Shaman:dual wield vs other

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaman:dual wield vs other

alright, this is the first time i have play a shaman. now that i am close to unlocking dual wield.
    i just want some people's opinion about whether getting dual wield is worth it or not

Re: Shaman:dual wield vs other

Originally posted by 42nAi View Post
    alright, this is the first time i have play a shaman. now that i am close to unlocking dual wield.
    i just want some people's opinion about whether getting dual wield is worth it or not
    If you are specced as Enhancement, dual wield will boost your dps by about 60%. While you give up the armor benefit of a shield, switching to mail armor from leather at level 40 gives you about the same amount of armor without a shield as does leather+shield.

While your mileage may vary, in my opinion more DPS ->faster kills->less damage taken->less mana used. I've tried 2H, 1H with shield and DW. DW is my choice (at level 45 anyway!). With Stormrage and Windfury, you can get some nice results!:)
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

You can also enchant both weapons with your self buff for some nasty results like double windfury weapons.

Put another way, they recently nerfed DW shamans because their damage output was getting close to a rogue's with just white damage.
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
        You can also enchant both weapons with your self buff for some nasty results like double windfury weapons.

Put another way, they recently nerfed DW shamans because their damage output was getting close to a rogue's with just white damage.

Not quite white damage. there was a bug with downranking windfuries that would give a quad proc. A LOT of of an enhancement shamans damage comes from WF, but a LOT of it comes from SS/ES.

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
        BY FIBER BE PURGED!! TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
        TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS

Comment

SS? ES? Cryptic Abreviations FTW! You should at least spell it out once before you shorten it you know. ;)

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
            SS? ES? Cryptic Abreviations FTW! You should at least spell it out once before you shorten it you know. ;)
            doh! :P

Stormstrike/earthshock

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!

Comment

I've found that when I've done duel wield, it was more of a race to see if you or your opponent dies first. Yeah, there is more damage being done but I've found the shield to be more of an asset. I'm resto spec'd (with enhancement to 2h) so I don't have much experience with duel wield beyond TBC beta but my brother (who also is a shaman) was really struggling when he went to outlands at 60 as a duel-wielder. He started dying much much less when he went back to 1h and shield.

After grouping with some other shaman who are duelwielders, I've found them to be an annoyance because they always grab aggro from the tank yet have like 2000 less armor, so I'm forced to use up all my mana on them.

That being said, duelwield was fun to use and I suspect in TBC shaman DPS is proving to be an asset. I just don't like to heal a DW shammy :)

(For reference, I have a 66 shaman on Andorhal and a 57 shaman on Thunderhorn)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbostein View Post
                I've found that when I've done duel wield, it was more of a race to see if you or your opponent dies first. Yeah, there is more damage being done but I've found the shield to be more of an asset. I'm resto spec'd (with enhancement to 2h) so I don't have much experience with duel wield beyond TBC beta but my brother (who also is a shaman) was really struggling when he went to outlands at 60 as a duel-wielder. He started dying much much less when he went back to 1h and shield.

After grouping with some other shaman who are duelwielders, I've found them to be an annoyance because they always grab aggro from the tank yet have like 2000 less armor, so I'm forced to use up all my mana on them.

That being said, duelwield was fun to use and I suspect in TBC shaman DPS is proving to be an asset. I just don't like to heal a DW shammy :)

(For reference, I have a 66 shaman on Andorhal and a 57 shaman on Thunderhorn)
                Because much of the Outlands expansion content is very "aggro sensitive". With the well-publicized aggro management issues for warriors, I can see where a high DPS DW Shaman could be an aggro magnet. AND, dialing back with a Shield and 1H would be better for partying so as to stay behind the tank's aggro generation.
                Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

ah thanks for the input.
                  this will make things easier for me.

Comment

Yeah from 40-60 DW seems to be just fine unless you're grouping up with others at which point the shield comes out. Mainly because mobs and instances were tooled towards level 60 greens and blues equipment difficulty. However once you hit outland Blizzard sends you a big message saying "Everyone has T2 epics now, deal with it" and mobs scale up a lot. At which point you're going to want to pull out that shield and fiddle with things a little longer.

Comment

windfury is 20% to hit per swing right?

Comment

Originally posted by 42nAi View Post
                        windfury is 20% to hit per swing right?
                        its bugged far as last time i heard anything. the % isnt as much as it should be

Comment

blizzard says its 20%...but people are saying it's more like 12%-14%

Comment

Ok when the Burning Crusade first came out I went crazy witha shammy and leveld it to 24 in the first 4 days (and that was off and on play 8D ). While I was leveling I kept watching the super power leveling shamans go off. Well about 3 weeks in I noticed one had hit 60 (drenie for those confused). then about 5 weeks in he hit 70. Well as some know I love lightning, hence a love for shaman, so I asked him what his spec was and how he licked it.

His spec was enhancement and he did have duel wield. He said it was best to grind and group with duel wielding because even with the few parries and blocks that there are, the duel weild allows for a constant flow of attacks to fill in for that space of no damage (as opposed to a 2hnd).

He did say that the 2hnd was best for pvp instead of duel wield for the sheer fact of a big heavy hit and the chance for windfurry to put in some NASTY dps into it. He said no duel wield because generaly the dmg was faster but smaller which of course gives times for heals. Big nono.

Of course this is all dependant on how YOU want to play the shaman. Personaly if I was going to take my shaman down the enhancement tree I'd take duel wield in a heart beat and use it all the time :D (with a good sheild as a back up in groups).

Hope this helps! GL lil shammys! ^(^_^)

Comment

Elemental builds can throw out some god awful dps. The combination of Nature's Swiftness and Elemental Mastery combined with a couple of good trinkets and you can do massive dmg. The challenge is mana management. I haven't played since they changed the Clearcasting proc so it may be better.

Dual wield Enhancement prior to the WF cooldown change was capable of producing some potent dps. The problem was that all the additional aggro from Unleashed Rage and your WF crits made the mobs very very angry! :)
                              “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X