Aar: Bwl 12/1/06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aar: Bwl 12/1/06

Just startin this thread like I said on TS to reflect on what went on and how we can improve all encounters in the evening, from Razor to Broodlord. For those that dont know what AAR means, it stands for After-Action Report. Basically a debriefing, but with more of a brainstorming flavor.

So add your thoughts and suggestions as it pertains to a TACTICAL nature please. If you have personal gripes, whines, moans, etc. then be an adult and simply write them directly to the person this involves or like Manny said, to an officer. This thread is for tactical-raid improvement only.

That being said... Razorgore fight IMO (from mage perspective):
    Went very well because of our malleability during the fight. It was an occassion where many times we would wipe but we didnt. On the Mage end we stationed a frost mage in the center to protect kiters and healers via Frost Novas and low-rank cones of cold. If agg was needed to be pulled off, then maximum insta flamestrike, etc. The RL smartly set up groups such that the dmg was still even in every corner even short 1 warlock, this includes rogues of course as Sajier described in-raid.
    During the raid we lost all of the hunters, but since we held our ground in the corners most nme mages were already dead. And having Gaze in the center bought us time to join the kite chain later then usual. Once the nme mages were dead all mages then joined the chain and focused on protecting the remaining tanks and healers that drew aggro.

-The main issue I saw with this is the BEST way to save the tanks and limit healer aggro is Frost Nova. In our 1st wipe this worked in saving center healers directly, but the healers didnt know to run (Luna). If a Frost Nova is casted (and it should only be done if absolutely necessary) then said mage MUST inform the healer to run. A few droods in my corners may remember my screams on TS to run after you've drawn agg and I FN. Healers shouldnt look back or worry about being stunned; by the time the FN wears off regardless if ur stunned or not u should have no problem running and healing yourself. In this manner, NO healers should die during the raid. Low-rank Cones of Cold are GREAT for slowing down mobs w/o drawing aggro, but it really takes concentration to place it well enough to have max. impact. As well, it's not enough sometimes if the friendly has been stunned. Use your judgement on this I think. I generally use the CoCs when I'm coming from the center to keep Tanks alive, focusing the attack on the mobs at the tank.
    -As for tank protection, it's best just to run alongside with them and make them aware when ur pulling/slowing mobs that get too close. It's only really necessary during this phase if a tank gets stunned or mobs get to them from the sides.

Vael fight:
    I believe this went super smooth once we didnt lose so many healers initially. We did have one wipe where it could be said we should've still succeeded, but I believe indirectly it still doomed the raid as much of our DPS is negated once that grps. healer dies. Unfortunately, if pickup heals are called then that means a tank might not be getting them. For this, I simply make it known on TS that our healer is dead and leave it to the healers and RL to sort it out. RLs MAY want to think about shifting healers into DPS-heavy grps if that grps healer goes down. If there's a priest in a hunter-group and the mage/lock grps healer is dead, then it makes sense to move the priest out of the hunter grp and into the caster grp. This buys us DMG over time and is the less of 2 evils IMO. Anyways, i have no idea how that end of the fight is done so maybe a RL or healer can chime in.
    -Supreme Power flasks: we MUST ween ourselves off of these. These things go for 60G apiece. The mats are super rare. We SHOULD have enough dmg regardless as long as enough casters show up for the raid and we dont lose our healing. Yes, it's all about healing... mages literally will swap gear dependant on how much and who we've got healing our grp. Example: My grp had a priest (Wintrow) and oomkin. We set our gear up for 110 FR and piled on the dmg. When Wintrow died, we were gimped severely because our FR wasnt enough for simple pickup heals. Good healing = more dmg. Dead/Bad healing = less dmg and wipe at 8%.

Suppression room:
    <sigh> This is where it gets sticky. Personally, my toon is built for BWL. He's a full arcane aoe caster-tank. If I wanted I could put nearly 1000 dmg per instant cast PER aoe target if I'm in an oomkin grp. I learned by the end of last night that I have to tone it down or else I die - repeatedly. The issue arises however, that in order to a) pull whelps away from dragons b) speed up our movements that healing MUST shift to mages/locks. It's a serious balancing act when we've got dragonkin nearby. Initially, arcane explosion mages HAVE to pull whelps away from the dragonkin because tanks engage the dragons usually with whelps following. This works great because the aoe wont agg the dragon. When we're in our alcoves either the tank always must pull the dragon away, the mage must pull the whelps away, OR we can just aoe them all dead quickly if heals go to casters. Again, it's all healer dependent and something I think we need to work on in our strat. How much pwnage do you want the casters to deal??
    -another note: When the RL calls for us to speed up, heals MUST go to mages or mages will die and then guess who dies next?? yup... healers. Tanks will never be on top the agg. list except if they're tanking a dragon (and they'll only be agging the dragon really). As such, I think they should just always be assigned healing and NEVER deviate. This way the rest of the healing can be more agile with the casters. When tanks CANT pull dragonkin away from the group (when we're suppressed) mages cant pull whelps away either because I BELIEVE blink wont work (right?). So, only way out is MASSIVE quick dmg or the raid will wipe. Massive quick dmg = more caster heals.
    FR: I think for ME I'll be wearing more FR for dealing with the dragonkin and to automatically lessen my dmg. Killin 2 birds with one stone.

So, that's all I can think of on the mage end right now. None of this is gospel of course. Just want to gain the knowledge i need to be a killin machine. So those with ideas, viewpoints, corrections... shout it out. I know we like to have definitive STRATS, but I'm of the belief that unless we're spontaneous we will definitely wipe when we dont need to. Better to be prepared for every situation.

This definitely aint MC...
    Last edited by Gambit7; 12-02-2006, 06:35 PM.

Re: Aar: Bwl 12/1/06

/RL chime in.
    I know that you mages are powerful, but shifting a healer out of the hoontar group and into your group would screw up the fight just as much. hunters have crazy DPS, AND the ability to feign out if they get to high on the threat meter, so it's important to keep them up as well.

Just my two cents.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Originally posted by Manetheren View Post
      /RL chime in.
      I know that you mages are powerful, but shifting a healer out of the hoontar group and into your group would screw up the fight just as much. hunters have crazy DPS, AND the ability to feign out if they get to high on the threat meter, so it's important to keep them up as well.

Just my two cents.
      uh oh!! do I sense a mage vs. hunter dmg. fight?? :)
      nah, we need everyone up I agree... I dont fully understand dmg. mechanics (although I tend to think many of the mages can outdamage most huntards... <cough> i mean hunters - with no pets) so I'm a newb in these regards. How the groups shift is completely the RL's call.

I assume during Vael we're still doing the 2-RL routine where one can shift grps and one can monitor and give orders? I remember that one fight when u and Ark teamed up and Vael died because of it.

As for feign vs. mage aggro... we can generally pile the dmg without agg. because of arcane spells and low-agg ice casts where a hunter's only solution is feign (which costs precious TIME). I've only seen 1 instance of an over-agged Mage and that was with Dewidkat after while bein in an oomkin grp. critted a million times while on the juice (oils and flasks) casting ice. I think Zeeg might've done it once also on Arcane Power. As for me, I'll be up in the top 5 in the beginning of the fight and then slowly drop out due to pure Arcane subtlety - so no worries.

What would happen if we mixed hunters in with mages/locks?

Comment

No Mage vs. h00ntar fight needed.
        it's not odd to see hoontars and mages fighting for the top spot on damage charts, so again, it's a Six to one half dozen arrangement.

As for swapping groups, I was flying solo last night, jimmying the first two groups as tanks came and went, and there were a couple people who got moved into healer groups, but all in all, the group set up staid the same.

Mixing up the ranged casters wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't be horribly beneficial either. if you'd like Siulung, I can show you the ropes in the Vael fight next time, and you'll be able to see what the RL's see and how we generally cope with it. (you stop seeing people, and instead see little spikes on the damage charts :P )

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Originally posted by Manetheren View Post
          No Mage vs. h00ntar fight needed.
          it's not odd to see hoontars and mages fighting for the top spot on damage charts, so again, it's a Six to one half dozen arrangement.

As for swapping groups, I was flying solo last night, jimmying the first two groups as tanks came and went, and there were a couple people who got moved into healer groups, but all in all, the group set up staid the same.

Mixing up the ranged casters wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't be horribly beneficial either. if you'd like Siulung, I can show you the ropes in the Vael fight next time, and you'll be able to see what the RL's see and how we generally cope with it. (you stop seeing people, and instead see little spikes on the damage charts :P )
          Can more then one person move people around?? Forgive my newbishness but I forget. If that's possible then maybe we could have someone taking care of the ranged people. Say, if the healer in caster grp "A" dies, then those people can be slowly shifted to caster grp "B" when a member there dies to make space, etc. This will minimize the pickup heals.
          Last edited by Gambit7; 12-02-2006, 08:21 PM. Reason: minimuze aint a word

Comment

No, only the leader can move people.
            Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Well in a way the assistants can as well, but it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

/kick player 1
              /kick player 2
              /invite player 2 *takes player 1 spot*
              /invite player 1 *takes player 2 spot*

Yeah...very very ugly.

And Suilung? You are SO getting a misdirection shot right after Gaviin. I don't think your comment on hunter damage is even worth a rebuttal. :P
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

just my two cents .... when i try to do damage... there isnt a mage that comes close.. the only thing htat can hold a candel to me is gaviin
                ( who.. as of late.. passes me)