TG I call on you!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG I call on you!

I'm a little bit out of me element here in the WoW forums. I hail from the TGNS side of things.

But anyways... here's the deal. I'm taking this class called Virtual Worlds, Real Communities. For it, I need to write a midterm paper by thursday.
    This is the topic I have chosen:

Critics have argued that virtual communities are not real and that mailing lists, instant messaging, chat rooms and online forums actually take people away from face to face communication and reduce our chances for formming physical communities and real connections. Where do game communities fit in? Are games ways for people to disengage from real-life? What is lost/gained by being part of such a community? Take a position and define where game communities fit in. You can restrict your argument to a specific game or a game type. Make sure you support your arguments.
    So how can you help? Well by telling me your personal experiences. Have you been able to take anything away from virtual communities? How are things different here?

If you have anything else you can think to say, let me know. The more "research data" i get the easier this will be.

Thanks for your help. The more perspectives I get the better. :)
    remi.D

Re: TG I call on you!

Well, let's see here.
    Yes, WoW is a way of Disengageing from real life... but it's a temporary thing for alot of us. ('specially here at TG...) We have real lives that we live, and instead of coming home and destressing in front of our playstations by ourselves, we get on a game where we can play by ourselves or with people that we enjoy.
    I know that it's true that some people project false identities on the internet, but alot of the time, people are who they say they are, and really, when you think about it, is physical interaction really THAT important to a friendship?

I mean, I don't hang out with alot of people In real life these days because alot of the people i used to know turned out to be rather incompatible with me after high school left out. WoW gave me a place to talk to people who think alot like me, and who enjoy my online presence... Does this make me incapaple of meeting new people? No, I've continued to make real friends outside of the game.

as for what i've brought away from the game, I've made some friends in here that i trust enough to tell them my problems and about my happiness... Alava, Gaviin, Pistos, Max, Delg, Luna, These are people that i can call my friends... people that i'd like to go to the bar with and have a drink and just shoot the breeze. they're E-friendships, but they're friendships that keep me playing the game.

It's not the game that keeps me being friends with them.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Hm. It's interesting what this game can do.

Being a raid leader has made me a better manager at work, for certain. Not in the sense that it makes me a more dynamic or interesting leader, per se (and we all know I have some work to do there =p) but that it has given me a much stronger tactical mindset than I had before, which is helpful in running my department.

In TG raids, I organized things in various ways to make benefit of the mechanics of the game so that every move I did had at least two purposes. I do the same at work. If I say "return the books from this area first" it's not because I necessarily need or want that area clear, it's because I want that area clear AND I can take advantage of that fact in some other way. Leading 20 and 40 man raids has allowed me to know when to sacrifice one efficiency to gain another to obtain an overall more synergetic and rapid path to success.

Comment

Being the Guild Leader of TG for over a year has shown me that there are striking similarities between our gaming community and real life interactions. We play this game to be with friends. These friends we find online often trickle into real life. Last year some members chose to fly to Rhode Island to meet up and have a party/get-to-know-you...It sounded like fun and I wish I could have made it. It's the personalities, the essence of a person, that we strive to know.

Physical interactions sometimes lead to social stereotyping. If I see someone on the street, I immediately categorize them based on my past and their physical appearance.

In an on-line community, we tend to learn to interact with people before seeing them or being able to make a first impression. We speak to the person on the other end of the net and chose to share ourselves or not. The process seems to work better gradually over time.

In a chat room atmosphere, people try to project themselves, and others willingly accept what they are given, be it true or false. This is not a good environment for meeting people.

In a community with many games and forums, the people tend to slowly present themselves and their opinions are laid to paper for all to see. There is a sense of history with all their interactions within the community. People slowly become transparent and as such, personalities surface truthfully.

We respect those that we spend time with...

Comment

`Thanks, you were all quite helpful. If you are interested in seeing the final paper after I'm done send me a PM and I'd be glad to show you.

I'll warn you though I'm not that great a writer.
          remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post
            Well, let's see here.
            Yes, WoW is a way of Disengageing from real life... but it's a temporary thing for alot of us. ('specially here at TG...) We have real lives that we live, and instead of coming home and destressing in front of our playstations by ourselves, we get on a game where we can play by ourselves or with people that we enjoy.
            I know that it's true that some people project false identities on the internet, but alot of the time, people are who they say they are, and really, when you think about it, is physical interaction really THAT important to a friendship?

I mean, I don't hang out with alot of people In real life these days because alot of the people i used to know turned out to be rather incompatible with me after high school left out. WoW gave me a place to talk to people who think alot like me, and who enjoy my online presence... Does this make me incapaple of meeting new people? No, I've continued to make real friends outside of the game.

as for what i've brought away from the game, I've made some friends in here that i trust enough to tell them my problems and about my happiness... Alava, Gaviin, Pistos, Max, Delg, Luna, These are people that i can call my friends... people that i'd like to go to the bar with and have a drink and just shoot the breeze. they're E-friendships, but they're friendships that keep me playing the game.

It's not the game that keeps me being friends with them.
            <3 Mannay! :row__572:
            Ninja

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...