Warriors at Risk???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors at Risk???

As Tarenth said in a different thread - "...where have all the warriors gone...?".

I'm observing the lack of warriors at higher levels. Last I checked, I'm the ONLY level 68 warrior in the guild. That doesn't make me feel good, though. It makes me concerned for our class.

I think most folks know that we're a class "in jeopardy" because of playability...especially in solo mode. Rather than stay a "pure" tank, I have specc'd out of heavy protection (2h Fury) in order to have any real chance at leveling realistically in the expansion. I've been fortunate enough to group with 1 or 2 others for much of my questing (special thanks to Luna!), so it hasn't been horrid for me.

Even so, I'm seeing a lack of high level warriors.

So...what's going on? What's the word from the front lines?

Please...if you want to really whine...go elsewhere. I'm looking for a situation report and some thoughts about what we can do to encourage our knuckle-dragging brethren and sisteren to persist to the end.

I'll start. IMHO, the solution lies in several bits...
    1. Blizz needs to give us some love. I think that will happen, but not for some time. They are NOT nimble decision-makers.
    2. Our guild needs to be encouraging and supportive of the warrior class. Inviting us to play with you, to quest with you and to instance-run with you is the best way to give us a role to play and feeling of being needed/wanted. With feral druid and pally-tanks getting more love in the expansion (good for you guys/gals!!), I have some serious questions as to whether we classic-style main tank meat shields even have a role to play at all in the new end-game. I'm reserving judgement until I have some first-hand experience, but I'm not planning to stick with a class that isn't any fun or is absent the rewards for MMORPG play.
    3. Warriors also need to "suck it up" and invest the time to grunt out the quests and gain the experience for leveling. That's what I've been doing, despite the gimped DPS and the need to bandage after each fight when soloing.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Warriors at Risk???

A couple things of note:

Beep 68, Delg 67, Uglyduck and Kel 66. We do have a set of warriors who are working there way up and will soon be 70.

Rewards for the warriors have sucked from quests through most of the early levels. One thing I did notice was that Netherstorm seemed to dramatically shift from the "Pali" centric loot to more warrior centric. There was a lot of quest rewards for +defense, +STA, +dodge gear in Netherstorm, and much less +int stuff. Something to think about.

Warriors should find a buddy. Duoing is very easy in the expansion, and even with "off" specs you can easily complete quests. Kel is almost purely prot, hasn't changed for the entire expansion, and has been able to solo, while very slowly, but she can, but when she and I team up we can typically burn through quests without much issue. Look at who is on when you are, and ask someone individually if they want to do X or Y.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Here's my assessment of what happened and where we are:
      1. The hardcore PvP'ers cried and cried about the warriors being able to charge in and hit them for 1500 so Blizzard ganked the class's ability to generate rage. This had the intended effect of "balancing" PvP but absolutely crushed the class in PvE.

2. Other classes got buffs to their aggro generating abilities while warriors stayed the same. With the dps and rage reductions we actually took a step back.

3. I believe, and I'm praying that this is true, that all of this balances out with the new end game gear. Blizzard has made several comments about the "long term" balance and "end game" specs post BC. I really really hope they know something we don't.

I don't want to cry and I don't want to whine but the essence of the issue is this: warriors just aren't a fun class to play. To be your best in an instance you need a fair amount of Prot. The more sturdy you become as a tank the longer it takes you to grind. The cumulative effect is massive fun suckage.

I'm really really trying to convince myself to keep pushing and get my warrior into the high 60's and eventually 70. When killing a mob that's my level costs me 35-40% of my health I can't help but wonder what the hell I'm doing this for?
      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

You are doing it so I can throw you in front of all the nasties in Karazhan and Serpentshrine and The Eye! :)

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Sajier View Post
          You are doing it so I can throw you in front of all the nasties in Karazhan and Serpentshrine and The Eye! :)
          Oh thanks!!!:row__632: :row__523: :row__593:
          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Don't think I'm not going to throw every warrior in front of them. I'm squishy, I like my tanks :)

| | |

Comment

I'm pretty sure I told people way before the expansion that I was not going to be trying to power level. I've never played that way. I don't like to play that way. It's not going to happen. I also believe I mentioned the posibility of taking a break from the game. (I don't see that happening right now, don't worry.)

As far as what's happening to the warrior class... I would not dream of speccing out of prot. I enjoy playing it, even though it does suck to solo. Instance runs make up for that. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I rarely have problems generating rage or keeping aggro.

on a side note...Delg made a neat little discovery the other day. Concussion Blow is no longer only usable in defensive stance. It only requires a melee weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bear View Post
                I'm really really trying to convince myself to keep pushing and get my warrior into the high 60's and eventually 70. When killing a mob that's my level costs me 35-40% of my health I can't help but wonder what the hell I'm doing this for?
                To put things into perspective, I solo'd most of my way to 70 and regularly burned through 35-40% of my mana on a mob. Once I got my shadowfiend and some more +mp5 and +dmg gear, it got a bit easier to regen/not use that mana, but my routine frequently was "kill 2-4 mobs, drink some water, repeat". It was tiresome, but I got through it. Things ended up being a TON better when I grouped up, as other have suggested. With all of the ppl still running around in the low-mid 60s, it shouldn't be hard at all to find some company. And with some organized questing, you'll level faster than you'd think...

In any case, the rest of the guild needs you... :)
                70 Priest

Comment

Originally posted by Wintrow View Post
                  To put things into perspective, I solo'd most of my way to 70 and regularly burned through 35-40% of my mana on a mob. Once I got my shadowfiend and some more +mp5 and +dmg gear, it got a bit easier to regen/not use that mana, but my routine frequently was "kill 2-4 mobs, drink some water, repeat". It was tiresome, but I got through it. Things ended up being a TON better when I grouped up, as other have suggested. With all of the ppl still running around in the low-mid 60s, it shouldn't be hard at all to find some company. And with some organized questing, you'll level faster than you'd think...

In any case, the rest of the guild needs you... :)
                  That's what's disheartening Wintrow, there is no warrior equivalent to "shadowfiend". Thanks for the moral support Win, that's what's pushing me through.
                  “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

*Blastcap pulls out his shotgun and shoots Bear in the butt*

YOU NEED A PUSH HUH?!

*shoots you in the butt again*

MOVE IT!

:)

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Sajier View Post
                      *Blastcap pulls out his shotgun and shoots Bear in the butt*

YOU NEED A PUSH HUH?!

*shoots you in the butt again*

MOVE IT!

:)
                      Rather than shooting me in the butt why don't you step out front you walking band-aid! :P

Comment

It's not his job to step out in front, meatsheild!

Comment

i know im slow.. but combined with a hectic real life.. and an all consuming job ( past few weeks averaging 60+hours) the last thing i want to do when i get home from a 12hr workday is look at a computer screen... my RL will slow down in the next few weeks.. then ull see a bit more of me =D