Aar: Mc 12/2/06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aar: Mc 12/2/06

Welp, this was an interesting Raid to say the least. I actually thought it went a bit quicker because the mood was lighter - even though the TIME it took was actually longer. Some of u may disagree with me on this but 3 boring hours is worse then 4 fun ones IMO.

That bein said, yet again we had a few instances of people's spacial awareness laxing and causing a few wipes. RL ALMOST caught them in time, but alas twas too late. Made for a good laugh though. As long as we can laugh about it it's all good. Also, we had some newcomers. Which is a GREAT thing. This means new people are gettin gear and learning and exploring a new dungeon. YES, we wiped a few times because of this learning curve - but it's worth it and a necessary evil. We just gotta make sure everyone is educated before we move between engagements.

A secret I learned when I first went to MC is simply to follow someone in my class I felt comfortable with. Become the "apprentice" so to speak and be that person's shadow until ur comfortable. If you try to go solo you will probably die and/or cause a wipe.

Also, for us mages, one of the things we're trying to do now is really break up the long night by making sure our gear preferences are in order, we know ALL the loot a boss will drop, and we always have SOMEONE there to pick up loot to prevent DEs. This is easily done with those who have 2 monitors as one can simply have the loot tables and DKP up. Of course, there's that new version of Atlas that came out with loot tables as well. Anyways, not only did it help the night go faster but it made the loot on our end easier and quicker. Since most mages are geared now it's more important we do this to prevent DEs (we can pull in another mage/alt to pickup loot if necessary). We also had a few occassions of people passing even though they had the DKP lead, since the greater CLASS/Guild impact was to be had by doing-so. In this, the mage class as a whole REALLY got a damage boost.

Now for strat. Skippin to Domo, I think we died simply because of tank targets gettin loose somehow right? Once that was fixed we were fine. A few times sheeps had dots or were gettin hit with aoe, but that's minor. Another thing I noticed is that not everyone gets Raid warnings for the Magic that is up on the servants. I realized this and started throwing detect magic on them once the sheeps were down. Then barking it on TS. I believe this is something we MUST adopt to prevent wipes that shouldnt happen. Of course, the only magic that really matters is Magic Reflect.

Ragnaros: Rags shouldve went down. I think this was one of those times where we might've left out the little things that would've gotten us through. We didnt repair like we usually do before the fight - so a few people (not me though) had gimped pieces I believe. IMO, we should always repair... the investment is 12G on a mob that drops what?? 100-150G? And either way you'll have to repair anyways. Also, soulstones need to get handled... maybe assign someone with the title "Teh Soulstone Reminder Person". And no, this is not the 1st time we've had to call raids because of soulstones. Also, we werent real anal with the fire pots. I personally made the dumb choice of only using mine during the Sons, which USUALLY works... but if in phase 1 I dont get focused heals and get unlucky knockbacks then I will die, which is what happened (this is why ONE mindset is NEVER good). We also didnt pass any out, another mistake. If we intend to one-time Rags BEFORE the Sons then we need to definitely pass out pots.
    I know you guys dont like us calling out how many mages we have during Sons, but we've gotta do it. Healers must know if/when to really focus on mages. Obviously if there are only a few mages left for Sons, they will DIE without focus heals and the raid will probably wipe. 1 mage went down before sons, then 2 during... However, we ALMOST lost them all (that's when I blurted out "Heals"). That said, we were left with 2 for the remainder of the fight. (remember: rags was up at 1%)
    The last phase I noticed that some of our casters were too far from the rest of the group. Yes, it's good to be spread out.... but u gotta be aware that you're out of range of any kind of healing or bandages. Also, even though we were spread out we were still packed together in small groups. So when the knockback came the WHOLE group went flying. Bear in mind that healing is minimal near the end and I've found it better to be closer to the center of the room actually... instead of at the starting position. Iliana made the smart move of abandoning her post to help the other healers, but in doing-so isolated some casters. This was when I asked them to move... but unfortunately healers were OOM :( So it ended up a dmg. gimp. If caster groups lose their healing it should be made apparent on TS sooner, this way we can adjust to compensate (take pots, bandage, move in closer, etc.)

Anyways, overall a great night I think... from my perspective. Again, I can only comment on what I see, usually in my own class. If anyone has anything else to add, PLLLLEEAASSSEEE do-so so we can shore up our tactics BEFORE we start raids.

Re: Aar: Mc 12/2/06

The magic reflect is a 50% chance to reflect the spell. It's nothing that can't be healed out of, same as the melee reflect. It's not really that big of a deal. Just keep the damage output steady and not insane and you'll never have to worry about more than 1300-1400 reflected back, and that's a priest Flash heal away. Everyone should have a working CTRA to see the shields themselves, or just know the color: purple=magic, white=melee. Keeps things less complicated when your RL wants to give out a more important command, especially since those shields go up and down quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamis View Post
      The magic reflect is a 50% chance to reflect the spell. It's nothing that can't be healed out of, same as the melee reflect. It's not really that big of a deal. Just keep the damage output steady and not insane and you'll never have to worry about more than 1300-1400 reflected back, and that's a priest Flash heal away. Everyone should have a working CTRA to see the shields themselves, or just know the color: purple=magic, white=melee. Keeps things less complicated when your RL wants to give out a more important command, especially since those shields go up and down quite often.
      Yah... it SHOULDNT be a problem really. But if you have 10+ casters all casting spells which can largely do 2000 dmg per shot, it's not a good thing gettin reflected on. It can also take healing focus away from tanks and make us short sheepers and slow on dmg. Domo's random fireball attack also causes fits by basically finishing you off if u've been reflected on or your sheep gets popped and u get hammered on.

I know this is knit-picky but hey... if it prevents a wipe then it's worth it. As for CTRA, unless ur really studying the mob once he casts reflect/shields, most people wont notice unless there's a raid warning.

The compromise is just assigning the standby mage(s) to put up Detect Magic and informing everyone to pay attention to what's on the mob. If the RL so chooses he can bark out the magic on the mob. We had a Raid once where we did this and it worked well. Keeps the chatter down on TS too of course. Also just making sure the sheeping mages arent actually attacking anything keeps them out of trouble.

Comment

If you install Boss Mods, and unselect the "alert to raid" option, it will spam your own screen without interfering with the raid. It's what I do so I'm aware in a fight.

Comment

My thoughts on the Rag fight... (I was healing the caster group so that's the perspective I'm giving here.)

The caster group being so spread out makes it difficult to keep everyone in range. From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the random knockback (not the melee one) that bounces the casters around can be resisted depending on FR. I don't know what amount of FR the casters are using but if you're getting knocked around constantly it may be wise for CLs to encourage the casters to put on a bit more. I know it gimps your stats, but any of our healers can keep you alive until sons as long as you stay in range and don't get stuck in the lava from a knockback. When the sons come we need to get better at grouping up tighter and have the warriors blow through a challenging shout rotation. As soon as the first warrior does theirs if it can be announced on comms by the RL or warrior then thats the que (and only then) for everyone to get the hell away. The reason our AOE classes get WTFPWND by the sons is none of the healers have any mana because the sons are sucking it all away. I've gone into the sons phase with over half mana before and within seconds its all gone. I know often the warriors are doing their challenging shout but people are already spread out by then. Grouping up tighter and having the challenging shouts announced would really help the mana users get away.

Also, it should be on individuals to bring their own Fire Protection Pots and we should use them. Its great if the guild wants to pass some out, but we should look on that as a bonus and come prepared ourselves. Managing potion timers and hitting a fire pot before the sons really does help.

Perhaps if the RL is down he can move groups around but I think they are doing that already.
          Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
          Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
          ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Yeah, the sons phase continues to be the one that gives us significant trouble. To get Rags below 20% before the sons and still wipe is simply embarrassing. Pistos's suggestions are good, and I think they'd help us handle the sons better. It just seems like we're a well-oiled machine during phase one, then the sons hit and we start running around like chickens with our heads cut off. We have to start being a bit more organized and disciplined.
            Ninja

Comment

The mats for Fire protection are real easy to get. 1 Dreamfoil, 1 Elemental Fire and 1 Crystal Vial. Ricca can make, I always bring mats to have some made.

I plan to start helping Ricca with mats for the Flasks, which will help the raid overall succeed. My Alt priest can make 2 of 5 Flask atm. Everyone has to bring their game face and be ready.
              "As Above, So Below"

Comment

I can't add anything to the Rags fight as I was swimming on the lava formost of it. First throw sent me back and I was able to get out teh far side. By the time I got back to fighting range we sons. Imediatly afte that while returning to position I found my self thrown in the drink again with reduced health froms sons damage I didn't last long.
                "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X