Split thread re: supporting membership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split thread re: supporting membership

Not to be nosey or disruptive but in the other areas of TG there is a rule that You must be a supporting member to join an inhouse squad. So is it required that WoW players be TG supporting members to join WoW inhouse squads? If not has this been discussed with the TG powers (Apophis/Luna)

If so good idea!
    sigpic

Re: Introducing Squads!!

Luna is one of our Officers, so I suspect she knows :)
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
      Not to be nosey or disruptive but in the other areas of TG there is a rule that You must be a supporting member to join an inhouse squad. So is it required that WoW players be TG supporting members to join WoW inhouse squads? If not has this been discussed with the TG powers (Apophis/Luna)

If so good idea!
      Not sure there would be a very warm reception to that one...
      Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Gaviin View Post
        Not sure there would be a very warm reception to that one...
        No probably not, and that's somewhat unfortunate.

---

Regarding the squad thing. It's happening because it's the easiest way to maintain our current guild structure while promoting growth. It's a function of the guild, not a perk.

I had asked Luna earlier if a group could get private forums and possibly even a private calendar on the website. In order for a 'squad' to get that, all members would need to be SM's.
        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

On the subject of being a Supporting Member, I consider it as valuable as my monthly Blizzard bill!

I believe it is important to financially support the Tactical Gamer community that reflects my values and offers a broad community experience of like-minded members INCLUDING specific benefits (e.g. email) for supporting members.

Reliable teamspeak servers aren't free, nor are the many hosted games and other benefits (such as these forums). I'm glad to have been a supporting member for a long time here.
          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

*re-interates what Beep just said*

Being a supporting member is a valuable contribution to a great guild and great community. TG offers us so much, The money to support it is little compared to what the Community offers us.
            Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by beep View Post
              Guild officers MAY be SOs, but SOs do not have to be officers.
              SO's are responsible to keep current membership lists.
              What does SO mean?

Please don't let this thread turn into a Supporting Member discussion, as there are arguments against the need for Supporting Members, and I don't think anyone wants to derail this important thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajier View Post
                *re-interates what Beep just said*

Being a supporting member is a valuable contribution to a great guild and great community. TG offers us so much, The money to support it is little compared to what the Community offers us.
                I agree whole heartedly with what both Beep and Sajier are stating and was a proud supporting member long before I really got to see all of the benefits of such. Like having reserved slots on BF2142 and other games. I started playing WoW first where the only benefit is knowing that your helping support the boards and TS that WoWTG uses heavily.

Now as far as this post is concerned this is not true.
                **Originally Posted by Drizzid View Post
                Not to be nosey or disruptive but in the other areas of TG there is a rule that You must be a supporting member to join an inhouse squad. So is it required that WoW players be TG supporting members to join WoW inhouse squads? If not has this been discussed with the TG powers (Apophis/Luna)**

There maybe some in-house squads that require SM but not all in-house squads require that.

***TAKEN FROM TG-Irr Tactical Wiki

Mission statement

To provide a home for Battlefield 2* players who cannot commit to a regular squad for whatever reason. Open to all TG forum members, our strength shall come from a joint and pooled effort. We will strive to ease the transition of inductees from an external to an internal mindset through training, fighting together as a team, and mutual support. It is hoped we will be looked towards to provide a pool of potential recruits for the other in-house squads. Above all, the Irregulars will fight together when the opportunity arises and strive to be victorious, while having and achieving all above aims and goals. It is for those who would like a TG home-unit yet are not eligible, suitable, or interested in joining an in-house squad.

Our core membership consists of:

* Non-supporting members that are looking for consistent teammates and tactics.
                * SM's looking for consistent teammates and tactics, but that can't make the full time commitment (practices, scrims, etc.) required by in-house squads.
                * SM's contributing TG experience and tactics to help teach newer members.

NB *: The Irregulars game in the Battlefield series of titles, including the various mods that are supported by TG. ************************

I will state however that I highly encourage all that can afford the SM please do so. This ensures that this community will continue to provide a place for all of us to share our continued interest in mature teamplay. Thats what this is all about! We all have the same hobby and that is mature gaming and teamplay.

Comment

Re: Split thread re: supporting membership

The only squad within TG that does not require their members to be Supporting Members of Tactical Gamer is the TG-Irregular squad. The Irregulars were formed as a step-in to the squad based structure here at TG and is primarily intented as a training and recruiting ground for our members.

As the members of the Irregulars grow within the community, many of them end up presenting "transfer papers" and either move into a TG in-house squad or create their own. We have seen a number of new in-house squads form in recent months as a result of the TG-Irregular program and this program also results in a large number of its members choosing to become supporting members.

The TG-Irregulars do not benefit from having private forums and they also have an open-enrollment policy whereas the other squads in TG operate under selective-enrollment policies. Irregular squad members that are not SMs do not gain any benefits as part of the Irregulars that their SM counterparts enjoy.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    The only squad within TG that does not require their members to be Supporting Members of Tactical Gamer is the TG-Irregular squad. The Irregulars were formed as a step-in to the squad based structure here at TG and is primarily intented as a training and recruiting ground for our members.

As the members of the Irregulars grow within the community, many of them end up presenting "transfer papers" and either move into a TG in-house squad or create their own. We have seen a number of new in-house squads form in recent months as a result of the TG-Irregular program and this program also results in a large number of its members choosing to become supporting members.

The TG-Irregulars do not benefit from having private forums and they also have an open-enrollment policy whereas the other squads in TG operate under selective-enrollment policies. Irregular squad members that are not SMs do not gain any benefits as part of the Irregulars that their SM counterparts enjoy.
                    Thanks Apo for the clarification and I hope I wasnt misleading in my post. I think the Irregulars give a great place for many new to TG a place to "try-out" TG and also maybe give a home to those that cant afford the membership.

Comment

So the precedent is that if we're gonna have squads, we have to be SM's...
                      I can almost understand in FPS games where someone has to host the server, and there is no monthly fee to play where SM comes in. In WoW, we already pay to play, and the costs of a website with forums and a voice server are low enough that it is provided free of charge in every guild I've ever been in. It has always been an optional thing to be a SM in the WoW guild, and if we are going to use squads as our primary method of progressing in WoW, I hope being a SM doesn't become mandatory.

Comment

Well I know this was split off from the other post but if it is going to be a requirement then it needs to be spelled out in the guidelines on the other thread.

Comment

I would certainly entertain the creation of a TG-Irregular type squad for WoW so we're not forced to exclude people because they can't afford the SM. Tactical Gamer has always tried to be an inclusive community and I don't want to punish someone for not being able to afford to help provide the support needed to keep us online. I'll let the current guild officers discuss the concept of an Irregular type squad for WoW and see what they come up with.

That being said...

The level on which Tactical Gamer provides web, TeamSpeak and other services far exceeds the $2.95/month web hosting packages found with shared providers. The quality and integrity of the environment is modeled off mission-critical application hosting architecture. If our primary web or database server were to blow up today, our entire site would be back online within a couple short hours with less than 24 hours of data loss. I'm also working on hot-standby options to allow TG to recover our site and ALL content with ZERO data loss in less than 60 minutes through the use of mirrored database servers and data replication systems for the actual applications we host.

That is the type of environment that TG is committed to providing. I'm not willing to risk the stability and availability of this community considering all the hard work that our members put into its growth. Tactical Gamer has been around for many many many years and those individuals that have been here since near the beginning will tell you that when it comes to stability, availability, and security; I take things very very seriously.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Apophis, I'm not trying to slight what you've done with TG at all. Having the resources that $8/month times however many Supporting Members allows you to have that infrastructure. However, your statement of "I would certainly entertain the creation of a TG-Irregular type squad for WoW" implies that other squads will follow the traditional TG vision of squads requiring SM status, with the "TG-Irregular type squad" being a stepping stone towards those other squads. This thinking throws a big wet blanket on the whole squad idea in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post

The level on which Tactical Gamer provides web, TeamSpeak and other services far exceeds the $2.95/month web hosting packages found with shared providers. The quality and integrity of the environment is modeled off mission-critical application hosting architecture. If our primary web or database server were to blow up today, our entire site would be back online within a couple short hours with less than 24 hours of data loss. I'm also working on hot-standby options to allow TG to recover our site and ALL content with ZERO data loss in less than 60 minutes through the use of mirrored database servers and data replication systems for the actual applications we host.

That is the type of environment that TG is committed to providing. I'm not willing to risk the stability and availability of this community considering all the hard work that our members put into its growth. Tactical Gamer has been around for many many many years and those individuals that have been here since near the beginning will tell you that when it comes to stability, availability, and security; I take things very very seriously.

And for that, We thank you Apo.

As far as i know, we've had no actual discussion of asking people to be supporting members to be in squads. Our whole squad outline is nowhere near as rigid as any of the other squads in the community, (from what i can tell)... especially since we're entertaining the idea of Squad members being interchangeable to help balance raids.
                              While i'm a proud supporting member, I can't say that i'd vote to ask people to be Supporting members just to be able to play with a group of people they enjoy playing with. In fact, if we asked that, i can imagine that the non SM's would group up anyways... with thier SM friends as well. (I don't ask my friends to subscribe to my theories of life, the universe and Everything, so i can't very well ask my friends to be SM's. it's their choice). Either way, asking people to pay more money to essentially play with their guild would be a bit... I can't think of the word... it's in the same vein as 'destructive'.

Again, i fully support TG, As i have since two weeks after i joined the guild... when i get bored of WoW, there's a stack of games i want to play here, with the people i know, and the people i'd like to get to know. But i'm against asking people to pay more money to advance in WoW content with their friends.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X