I think I have carpal tunnel :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have carpal tunnel :(

I've notice recently that my left wrist has been kinda sore. No, it's not from that, I'm right handed :) Anyway, I think the combo of working on my laptop all day and gaming at night is taking it's toll. Today is hurts like a mother!!

I've been using a Nostromo N52 for most of my gaming and last night went back to the keyboard with little relief. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas or experience with this. I really don't want to stop gaming but I can't keep popping six Advil everyday.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Re: I think I have carpal tunnel :(

I suggest getting a wrist brace. It should help to stabilize it. In addition, get an ergonomic keyboard. I had serious problems with this after playing my bard in EQ (otherwise know as walking carpel tunnel) and getting an ergonomic keyboard helped a ton because it forced me to keep my wrists straight. Highly recommend it.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

My employer recently installed a program on all company computers called WorkPace, and it basically monitors your work intensity and tells you when you should take breaks. During the five-minute breaks that it recommends, it will show some stretches that you can do to help relieve some of the physical strains that come along with working at a desk/computer all day.

So basically I think if you were to get on a regimen of periodic breaks and stretches, it would probably help you out. As for what stretches you should do, you might want to talk to a doctor or research it at WebMD or something like that. You definitely should do something about it because yeah, six Advil a day is very bad on your stomach.
      Ninja

Comment

The wrist braces help A TON! (My doctor recommended wearing them when I sleep) Also streching your wrist when it hurts helps a lot too

Comment

I was having wrist problems a few years ago and went to an orthopedic doctor.. Had been working on a tiny laptop keyboard, etc. Did the x-ray dealio and it was "just" tendonitis. Doc gave me some Celebrex and some big, bulky wrist brace. Celebrex helped, but the brace was just too cumbersome. I replaced it with an Ace bandage wrist wrap and bought myself a natural keyboard. Still some pain every now and then, but not near as bad.

So, go to the doc.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Great advice everyone.

Gaviin, the program who speack of is nice and needed in todays office jobs.

For good measure, I would take a break soon.

Your a warrior, so tell the WoW gang your going on a quest and stuff.

For real, the muslces are overworked casuing inflamation. They need a break something fierce. Seeing how Wow does not put food on the table i recommend you 86 that for a week.

Take a break,
            go to WebMD and get stretching and ergonimical protocols to do during the day and do other relaxing things at night. aoltv.com shows free Batman the Animated episodes!!
            get some cool ergonimical equipment (like the ace bandage wrist wrap)

Stopping the inflammation is needed at this point. Medication and drugs should be considered after other options have failed.

So says my master, Grandmaster High Cleric Cruise, from the World of Scientilogy.

Cheers.
            (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
            (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
            (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
            Squad Leader pledge to their team:
            Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
              Great advice everyone.

Gaviin, the program who speack of is nice and needed in todays office jobs.

For good measure, I would take a break soon.

Your a warrior, so tell the WoW gang your going on a quest and stuff.

For real, the muslces are overworked casuing inflamation. They need a break something fierce. Seeing how Wow does not put food on the table i recommend you 86 that for a week.

Take a break,
              go to WebMD and get stretching and ergonimical protocols to do during the day and do other relaxing things at night. aoltv.com shows free Batman the Animated episodes!!
              get some cool ergonimical equipment (like the ace bandage wrist wrap)

Stopping the inflammation is needed at this point. Medication and drugs should be considered after other options have failed.

So says my master, Grandmaster High Cleric Cruise, from the World of Scientilogy.

Cheers.
              And you passed college? :(

On topic: Everybody knows you can't take a break in the middle of a dungeon, duh! lol
              |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Not unless you baricade the doors, and have a night watch. Ahh the days of D&D!
                Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Bear, I'd make sure you have a simple hand rest behind the keyboard. Most modern keyboards come with this, BUT most laptops dont.

The absolute best solution is to buy a wrist/hand-rest for your laptop.

There's also a GREAT solution by IMAK called "ergobeads". You can get em at OfficeMax/Depot and they're great as a mouse-handrest. But, you can also use em for your keyboard if needed. It's basically a bean-bag and feels divine.

Getting a brace and all that is a roundabout solution and doesnt really address the problem, which is your keyboard/mouse arrangement. The ergo-board is a good idea too, but some people cant get used to em.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper View Post
                    And you passed college? :(

On topic: Everybody knows you can't take a break in the middle of a dungeon, duh! lol

I assumed there were mages that could teleport him out of the dungeon.

Of course, why would they do that? They need his blade to protect them on the quest. He may be stuck there for some time.
                    Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 11-30-2006, 06:07 PM.
                    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                    Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

http://www.jointpainremedy.com/
                      Ive never had a problem after this.. Seems corny, but appears to work.
                      QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
                      Nice remark guys.

Comment

While everyone's situation is different, I've dealt with a similar situation and found relief by configuring things so that I avoid "bent wrists" while mousing & keyboarding. In my case that means actually reversing the slant of the keyboard so that the keys are flat to sloping away from your wrists...and that's with the ergonomic keyboard to boot.
                        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

You bring up a good point, Beep. Many keyboards are designed with little flip-out stands that, when flipped out, result in the back of the keyboard tilting up. This is very very bad, ergonomically. Why they still design keyboards this way is just mind-boggling to me. You always want to make sure that the keyboard lies as flat as possible and that your wrists are as straight as possible when typing/playing. A more neutral position will obviously reduce the strain on your joints quite a bit.
                          Ninja

Comment

The Nostromo sort of has a built in wrist rest but I wouldn't exactly call it a pad. I really only use my keyboard for typing in chat. I'm starting to wonder if I've been unconsciously holding it at an odd angle because if I bend to the left there's a pretty decent amount of pain. It does feel sorta stiff so there may in fact be some swelling.

I never had any issues before when I was playing shooters all the time using just the keyboard so I'm going to attribute this to the N52. I'll start popping some Glucosamine and Chondroitin that I have and see if that makes it better.

Edit: just a quick update, I just went down to the office to do an ergonomic check and noticed that the N52 makes me cock my wrist up at about a 30 degree angle :( That's not good!
                            “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

I've found ergo keyboards do help keep the stress down. One of the few Microsoft products I like is their ergo keyboard.
                              --
                              Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...