Vegemite! Noooo!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegemite! Noooo!

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

No wonder Jan and Anah never got their Vegemite i sent them! :(

Delirium Platoon Leader
    Fate Squad Leader
    All round fantastic dude

Re: Vegemite! Noooo!

This is the most amazing thing ever.

Comment

weird...
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Wow... Actually Jan's boss' husband is a bonded food importer from Australia (we just found out). Supposedly he's bringing us a jar soon. Will be interesting to see if it makes it. Is English vegimite any good? I saw a little jar of that in the grocery store.
        Anahlahna and Friends

Comment

WHile i feel bad for all the transplanted Aussies in teh states....i don't think any american born person can tolerate vegemite, and i still am trying to figure out the craze of it (and Marmite) to you Aussies! i lived in Australia for a few years and i tried SO hard to acquire a smidgen of a taste for the stuff..yeah..wasn't gonna happen...while everyone made faces at my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..i made even more about your vegemite sandwiiches...it takes like a yeasty, salty, crushed up vitamins....it has to be a genetic thing lol. But love Oz anyway, would move back in a heartbeat :)
          If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is X; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -Albert Einstein

Comment

This is how an urban legend starts.

Here's an updated link, as the original media source is backing away from the story: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...9-1702,00.html

No US officials have been willing to confirm this story, and plenty of grocery stores have been selling this stuff for years. Folates are allowed in many foods, not just the items listed in the story, and the FDA doesn't seem to have any regulation that would ban Vegemite.
            ---
            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
              This is how an urban legend starts.

Here's an updated link, as the original media source is backing away from the story: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...9-1702,00.html

No US officials have been willing to confirm this story, and plenty of grocery stores have been selling this stuff for years. Folates are allowed in many foods, not just the items listed in the story, and the FDA doesn't seem to have any regulation that would ban Vegemite.

I read The Sandbox quite a bit and Switchcraft seems to know more about more things than I ever thought humanly possible. Good to see you in here man.
              Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
              Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
              ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Thanks!
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

chad... glue a peanut butter sticker OVER the vegimite sticker.... u might fool the FDA.... prolly not.. but what the hey... if u attempt it enough.. u might find a few FBI at your doorstep.. attempting to 'eliminate the vegimite threat'.. then when theyre done asking you questions.. ask them if they wouldnt mind bringing a jar back with them. =D