No announcement yet.

Time to start practicing the 1% game...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to start practicing the 1% game...

Originally posted by Drysc
    Change to Coefficient Bonuses on Spells | 10/24/2006 02:01:20 AM UTC

In the Burning Crusade, we’ve decided to make a fundamental change to the way spells calculate the bonus they receive from +healing and +spell damage effects and items. This is because we have seen a growing trend in using “downranking” and large amounts of +healing items, which we feel negatively impacts game balance. Downranking involves high-level players using lower level spell ranks and +healing gear to conserve mana, but maintain a high rate of healing done. Through this method, it has become possible in the live game for healing characters to heal large amounts of damage indefinitely without running out of mana. To maintain progression of use through spell ranks, we are changing how lower ranked spells relate to characters of higher level.

Spells will now receive a smaller bonus from +healing and +spell damage based on a comparison of the level at which the spell was learned and the caster’s current level. Take the Priest spell Heal 2 as an example:

The spell is learned at level 22, and the base points for healing on the spell keep increasing until level 27. So, level 27 is considered the spell’s max level in our calculation.

This system gives an additional 6 levels of slack before applying any penalty to casting Heal 2; so, players up to level 33 can cast it with no penalty.

In this example, we will use level 34 (one level past the cast level of the spell) as a starting point.

The bonus from +healing is multiplied by this ratio:

((spell level)+6)/(player level)

That means the level 34 player only gets 97% of the normal bonus from +healing items when casting Heal 2. A level 60 player would only get 55% of the bonus, while a level 70 would get 47%.

The exact same system will also apply to damage spells. However, as healing classes tend to use downranking more often than others, healers are likely to see more effect from this change than other classes. As a general rule, players will be able to use the top 2 or 3 ranks of each spell before receiving any penalty. All of the existing ratios for the +healing and +spell damage bonuses on spells are also still in effect; so spells with a short casting time will continue to receive a smaller bonus than spells with a longer casting time. Spells learned below level 20 will still receive substantially smaller bonuses.
    Gonna need to get back into practice using just gheals to keep a group up. Bye bye ezmode heal2/4
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Time to start practicing the 1% game...

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
    Gonna need to get back into practice using just gheals to keep a group up. Bye bye ezmode heal2/4
    How far do you downrank? Sure no more indefinite spamming of Heal Rank 2. But if the top 2 ranks have no penalty then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think any of our priests really are downranking to the point that this is going to be a huge monkeywrench.
    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
    Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
    ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

I only downrank the Holy Light sometimes, from level 9 to 8. Have both on my "key" bar and use it depending pretty much of the moment we are, not necessarily a protocol since sometimes you know you have to overheal and you feel your heals are the ones with the perfect timing, whenever you stop or do not crit your MT gets down to 30ish%, downranking in this example would not be a very clever decision. So, it depends pretty much of the occasion...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos View Post
        How far do you downrank? Sure no more indefinite spamming of Heal Rank 2. But if the top 2 ranks have no penalty then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think any of our priests really are downranking to the point that this is going to be a huge monkeywrench.
        I toyed around with this a bit, but really only use spells maybe one or two levels below max if I down-rank at all. So I'm not too worried about this.

Though I am interested in what I've been missing by not playing around more...
        70 Priest

Comment

Originally posted by Wintrow View Post
          I toyed around with this a bit, but really only use spells maybe one or two levels below max if I down-rank at all. So I'm not too worried about this.

Though I am interested in what I've been missing by not playing around more...
          I'll have to dig around the WoW forums to find the post about down-ranking and various levels of +healing. Based on my own experience (I have about 650 +healing with my normal stat gear) Heal Rank 2 is very effective. But often I'll slide back into just Flash Healing the top rank through trash in MC. Its not nearly as efficient but we don't really need efficiency through the trash mobs anyway - just keeping people makes the raid goes faster. I never use GH Rank 4 because all it gets me is a bunch of overheal - but thats just more about the spell than the +heal. I don't like waiting long enough to actually make Rank 4 not overheal (and I'm sure our tanks are happy about that).
          Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
          Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
          ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

This is mainly against druid healing in my opinion. I've seen it all over druid forums. We "downrank" to rank 4 Healing touch...faster cast time...With enough +Heal, it's like a high rank with a 3rd of the mana...

(Sure other classes do it also, but druids are notorious for +heal gear)

Comment

Actually since I have close to +700 healing with my priest I centered my healing around using the bigger spells instead of flash healing. If you haven't noticed, my priest's mana is abyssmal at around 5000 in full blue/green healing gear which is just about 2500-3000 shy of other priests in their epics and yet I can still give a good accounting for myself in raids and tend to be one of the last to run out of mana (barring someone getting an innervate).

Anyhow, at around that level of +healing you will see heal 2 hit for 1000-1100, heal 4 1300-1400, gheal 1 1500-1600, gheal 2 1700-1900, and gheal 4 2500 - 2700. Heck, Lheal 3 (at 75 mana) tosses back heals of 400-600 which is a good bargin for a 2.5second cast.

Downranking is a great way to stretch a smaller mana pool with the proper timing since your lower cost spells hit for an amount similar to your more expensive upper ranks. Of course, this becomes a serious problem in BC which is why I can see it being changed.

With the new gear going up to level 70 the current system of 'up to 20' for diminishing returns to +damage/healing bonuses becomes more dated then it currently is. With top of the line gear people can spam cast heal 2 for up to 1500 hp and keep regening mana to maintain such healing for long stretches of time. In fact, patchwerk is one of those constant heal situations where you need to par down healing for more DPS to fit the time limit and downranking spam casts becomes a must for mana conservation. However if the mana regen of 70 gear improves significantly (as it seems to be doing) the cost of heal2 will become just about as much as the regen thus making it so the priest can heal well without EVER running out of mana. Of course, if you change the base returns level to a higher position (like level 30) you are unfairly placing that change to people stuck at level 60 because they did not purchase BC. So...new spell mechanics.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

This effs pallies. Hardcore.

Comment

not so much priests.. but paladins.. this will be a major change... most nubadins i know.. have a low rank spell as theire'staple' heal spell...