastic dude

Re: Australian TV - Kid Addicted to WoW

Chad... that is awesome!

Comment

A) WoW is NOT a violent game.
      B) Which one of you is that guy, don't be shy ;)
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Hahaha, you gotta love ACA and Today Tonight.
        "Oh noes, computer games taught me how to swear!"

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
        |TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

WTH?

16 Hours a day, a 500 player guild.... WTF is he doing still wearing pally pancake shoulders?

and that bit about the kid in China who wanted "To be with the heroes of the game"
          Um. Hello. If you think that WoW was this child's only problem... I'd like you to meet the other 20 million players of the game.

Anyways, I tend to think that this story may not have been 100% legitamate. I don't know about you, but If some news reporter came into my house and started doing a story about me having an addiction to a game that is resulting in me being violent.... I'd give them one heck of a show, not sit at the screen being stoic and playing a pally constantly beating on the same freaking tauren.

Oh yes, they might be all like, "See, we were right, it does make you violent."

While I'd be more, "No, I get violent when people come into my house to persecute me." Oh and I'd add in a "KTHXBYE" to it too.
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Pieces like this make me very sad and annoyed with the current trend parenting and parents seem to want to walk upon.

A child is influenced by whatever they spend the most time with. In the 'ye ol golden age' that influence would be from the parents, teachers, and mentors. However, now it seems like people think its acceptable to let video games and TV replace human contact and act as a babysitter for your kids. While its true that it will keep them in place and make them easier to find (no more 'shenanigans' with friends in town) it also means those same TV programs and games your child is playing will have a bigger impact in their life than you. Then those same parents seem surprised that the TV and games they dismissed as acceptable things to spend hours of time with are having a bigger impact on their lives. And you know what? The world will accept it because the parents who care are too busy spending time with their kids.

When a kid on TV or in the world says "I learned my violence from violent video games" I hear "My parents bought me this violent video game and let my play it unsupervised as much as I wanted. Since they never taught me differently I took it to be their lesson for me of life".

The only reason someone would play 16 or 32 hours of WoW straight would be because everyone else let them. Wanna know a fun way those parents could've stopped them? Its so easy its funny.

1) Provide real world diversions. Get them into the real world and under that bright glowing orb of burning called the sun. See a movie, go shopping, go out to eat, do SOMETHING. And for the love of all you hold dear TALK to your friends or kids. Just like everything else try and provide an interesting conversation with them at a similar level. Playing 16 hours of WoW a day? Well guess what? They're interested in WoW! Do a little research into it yourself and strike up a conversation about it.
            2) Play the game with them. We have a community here of children, parents, siblings, and family members who prove that ANYONE can learn to play the game and take enjoyment out of it. There is no age limit where this no longer becomes fun. Don't like your kid playing hours on end 'alone'? Buy a copy and jump on line with them. At the best case senario you'll be there and providing digital companionship with your kids. At a not so best case senario your interest in it will make it 'uncool' and turn them off it. As the worse case senario you'll both walk into Ironforge and the sheer amount of lag will keep them from playing. Hell, there's even the option of kicking them off the computer so you can play instead. ( ^_^ )
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I think its hilarious how stupid ppl are. WOW is good. Like I learned everything Iknow about sex and relationships from WOW! maybe thats why im messed up....

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

Its hilarious to see stupidity in action when you are enlightened. However its also very sad to see that same stupidity held up as fact when you know it to be biased and false.

"OMG those people are idiots" makes it funny because yes they are stupid.

"WTH? That was a NEWS BROADCAST?!?" makes it sad because it legitamizes the stance that video games are a problem that should be dealt with and not bad parenting. -.-
                My sanity is not in question...
                It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Just a little bit of context about the show:
                  It's that sort of TV show that every week runs shocking new exposés about "dodgy builders ripping off innocent old grannies", "the terrifying truth behind our meat", "the new diet taking Australia by storm" and "the amazing new range of bras coming to our shores". Replete with confrontational interviews in the street, and intrusive shoving of cameras in peoples faces while they try to go about their business. Quite seriously, they just run the same old crap again and again in an effort to scare people so much that they never leave their television.

Classy tv.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  |TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin View Post
                    Just a little bit of context about the show:
                    It's that sort of TV show that every week runs shocking new exposés about "dodgy builders ripping off innocent old grannies", "the terrifying truth behind our meat", "the new diet taking Australia by storm" and "the amazing new range of bras coming to our shores". Replete with confrontational interviews in the street, and intrusive shoving of cameras in peoples faces while they try to go about their business. Quite seriously, they just run the same old crap again and again in an effort to scare people so much that they never leave their television.

Classy tv.
                    This is precisely the reason why I don't have cable. 70$ a month to tell me everything I enjoy is bad and that I need to eat more fast food.

Netflix FTW!

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

this was the same kind of interview they did on EQ. Do you guys still remember EQ HUH HUH DO YOU! OOH I would have to say yes I was adicted to EQ but wow not so much now. well ok a little bit but not as bad as EQ.. stupid EQ

Comment

I really got a good laugh out of this piece. I have a whole house full of WoW players and we enjoy playing WoW as often as we can... but the thing to remember with ANYTHING is that moderation is good.

I personally found myself playing too much and my expanding waisteline was just one of the things that was an evident clue. Since this revelation you all havent seen me in game as much. I actually started working out and dieting and as of this week I am down 52lbs since April of this year. I am in the best shape in over 15yrs. I take martial arts with my middle child which I havent done since I was teenager but I am able to keep up and have joined cardio kickboxing (1 guy --- twenty women.. woot)
                        My other two children play football which takes up many nights and weekends and will continue till mid November. Once this is over you will see all four of us playing more atleast till summer football camps start. (hmm is martial arts and football violent hee hee)

I am saying all of this just to show that parents involving their children in things outside of the house is all in their power. This lady could easily stop the addiction... TURN THE DAMN THING OFF!!! Sign him up in sports or art classes or heaven forbid.. start walking around the block with your child.. great exercise for you both and you might actually get in a conversation about LIFE.

I rarely agree with Tarenth but in his above post about how parents using computers and TV as a means of babysitting and then being surprised by the results of such is just insane. WoW is not to blame.. music is not to blame.. tv is not blame.. the responsibilty lies within themselves. I know many parents will start the claim of being to busy to keep up with their kids.. but I am living proof that it can be done. I am a single parent raising three boys( 13, 10 and 9). The mother of my boys passed away 4 years ago and I work a job that requires me to travel 8+ times a year. Yet I am still able to be involved in football practice/games, matial arts, school work/events, and of course countless hours of WoW. I cant tell you how many nights we have stormed through Scarlet Monastery together... or while we (TG) are raiding.. they are looking over my shoulder.. (yes Doof thats why I ask you to watch the language).
                        So for anyone that says they dont have the time to be involved with their children.. I would say your not trying hard enough. I know there are cases that may seem more difficult but in todays electronic age.. it is so much easier than ever before.

I love this game and have loved sharing it with my kids. We have a total blast playing together.. and I would even love to be the focus of this tv show.. let them come to my house and I will show them the flip side of this coin.
                        Last edited by Ashenhart; 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Attention new applicants:

If you plan to off yourself in the event that your application is declined, please let me know in advance. I'd like to be able to fill your spot for any upcoming raids that we would've possibly invited you to. QQ.

Oh, and don't forget to turn on your webcam!

Comment

LOL i seen this video and as I was watching it I was thinking if my kids walls looked like his (holes all in them) there would be one thing come to mind "he needs his @$$ whooped".. I agree with Ash no reason why that boy should be spending 16 hrs a day on a computer..Take him camping,shopping, or to a ball game. I spend alot of time on here but lately I have been spending more with my kids. My whole family plays this game so my daughter and i can go run an instance together or go kill something while my son is like kill the cat or the bird is gonna eat you..He knows its not real for we have sat and explained this to him.. Any way It is addicting but to a point where you get violent or punch holes in the walls come on there is bigger issuses there...Who is paying the bill? It is the parents fault stop payment on the game, take the pc away, make him clean his room and fix his wall while on a years restiction..After a while he will get over wow..lol...
                            Candrice 63 Warrior
                            Ricca 70 Rogue
                            Machelle 70 Mage
                            Enya 74 Druid

Comment

I couldn't watch the whole video... I got the withdrawal shakes halfway through and had to log into the game.

whew. that was a close one

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X