No announcement yet.

Warriors Lend me your Ears, and Voices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors Lend me your Ears, and Voices.

OK OK first things first.. Can we get an AB on everyone... k now we can talk.
    As many of you may or may not know I take tanking very seriously (currently 3/0/51 arms/fury/prot). and have specced and geared for it pretty much since level 10. now around level 30 i found out that for leveling prot was not a good idea.. switched arms/fury, and blew through levels and switched back to prot when it was obvious it was needed when i hit 56ish. Now i love being a prot warrior in groups, the aggro gaining abilities are amazing (as many ppl may have seen i can usually pull aggro simply by switching to Defensive stance.

Now the question.. i have been thinking of trying a arms/prot build to help with leveling (it takes me absolutly FOR-FRICKING-EVER to kill a mob... i can take the hits and it is hard to bring me down but we are talking 2-3min per mob. now i compare this to my mage who can take out 2-5 mobs a minute and it frustrates me. at the same time the availability of the instances has kept me very happy as prot for those (sometimes i think it would be harder if i were not) What builds are the rest of you using? do you have any advice? i want to be able to at least take down a single non-elite in a min, here is what i am thinking of right now. please offer ideas, builds, advice.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...33022000000000

this is for me as i am now at 63. with most of the rest of the points probably going into prot as i level. are there abilities that are MUST HAVE? are there some i have picked that just suck? Halten my dps Brother clue an old tank in.
    miss manny?
    I havent changed yet and might not until next level or later when i figure what the heck to do.
    FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Re: Warriors Lend me your Ears, and Voices.

As far as TG is concerned, my main is still my priest, but he's been benched so I can play my warrior, who is now 62. I'm 5/0/48 specced (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...3020120531351).

I don't kill stuff as fast as other warriors, but I do okay I think. I level with my sword and shield. I put in 5 sunders then Devastate spam. There's so many casting mobs so far, so having my shield helps immensely. My kill rate is pretty good, and downtime is limited to a heavy netherweave every 5-6 mobs. Also, being an alt, Hitch's gear was horrid before TBC came out, he has upgraded everything but his gun and trinkets, so you have better gear I'm sure.

I love to tank, and am very wary of speccing away from prot for fear of liking it too much ;) I leveled to 51 as fury spec, then 51-60 as Arms when I got my ice barbed spear.

Bottom line, I'm willing to level slower to make instances go smoother, it all depends how extreme you want to get.

Comment

Agreed, i dont want to jepordize the instances which is why i am curious if there is a good halfway point where you can do both fairly well.
      FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Comment

At the moment, I am 5/5/43...and feel your pain. I've considered switching to something like 0/41/12 and adding more in prot, but have not yet pulled the trigger.

I'm committed (as you are) to being a capable, viable instance tank who can (usually) take and hold aggro.

My sense is that you can kill quickly as Arms or Fury spec...but that aggro management is way more "iffy".
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

My opinion SO FAR is that the uber-tankage really isnt needed in the 1st 2 instances. Most of us are past that point now though, so I cant really say about the rest of the dungeons.
          On the flipside, the spawns are so crowded that completing quests normally require you to group up anyways, so being prot actually would be an advantage not only in instances but in grouped questing.

Just a lowly mages opinion. You know I got yo back when u run in there <giggle>
          Last edited by Gambit7; 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

As far as i've seen, all a tank needs is just a bit of Damage mitigation and a good healer to actually be successful. An Arms/fury warrior tanked a fair chunk of the slave pens the other day, including the lobster boss. The warrior sucked at taking aggro off of people, but only because he figured he was there to DPS, and didn't pay attention to other mobs.

But with the Advent of decent pally tanks, it's probably safe for you warriors to avoid the heavy prot specs, and be completely effective Co-tanks with us Paladins.

Just food for thought.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Kel is running full prot and doing great. She has a lot of patience though, so doesn't mind the slow pace of soloing, but she also typically isn't alone.
              Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post
                As far as i've seen, all a tank needs is just a bit of Damage mitigation and a good healer to actually be successful. An Arms/fury warrior tanked a fair chunk of the slave pens the other day, including the lobster boss. The warrior sucked at taking aggro off of people, but only because he figured he was there to DPS, and didn't pay attention to other mobs.

But with the Advent of decent pally tanks, it's probably safe for you warriors to avoid the heavy prot specs, and be completely effective Co-tanks with us Paladins.

Just food for thought.
                Ouch, Manny! If you REALLY believe this, then I should roll a pally. You said it above "...The warrior sucked at taking aggro off of people...". Being a tank is ALL about the aggro...and NOT about DPS. Holding aggro while others safely kill the mobs is the role of a tank!
                Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by beep View Post
                  Ouch, Manny! If you REALLY believe this, then I should roll a pally. You said it above "...The warrior sucked at taking aggro off of people...". Being a tank is ALL about the aggro...and NOT about DPS. Holding aggro while others safely kill the mobs is the role of a tank!
                  He DID say it was an Arms/Fury warrior that was tanking a "fair chunk" of the slave pens... i don't think it was a shot at Prot Spec warriors at all.
                  Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                  Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                  ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos View Post
                    He DID say it was an Arms/Fury warrior that was tanking a "fair chunk" of the slave pens... i don't think it was a shot at Prot Spec warriors at all.
                    I forgot the smiley face....:)

But there is the "same ol' " serious issue behind this. If the role of a warrior is DPS, then some of us have wasted our time as "tanks". Tanking is rather clearly a group role...and it does not emphasize DPS. I'd be shocked if my DPS was even half that of a 2h Fury-specc'd warrior. Being able to grab and hold aggro (especially on multiple mobs) with everyone else's elevated damage/threat will not happen reliably with any spec other Protection, imo. The trade off is that we have stand there waiting for heals while others do the "serious" damage. This means we suck at soloing/leveling/farming.

We WILL kill things...but only at the rate of 90-100 DPS or so. A 5000 hp level 62ish mob is about 1 min to take down, assuming no other help for protection spec. On the other hand, I can kill three of them at once, albeit in more than 1 minute...or go 4 or 5 of them in a row without stopping to bandage.
                    Last edited by beep; 01-23-2007, 03:49 PM.
                    Beep

Comment

yep my issue exactly, while i can take down multiple in around the same time i takes forever. I figured arms would be a good accompyment due to the improved specials (6 extra seconds of shield wall and 10 min less cooldown add to the allready 5sec extra from the prot tree.) might just have to try an instance with new build to see if it works well enough or to go back. should i try to get MS? i hear it roxxors ... havent used in quite some time.
                      FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Comment

MS owns. i love it.

And i wasn't saying that the warrior wasn't CAPABLE of getting aggro off. i'm sure he would've... if he WANTED to.
                        Gaviin can attest to this. the warrior Chose to not pull aggro... but when he did, he kept it just fine. (and he still had the armor to be able to tank the lobster boss.)

But sure beep, roll a pally. i'll teach you the ropes. :D

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

i am currently 0/51/2 (lvl 62 i think), when solo.. i can manage to kill any mob (non-elite) in about 7-10 seconds (dps meter averages 450-500), but while in an instance as a tank... i find that my dps is 70 when tanking ( when i was prot.. i was averagin 130-155) and while i can take a beating and a half against most bosses, i did have a problem while i was lvl 61.. tanking a lvl 65 elite boss, because he wtfpwnd me for 2k crits... 3 times in a row.. but reguardless, aggro is very touchy when not having any real prot abilitys ( only have 2 pts.. for stance dancing)...

that being said.. ( short and sweet for ADD cough*luna*cough)
                          *pure damage spec

*alot of damage with damage gear on 10/10

*survivability not too bad when in tank gear 7/10

*aggro generation is OK at best... 5.5/10
                          currently: if i get 2 sunders.... i WONT lose aggro.. but i am used to magnetic aggro the way i play (*if i hit it first... it is gonna stay on me forever....period*)