The revenge of warcrack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The revenge of warcrack

Ok, so I finally decided to free some hdd space by uninstalling wow since I don't play it anymore...start the uninstall and leave the computer.
    When I get back it says it can't delete the games folder. Not the wow folder, but the games folder that the wow folder is in.
    And as a bonus, the only thing not deleted in this folder is...the wow folder! The other games are nowhere to be found, but wow is still there :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Now, I really didn't read the uninstall properly so I guess I don't know what I managed to select there, but I haven't seen anything like this before. lol
    Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Re: The revenge of warcrack

That's somewhat amusing!

I did uninstall WoW off my laptop without any issue. So I'm not sure what happened with your uninstall. This does, however, remind me of another uninstall fiasco I had recently....

I used to be a big fan of Norton (Symantec) Anti-Virus. It was always way ahead of the curve when compared to other products like McAfee (which I still won't use to this day) and many of the alternative "free" products. Being in the security industry, we often build benchmark machines and infect them with a slew of viruses for testing purposes. After the machines are built, we run various anti-virus apps on them to determine the overall percentage of infected files found vs. the number of infected files placed on the machine as well as overall system load during the scanning process. In the most recent battery of tests, Kaspersky was blowing away Norton and I was very impressed. Not only did it identify a much greater percentage of infected files, but it did so using significantly fewer system resources.

Okay. So I made up my mind to switch over to Kaspersky once my Norton licenses expired on both my machines and other machines belonging to family and friends as their licenses expired.

Cue the phone calls....

I get the first call from my friend Joe F. Joe F. calls me and says his Norton expired so I head on over to install Kaspersky. I get there and his Norton is spitting out errors saying that anti-virus protection has been disabled until the license is renewed. This thing isn't supposed to be scanning ANYTHING at all according to the warning messages I'm getting. I confirm this by identifying an actual piece of spyware that was on his machine. Norton is dead. So I stick in Kaspersky and begin the install and suddenly Norton comes back to life! It's identified a potentially hostile application on his machine, what's that application? Kaspersky. Norton decided to re-activate itself for the sole purpose of preventing another anti-virus application being installed. It wouldn't detect viruses, wouldn't detect spyware, but it sure did decide to detect a competitors software application!

Two days later I get a call from another friend of mine, Joe D, who also needed an upgrade. Guess what.... Same issues. Norton was disabled yet somehow managed to come back to life when it realized it was being replaced by Kaspersky.

Interesting....

Maybe Blizzard is doing something similar? They assume that since you're un-installing WoW, you must want to give up on gaming completely. :)
    Last edited by Apophis; 03-17-2007, 08:23 PM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Hahahah. Aww man, I laughed out loud. Crazy programs! EVERYBODY PANIC!

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
        That's somewhat amusing!

I did uninstall WoW off my laptop without any issue. So I'm not sure what happened with your uninstall. This does, however, remind me of another uninstall fiasco I had recently....

I used to be a big fan of Norton (Symantec) Anti-Virus. It was always way ahead of the curve when compared to other products like McAfee (which I still won't use to this day) and many of the alternative "free" products. Being in the security industry, we often build benchmark machines and infect them with a slew of viruses for testing purposes. After the machines are built, we run various anti-virus apps on them to determine the overall percentage of infected files found vs. the number of infected files placed on the machine as well as overall system load during the scanning process. In the most recent battery of tests, Kaspersky was blowing away Norton and I was very impressed. Not only did it identify a much greater percentage of infected files, but it did so using significantly fewer system resources.

Okay. So I made up my mind to switch over to Kaspersky once my Norton licenses expired on both my machines and other machines belonging to family and friends as their licenses expired.

Cue the phone calls....

I get the first call from my friend Joe F. Joe F. calls me and says his Norton expired so I head on over to install Kaspersky. I get there and his Norton is spitting out errors saying that anti-virus protection has been disabled until the license is renewed. This thing isn't supposed to be scanning ANYTHING at all according to the warning messages I'm getting. I confirm this by identifying an actual piece of spyware that was on his machine. Norton is dead. So I stick in Kaspersky and begin the install and suddenly Norton comes back to life! It's identified a potentially hostile application on his machine, what's that application? Kaspersky. Norton decided to re-activate itself for the sole purpose of preventing another anti-virus application being installed. It wouldn't detect viruses, wouldn't detect spyware, but it sure did decide to detect a competitors software application!

Two days later I get a call from another friend of mine, Joe D, who also needed an upgrade. Guess what.... Same issues. Norton was disabled yet somehow managed to come back to life when it realized it was being replaced by Kaspersky.

Interesting....

Maybe Blizzard is doing something similar? They assume that since you're un-installing WoW, you must want to give up on gaming completely. :)
        It took a reformat to finally get rid of all norton bits...I'll never use them again. Their software gets really annoying...as in your story...and frankly won't even fully uninstall...no matter how much you try.
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X