Friends, Paladins, Lend me your ear!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends, Paladins, Lend me your ear!

In 1.13 (aka WoW 2.01) all classes are getting a massive overhaul. My initial reaction is that overall, the damage output of a raid will be significantly increased. I personally have not been as excited about a patch since I've started this game.

Massive changes to the entire structure of the paladin class are going to necessitate a few changes to the way we raid. Paladins are a support class, and as such we're going to have to tweak our support buffs to be effective. While I'm not the CL, as a RL I'd like to see a good spread of paladin specs, bearing in mind that with new healing power in Druids and Priests, paladins will be playing less of a main healing role than we have been.

Here's a link to the spec I'll be going for level 60:
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00003125031041

This gives me two raid buffs of major relevance. The first is Sanctified Crusader. Sanctified Crusader buffs my Judgement of the Crusader to give a +3% crit chance from all sources of damage against a target. That's melee, spells, weapon procs... everything. That's like having a feral or oomkin drood on an entire raid. Sexiness!!!

The second is Improved Sanctity Aura. Basically, this will increase healing done to the targets affected by Sanctity Aura by 6%. This, I predict, will change a number of strategies. Allow me to highlight how I will be setting up groups for Vael:

Group 1: Tank Bank
    MT1
    MT2
    Pally (Improved Fire Aura)
    Pally (Imp Sanctity Aura)
    Priest (PoH)

Group 2: Tank Bank
    MT3
    MT4
    MT5
    Pally (Imp Fire Aura)
    Priest (PoH)

Group 3: Melee DPS
    DPS Warrior
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Pally (Fire Aura + 3pc Lawbringer Bonus for Imp JoL in a DPS role)
    Priest (Holy Nova)

Group 4: Melee DPS
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Pally (Fire Aura)
    Priest (Holy Nova)

Group 5: Hunters
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Druid (resto)

Group 6: Caster DPS

Group 7: Caster DPS

Group 8: Caster DPS

Basically, the major change is to group 1. Devo aura is nice, but on a well-geared tank like Beep, it only amounts to like 1.3% damage mitigation. Sanctity Aura will increase the healing he takes by 6%. 6% > 1.3%.

Further, the improved resistance auras reduces the damage taken by that school of magic by 5%. So 5% reduction from pally, 6% healing boost from pally + stackable HoTs = win!

With the new stackable HoTs, we can loosen the load on pally healing for them to be able to keep their judgements up. Bear in mind that in the new talent review, paladins no longer have the Lasting Judgement talent, which means that to keep our judgements alive we HAVE to be meleeing. Having a Ret pally in G1 and a Ret pally with his 3 piece Lawbringer bonus in G3 will increase the overall healing done to the melee classes by an absolute amazing level.

I see good things happening with these new talents, and the pallies have lots of strategizing to do!

Re: Friends, Paladins, Lend me your ear!

Paladins are just one of the many massive changes there will be. In the priests we will see a new group heal (Circle of Healing), an increase in the raid viablility of shadow priests (increase damage by everyone on their target, reduced mana costs, 5% of shadow damage returned to group as mana), and a 10% if spirit increase to +damage and healing from the new spirit buff.

The increased mitigation in the Prot tree for warriors and the increases in the damage trees as well will show a very nice upgrade as well.

We definitely will need to adjust things as we go, so everyone will need to be on their toes and adjust on the fly as needed as these new talents go into effect.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

It sure seems that with all of the alternate spec's being bantered about that we're going to just have to get accustomed to not having the same setup night in and night out. The smaller raids (25 man) this is obvious, but even in our 40 mans its going to show up.

Even assuming we make the attempt at keeping the 40 mans balanced with 5 per class (or roughly that) we're going to have to consider the specs alot more. Personally I love this and hope that many different specs become raid viable and we don't need to min/max in order to progress. But its going to take some getting use to for all of us, whether its class balance in raids or item prioritization changes or just getting rid of our own prejudices of what a class should or shouldn't do.
      Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
      Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
      ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Dibs on group 5.
        QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
        Nice remark guys.

Comment

I sure hope that a feral druid is one of those main tanks or we are gonna have to save Beep from Crebis .... I suppose balance druid falls into caster dps then?

Comment

I'd actually rather have feral druids in DPS form, not tanking form. Warriors can shield wall on the transitions, druids cannot.

Comment

what about devo aura with MT grp?
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

nvm.. this is vael