X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to chew

http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/20...-from-top.html

Re: Something to chew

This is definitely a worthwhile item...AND written from the point of view of someone who has left the game with a point of view to match.

The game is a time sink and potentially caustic to a lot of RL issues. Everyone needs to find a balance that works for them. That writer found his by leaving.

Others may find a different solution.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Since I started playing WoW:

1. gained weight, lost muscle.
      2. Can't play bass worth a damn anymore
      3. Social life? is like...a RL raid or something?
      4. social skills. what social skills.

WoW has screwed me over, but I have my friends in and out of the game. I've wanted to leave, but I stay, I dont know why.

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
      BY FIBER BE PURGED!! TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
      TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS

Comment

I found a solution, i told myself I wouldn't commit to raids on weekdays so I can focus on school and other real life obligations. Thus I find myself back home at TG, doing what I can to help others.

Comment

Originally posted by Halten View Post
          Since I started playing WoW:

1. gained weight, lost muscle.
          2. Can't play bass worth a damn anymore
          3. Social life? is like...a RL raid or something?
          4. social skills. what social skills.

WoW has screwed me over, but I have my friends in and out of the game. I've wanted to leave, but I stay, I dont know why.
          I'd like to think that my social skills are still intact. But yeah, seeing as how i've come from being an overworked individual who hated his job and used WoW as an escape from that, to being an unemployed person who hates being unemployed and plays WoW to escape from that...

round and round and round i go. I know i'm addicted... to the people i play with. I could give up the game if i could spend hours talking to Luna or Alava or Kashah in real life. but i can't, so i keep playing. /sigh.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Good read.

I feel that I possess enough of an ability to avoid addictions of any type that I don't really have to worry about WoW. I play when I have time away from RL things, and I enjoy myself. I know my limit, and I won't sacrifice my life for the game. There was a period of time between when I started in January to now when I would play *a lot*, but even then it was just because I really didn't have much going on in RL.

The only concern I have now is a recent urge to never miss a DKP raid because I don't want to "fall behind". This hasn't really led to any problems yet... "yet" being the operative word, of course. That's the only thing I need to get under control, especially when my girlfriend is in town or if I have potential plans with friends.

Beyond that though, I still have time to hold down a job, work out, eat well, relax, watch a little bit of TV, etc. The bottom line is the game is fun for me, and I can control myself. So it all works out in the end. However, I can certainly recognize that it, along with so many other things, is a potentially destructive thing when used by the wrong people. It's an unfortunate reality.
            Ninja

Comment

heh, this game has actually made me MORE social

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

WoW...(pun intended)....I'll post more on this later...That guy is well spoken and sees things from a leaders side...pay attention.

Comment

That was depressive...

I felt exactly like him when I needed to make a break from WoW to take care of RL.

I considered quit playing WoW after 9 weeks, the game came up to me in a very close circumstance...

Then I got a job with a flexible schedule and decided that hardcore end-game was my priority, a terrible mistake.

I used to play at least 10h a day, some people here know for sure that I’m talking 100% the true.

I remember killing 2 world bosses, raiding Molten Core and Black Wing Lair (Firemaw, Flamegor, Ebonroc, Chrommagus and Nefarian) in one day.

Most of you guys that know me for a long time, used to see me at 4:00pm st. in BwL, around 10pm in AQ-40 and sometimes a late night ZG because I was "bored" having nothing to do...

I used to play ice hockey 3x a week regularly, spend good time with my family, gf and friends before WoW and those "hardcore" days weren’t good to me.

When I realized the time WoW made me spend to get all decked out was a little late... my grandma was dying, my gf was pissed with this game, my social life ended, I was sedentary (hopefully I don’t smoke and usually eat healthy food).

After so much effort and dedication putted on this toon, what have I got? Trust me, nothing.

The day I logged back, I found myself guildless, kicked for inactivity... even though the GM and class leader were aware of my RL problems and the fact that I was in the guild when we killed most of BwL bosses for the first time.

Moral of the history: In hardcore guilds, the structure will keep working with or without you, do not neglect your life because of this game.

I know 4 people in this game that went through a divorce. I know one that quitted because he was deeply addicted and in need of psychological treatment.

I myself know how tempting it could be "the other side" and understand why some people leave a family guild like TG to try "higher goals"... but the price is too high, take a look around, how many of our decked out players are back?

Most of us, geared, and with hardcore end-game experience came back to TG, why? Because we have all bosses in farming level and Naxx will start next week? Sadly that’s not our reality.

I could tell some names here, like me, Alava, Phantom, Manny... do we still want to raid like pros? I personally don’t and I doubt they do.
                  One day after I logged back and found myself guildless I had an invitation to join a guild that actually have all instances in this game but the last AQ-40 boss and Naxx in a farming, Luna knows that I’m telling the true and can confirm, so does Celltar.

At the same point it was tempting (very, indeed) to come back to a stage even higher than the one I stopped and further than my previous guild actually achieved, I decided it was the time to STOP before it finishes with me and all I care.

Those who know me recognize that I’m always very frank when saying what I think so it doesn’t bother me the fact that this is an open forum, as long as it could be of any help to other people.

Maybe, the experience of someone closer than the writer can be an alert to you guys and/or those that considered – or are considering – leaving us with the sole purpose to get geared quickly.

I actually have to fight on me the “dark side of the force”, one half says: “Let’s get your final tier 2 pieces and start Naxx” but thanks God, the “force” keeps telling me: “Get a life looser! Go dedicate sometime to your girlfriend and family”.

For what it worth, I want to be in a guild where I have mature conversation with people that have real feelings and other goals in life.

Killing Nef and AQ-40 bosses is a blast for sure, but making virtual friends from all over the world becoming real life friends… priceless!

Love you all,
                  SL.
                  sigpic

Comment

Consider it chewed.
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I have to say, a post like this makes me so thankful for the flexibility and mutual understanding we have in TG. Being a group of people who all have pretty massive RL obligations, we still manage to have a good time and find new stuff to kill :) I have never seen anyone pressured into playing when they can't, and this is a great thing.

My story is a little different from the blogger's. I started playing WoW when, like Gaviin, I didn't have much going on in my life. I had just passed my Master's exams (which involved 7 months of intensive studying) and was about to move to NYC to find a job in publishing. I didn't have any concrete plans and, once I got here to NY, I realized that the job market was just as cruddy as it was at home.

Almost 1 1/2 years later, (and 40+ days played), I am in a PhD program, teaching English and Italian, living with my girlfriend of 2 years and still managing to cook something nice for dinner almost every night.

I know that, were I not in a guild like TG, I would have had to quit a game that I have enjoyed very much and has put me in contact with so many awesome people. It's been an escape for me when I've needed to escape and have some fun, but TG has also made it possible for us to take our hands off the keyboard and deal with RL as needed. "Real Life comes first" - this is the best way to run a guild full of REAL PEOPLE.

Thanks TG!!

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Many of you that know me well, know that I have taken a huge reality check away from the game. I came to TG after I left a leadership role in the Velvet Blades and at that time I needed a real break from WoW. I appreciate that TG has offered me a home that I have been able to come and go as needed.

Since coming to TG and taking a break from the game. I have:
                        1. Lost 52lbs (I have lost over 4inches in pants waiste size)
                        2. Focused on my childrens sports activities (my youngest will be playing for a state championship in football).
                        3. Joined TaeKwonDo and have earned my first strip. This has also included enrolling all 3 of my children and I got to teach my youngest and middle child how to do push ups and jumping jacks.. sheesh what has happened to PE class in schools.
                        4. Joined a TaeBo class and I am more healthy today than I have been in over 15yrs
                        5. Started dating again.. something that I havent done in over a year and a half.

I truely believe that I have gained control of my life again. Something that I felt WoW had taken control of and I dont foresee me ever losing touch of that again. I will still play 10-20 hours a week but not at the cost of RL. I truely see now that you can do all things in moderation. The game will always be here and the endless grind will continue with or without me and I plan to play on my terms now.

Speaking of playing, soon winter will be here and football season will come to an end and I plan to be in more RAIDS. I still need to face Vael and eventually want to be there when we face NEF... I am also looking forward to BC and I know that I will get to see that with my TG brethren and this will all be a brand new world for us.

Thanks TG for allowing me to have a place that I can come and go. Thanks TG for being understanding that I will not be in every RAID.

Several of you I have made some "true" friendships with and I really have alot of admiration for you and I feel I will always have you as friends even after we have all moved on to whatever game comes up next.. whether that be WoW expansion pack 1 million or wherher that be some other game that is fun and exciting.. That is the draw that brought me to Tactical Gamer... it is about a community of mature gamers that are "like minded".

Thanks TG!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashenhart View Post
                          Many of you that know me well, know that I have taken a huge reality check away from the game. I came to TG after I left a leadership role in the Velvet Blades and at that time I needed a real break from WoW. I appreciate that TG has offered me a home that I have been able to come and go as needed.

Since coming to TG and taking a break from the game. I have:
                          1. Lost 52lbs (I have lost over 4inches in pants waiste size)
                          2. Focused on my childrens sports activities (my youngest will be playing for a state championship in football).
                          3. Joined TaeKwonDo and have earned my first strip. This has also included enrolling all 3 of my children and I got to teach my youngest and middle child how to do push ups and jumping jacks.. sheesh what has happened to PE class in schools.
                          4. Joined a TaeBo class and I am more healthy today than I have been in over 15yrs
                          5. Started dating again.. something that I havent done in over a year and a half.

I truely believe that I have gained control of my life again. Something that I felt WoW had taken control of and I dont foresee me ever losing touch of that again. I will still play 10-20 hours a week but not at the cost of RL. I truely see now that you can do all things in moderation. The game will always be here and the endless grind will continue with or without me and I plan to play on my terms now.

Speaking of playing, soon winter will be here and football season will come to an end and I plan to be in more RAIDS. I still need to face Vael and eventually want to be there when we face NEF... I am also looking forward to BC and I know that I will get to see that with my TG brethren and this will all be a brand new world for us.

Thanks TG for allowing me to have a place that I can come and go. Thanks TG for being understanding that I will not be in every RAID.

Several of you I have made some "true" friendships with and I really have alot of admiration for you and I feel I will always have you as friends even after we have all moved on to whatever game comes up next.. whether that be WoW expansion pack 1 million or wherher that be some other game that is fun and exciting.. That is the draw that brought me to Tactical Gamer... it is about a community of mature gamers that are "like minded".

Thanks TG!!
                          My hats off to you, Ash, for (a) finding a workable balance, (b) staying involved with the guild, (c) sharing your thoughts with us, and (d) keeping your motivation. I agree with you about enjoying the friendships and relationships that can transcend "the game". Other places may offer a similar social/guild experience, but I like it here and see no reason to look.

What I like most about TG is that we work together to make game progress, and we do so with a welcoming attitude that allows for players to be a part of the game when they can.
                          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

the link is blank for me =.(