Looking to the Future and Beyond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to the Future and Beyond

Alright, glancing over some of the fights in the higher 25 man instances we can see that the instances are short, sweet, and brutal. That being said we should probably start looking ahead at what we'll need before we seriously need it. Because as experience has taught me, the price of good gear raises exponentially as more people see the need for it.

Arcane Resist:
    We know we need it and we can always hit up our Scryer related tailors, leatherworkers, and blacksmiths to get our fix. Tailors running Karazhan can make soulcloth gear with those essences to further suppliment our needs. If you see a piece on the AH that isn't covered by Scryer gear then you might want to consider picking it up for use in the future. Since people are already running Karazhan so the price of good arcane pieces are steadily going up, but there are always some people not in the know who toss some good deals up there. Arcane resist sees some use in Sekketh Halls (more important for heroic runs) and is rather essential in Karazhan and will probably see some use in The Eye.

Fire Resist:
    To be honest we don't have to worry about fire resist too much. You can get some good solid pieces from your Aldor related tailors, leatherworkers, and blacksmiths and what you don't get from them (or are too lazy to farm the mats for) you can get from Sha'tar for the Badges of Justice dropped off bosses in heroic instances. Fire Resist is used in Magtheridon, Mages need it for the High King fight in Gruul's Lair, and it is pretty essential for fights in The Eye.

Shadow Resist:
    Where there are demons and undead there is shadow damage. It could be speculated that it might be needed for Mount Hyjaal, but that's so far away it isn't even worth thinking about. Some pieces might come in handy for fights in heroic Shadow Labs or Auch Crypts. Not essential at the moment.

Frost Resist:
    You could probably use a piece or two for Coilfang Reservoir when running heroics for those massive waterbolt/frostbolt volleys a lot of the bosses throw out from time to time. However when we start running the Serpentshrine Cavern everyone is going to need to be packing Frost resist. There are currently no patterns out there of any use that provide this, so it might be wise to start looking on the side and stockpiling it for when the need arises. As with all TBC endgame instances the old gear from the old world has been made effectively useless so if you were thinking of using your Naxx gear (if you had any) then forget about it. Fights in TBC require a LOT of stamina and the old level 60 gear just won't cut it.

Nature Resist:
    Another dark horse that is semi-essential to have except with one difference. Nature resist is essential for hunters and shamans for the Gruul's Lair High King fight in addition to seeing some use much later in Serpentshrine Cavern. The problem? Just like old Naxx Frost Gear you see the same problem with old AQ Nature gear. There just isn't enough stamina on those pieces to make them usable in the instance. There are also no patterns out there for craftable Nature Resist gear usable in TBC just like frost resist. If you find/see some high level mail nature pieces you need to grab them or let someone know about it ASAP so we can work on getting our mail clad nature tanks a fighting chance in Gruul's Lair.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Looking to the Future and Beyond

Great post, Tarenth. I will be stockpiling as you suggested!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
      Frost Resist:
      You could probably use a piece or two for Coilfang Reservoir when running heroics for those massive waterbolt/frostbolt volleys a lot of the bosses throw out from time to time. However when we start running the Serpentshrine Cavern everyone is going to need to be packing Frost resist. There are currently no patterns out there of any use that provide this, so it might be wise to start looking on the side and stockpiling it for when the need arises. As with all TBC endgame instances the old gear from the old world has been made effectively useless so if you were thinking of using your Naxx gear (if you had any) then forget about it. Fights in TBC require a LOT of stamina and the old level 60 gear just won't cut it.
      Some of the Craftable stuff from Naxx wasn't bad. it had the same Stat deficiancies as Tier 3... buckets of Frost resist and Stamina, but little else, as i recall.

Either way, Isn't Frost damage a binary resist? you need lots of resist, or none at all?

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Hey guys, another thing you will need to look at, if you decide to do the Doomwalker fight in Shadowmoon. EVERYONE will need to get gear with HIGH stamina, everyone in the raid will need to have 8k HP before being buffed. The reason you need the high HP's is he does Earthquake which does close between 8-10k damage and you can just survive it to be healed. If priest are quick they can shield/renew themselves during the earthquake.

Have fun with these fights, they get seriously intense past the 5 mans.

Comment

Couple things tarenth...one, scryer tailors *cannot* make arcane resist gear. Aldor's get the heal spellthread and fire resist, but scryers only get the dmg spellthread. The arcane resist patterns (of which there are 6) come from a couple different sources. 3 of them (the blues) require arcane dust and netherweave, and the patterns are all bind on pickup..dropping from various mobs within Tempest Keep. (boots and robe in Mech, bracers in Arc, if i'm not mistaken). The 3 purples require Soulcloth, coming from the soul essences that drop in Karazhan. One, the gloves, is a recipe buyable from a vendor. The other two are BoP drops within karazhan itself, off various trash mobs.

As for Fire stuff...I don't believe that we mages need fire resist for the maulgur fight. I believe his fireballs aren't vulnerable to resistance, and you're better off with pure stamina and mana longevity (spellsteal is expensive). I might be wrong though, this bears more research.

Originally posted by Manny View Post
          Some of the Craftable stuff from Naxx wasn't bad. it had the same Stat deficiancies as Tier 3... buckets of Frost resist and Stamina, but little else, as i recall.

Either way, Isn't Frost damage a binary resist? you need lots of resist, or none at all?
          Unless i'm horribly misinformed, Resistances aren't binary. Spells are. Almost all frost damage spells have a secondary effect that isnt' damage (usually slows). Any spell which has a secondary effect is a binary spell and does have different methods for resistance. Water bolts, and other non-binary frost damage spells should work just like any other resist and damage interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post

Well to use examples Naxx crafted gear is like:
            [item]Icebane Bracers[/item]
            [item]Icebane Breastplate[/item]
            [item]Icebane Gauntlets[/item]

And to compare you have green drops like:
            [item]Warlord's Iron-Vambraces[/item] - +32 stamina, +21 FrR
            [item]Warlord's Iron-Breastplate[/item] - +56 stamina, +37 FrR
            [item]Warlord's Iron-Gauntlets[/item] - +42 stamina, +27 FrR

True you lose the strength, a small amount of defense, and come up short 13 FrR, but you get over 75 more stamina from GREENS. Then again those shortcomings can also be made up with [item]Frost Armor Kit[/item] or [item]Vindicator's Armor Kit[/item] and maybe an enchant on the bracers.

There's also the fact that to get Naxx crafted gear you had to have run Naxx to get the [item]Frozen Rune[/item] used in the recipes.

As for resists? A binary resist is only used if there is a secondary affect involved in the spell. A mage's frostbolt differs from their fireball in that there is a snare component to the damage. This means if they resist the snare they resist the frost bolt completely. The fireball, however, can be partially resisted because the DoT component is considered part of the damage making the spell pure damage.

When considering frost spells you have to look at all the different frost spells used by NPC mobs and not just compare it back to a mage's frostbolt. Waterbolt is a frost version of arcane bolt and does direct damage that can be partially resisted. Frostbolt is, of course, just like the mage's version and is binary. Chains of ice is a more powerful version of frost nova that is also binary just like frost nova. Stormbolt is a waterbolt with a knockback, but can be partially resisted even if being sent flying interrupts spells. Then you have the DoTs that can be partially resisted for less damage just like all the NPC per tick damage spells.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Craftable frost resist plate from Violet Eye Rep
              [item]Iceguard Breastplate[/item] Honored
              [item]Iceguard Helm[/item] Honored
              [item]Iceguard Leggings[/item] Revered

Craftable nature resist plate from CE Rep
              [item]Wildguard Helm[/item] Revered
              [item]Wildguard Leggings[/item] Revered
              [item]Wildguard Breastplate[/item] Exalted
              Uglyduck - Spec varies - Currently Prot
              MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that today when I was looking at the VE faction information. I never really paid much attention to plate resist gear though. -.-

Still need to find mail/leather/cloth nature and frost gear though. :(

Comment

I can now make
                  [item]Major arcane protection potion[/item]
                  [item]Major holy protection potion[/item]
                  Candrice 63 Warrior
                  Ricca 70 Rogue
                  Machelle 70 Mage
                  Enya 74 Druid

Comment

Too bad someone with potion mastery doesn't have those recipes as well. -.-

Comment

Yeah true that but it only took me 100 kills to get the Holy one maybe we can go and farm it for a potion master always good to have more than one in the guild with it.....
                      Candrice 63 Warrior
                      Ricca 70 Rogue
                      Machelle 70 Mage
                      Enya 74 Druid

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed