Tech Support Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Support Question

Well since I'm sitting in login-queue I figured it would be a good time to do some more research on a computer problem I'm having. It seems that every forum I ask this question to bounces it off as someone elses problem, so maybe somebody here might be in the same type of situation as me...

The headset I use for Vent/Teamspeak is USB. Its pretty comfortable, has nice controls, and most importantly no static or cracking sound. (so in other words, I'd like to keep using it) The problem, however, is that I don't want to use it all the time. For example, I might spend 6 hours playing WoW on a given night. But only 3 of those hours might be in a dungeon where I need comms. The rest of the time I'd like to use my nice stereo surround (and give my ears a rest).

Here's where it gets tricky... lets say I boot up WoW in speaker mode. Then an hour or so in I get an invite to a raid where I need Teamspeak. I would have to exit the game (leaving raid/party), change audio devices from sound card -> USB headset, restart the game, possibly be stuck in a login queue, and then hope to get my spot back in the raid/party. Now before you jump on the obvious, yes I already have Teamspeak setup to use the USB headset for input/output always. But if I don't exit WoW then I can't hear anything in-game (wow audio). I know some people could care less about that, but I'm like some of you who posted in Halten's music thread. Without the audio I feel disconnected and unaware of my surroundings.

So since WoW has no /slash command that I know of to reload audio (using the current device drivers - kinda like we do to reload changed mods), I have to restart the client everytime I want to switch between headset & speakers. The ironic part about this is that I chose the USB so it could plug-in to my keyboard, and save myself the hassle of having a headset plugged into the back of my computer (which gives me little slack, and tends to get tangled up in other stuffs back there)

I'm really hoping I'm missing some obvious configuration method that will make me feel like a noob. I figure some TG'ers probably have a USB headset, but I'm guessing you either use it instead of speakers or you just turn down the speakers (wow audio) when you get on Teamspeak. Any ideas?

Oh, and I've posted questions on Logitech's forums & WoW's forums... with little to no response. Basically Logitech users think its a lack of functionality in the game, and wow players think I should "l2hear". :p

Re: Tech Support Question

Hi Zimbwar,

Not sure this helps much since I'm on a Mac, but I'm guessing it's a similar set-up.

My system sound output preferences are set to the internal speakers, built-in output port (WoW only).

TS input/output preferences are set to the Logitech headset (TS only).

Alternatively, I can set the system sound output preferences to the Logitech headset (USB port) at which point I get both WoW & TS via the headset.

Comment

Ah, but can you change that setting while in game? Thats my real problem, changing it w/o having to restart wow.

Other programs (winamp for example) I can change the primary audio device, and all I have to do is hit stop and then play for it to take effect. I'm leaning toward this being a limitation of the WoW client, but I'm hoping theres some kind of /slash command to reinitialize the audio with current directSound settings.

Comment

Most people that I know that are doing it the way you are.. are using two sound cards and using teamspeak on another soundcard than what the game uses.

Comment

Another idea would be to get a non-usb head set. I have my speakers and headset hooked up into a splitter that hooks into my sound card.

The problem is when you start WOW you are starting it with all the sound drivers that you are useing. To switch them it needs to reload it so it can use the new settings. Im not all that positive you can ever change them system wise without having to reload WOW.

just found this..
          http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...o/indetail.asp

its a usb sound card like your headphones have. You can still use your USB headphones but when you wanna switch you just plug that in and then plug your speakers into that, it should work.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I used to use a usb headset for a while and had the same issue. I never found a cure just lived with it till I got another headset. Mine was a singlle ear piece PS2 headset though so I just loaded wow first on speakers then plugged in the usb and ran TS on the usb headset only.
            "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

I also have that issue with my USB headset. I just leave it on headset all the time.
              Anahlahna and Friends

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I'm going to have to retire these puppies, which is pretty much what I was guessing. Logitech makes an analog version so I'll try those. I'll checkout newegg later & see if I can find a decent front panel multimedia port that I can use. Would be great if it overrode the speaker port when I plugged in, and all I had to do was hook up for comms & unplug for regular. :)

But at least with analog theres lots of other options (splitters, hub type devices, extension cables, etc...). The goal is to have full audio all the time, without it feeding back into my mic when I need to talk, and without the need to use headphones all day. My poor ears!

Again, thanks for the help guys... kinda knew the answer already, but I didn't want to buy a new set & hear "why didn't you just click -insert- ??"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X