Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WoW Crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WoW Crashes

    Has anyone else been having WoW crashes (all the way back to system reboot)?

    My problem is ONLY in WoW...and associated with video card (nVidia 7900GTX)...and started after the last patch.

    There is some forum chatter on the 'net about this being WoW usage of Directx9c that doesn't work well with the nVidia drivers for this GPU class, but nothing overwhelming.

    When I try to play my priest, the system crashes every 2-5 minutes. On my shaman, every 30-40 min or so. On my warrior (knock on wood!), rarely. Go figure! First the screen freezes (though music continues) for 30-60 sec, then it unfreezes for 1-2 sec, then it may repeat...then reboots the whole system. The BSOD doesn't appear anymore (since I updated the video drivers), it just reboots.

    A. I've had ZERO incidents of this before the last patch (3/9/2007) (It could be coincidence).
    B. My whole system is new (last summer) Core2Duo 6600, 2 GB, Asus P5W DH Mobo and historically rock steady.
    C. I've updated Video driver AND Directx9c code.
    D. I've adjusted video setting in hardware and WoW from one extreme to the other with no apparent difference in the crashing phenomenon.

    Out of desperation, I've ordered an ATI graphics card to see if that resolves things, but I'm checking to see if others here have had similar occurrences.
    Beep


    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

  • #2
    Re: WoW Crashes

    That happened to me last night too Beep
    Candrice 63 Warrior
    Ricca 70 Rogue
    Machelle 70 Mage
    Enya 74 Druid

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: WoW Crashes

      I've got the same video card + directx version, but am running nforce+AMD mobo/CPU and have not had any problems. Probably isn't a useful data point, but that's never stopped me from chiming in :)

      I'll keep an eye out for anything on this on the forums/blogs.
      Saxen | 70 Protection Warrior
      Belize | 70 Enhancement Shaman
      Rilke | 64 Mutilation Rogue
      Noye | 62 Shadow Priest

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: WoW Crashes

        I have been having crashes at strange times and in odd places but not on a specific time interval.


        Silchar (70 Retribution Paladin)
        Lightshow (70 Holy Priest)
        Wetstone (70 Marksman Hunter)

        "Never forget-the higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: WoW Crashes

          I found this on the Nvidia forums

          http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25867

          Can you give more detailed system specs? Including the type of hard drives, cd/dvd drives, PSU etc...

          I have found a lot of references to your problem. In general, many of the suggestions point to power supply problems or thermal problems.
          Uglyduck - Spec varies - Currently Prot
          MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: WoW Crashes

            All system stuff is pretty standard...

            LiteOn DVD
            Seagate HD Barracuda 7200.0 300GB
            Seasonic S12 600 W Power supply
            Asus P5W DH Mobo
            Intel C2D e6600
            2 Gig Corsair XMS RAM
            Asus EN7900GTX 512 MB Video Card

            Temps all are normal range.

            Bottom line is that the game is now unplayable. I'm AFK for WoW purposes until this is fixed. I have a new Video Card (ATI x1950xt) on order to swap out to see if that's the problem. That should arrive Friday, but until then,

            If the Video Card swap doesn't resolve matters, I'll swap PS next.
            Last edited by beep; 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM.
            Beep


            Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: WoW Crashes

              My first thoughts about this would be the video card, since this happens to me too on certian games (Lineage 2, FlyFF) but not on otheres (City of Heroes, WoW)

              Wish I could help more, but thats really all I know...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: WoW Crashes

                I had this prob a little while back.
                I found that it was the updated drivers for the card I was using.

                I rolled my drivers back until i found the very 1st / 2nd version available for my card - I havent had to reboot in ages.

                Updating video drivers is a pain in the butt - but sometimes it just creates more probs than good :)

                Hope it helps.

                btw ur comp kicks :) - well over mine nehow

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: WoW Crashes

                  Originally posted by beep View Post
                  Bottom line is that the game is now unplayable. I'm AFK for WoW purposes until this is fixed.
                  This is unacceptable!

                  Sounds like you've covered the basics but doesn't hurt to check:

                  You said you'd dialed down the in game settings, but have you also tried to force low-graphics settings through the nvidia control panel? That might yield some data on the cause.

                  Another perhaps obvious question, but have you turned off the sound sound? i've had trouble in the past with creative drivers becoming unexpectedly corrupted.

                  disabled all mods? though i've never heard of a mod that would crash your whole system, worth a try.
                  Saxen | 70 Protection Warrior
                  Belize | 70 Enhancement Shaman
                  Rilke | 64 Mutilation Rogue
                  Noye | 62 Shadow Priest

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: WoW Crashes

                    Originally posted by wlbrn2 View Post
                    This is unacceptable!

                    Sounds like you've covered the basics but doesn't hurt to check:

                    You said you'd dialed down the in game settings, but have you also tried to force low-graphics settings through the nvidia control panel? That might yield some data on the cause.

                    Another perhaps obvious question, but have you turned off the sound sound? i've had trouble in the past with creative drivers becoming unexpectedly corrupted.

                    disabled all mods? though i've never heard of a mod that would crash your whole system, worth a try.
                    Yep...forced all graphics card settings to lowest.

                    Don't use sound card...and haven't changed anything there.

                    I didn't change any mods from "before" (stable) to "after" (crash-prone). I did increase the allocated memory for mods (to eliminate that possibility). Disabling mods as a fix is not practical for me, since I haven't played using the original UI since week 1 of playing the game.

                    So...the frustrating part is that the ONLY change I can identify is the "trouble" started sometime after last patch on March 9, 2007...and has gotten progressively more frequent since then. That may just be coincidence. If there is a hardware failure (Graphics or Power Supply), that could be a sudden change showing up with these symptoms.

                    My fingers are crossed that swapping out the graphics card and/or power supply will resolve this. The card arrives tomorrow (Friday).:row__632:
                    Beep


                    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: WoW Crashes

                      Give older drivers the go before your new card, you might be surprised.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: WoW Crashes

                        Originally posted by beep View Post
                        Yep...forced all graphics card settings to lowest.

                        Don't use sound card...and haven't changed anything there.

                        I didn't change any mods from "before" (stable) to "after" (crash-prone). I did increase the allocated memory for mods (to eliminate that possibility). Disabling mods as a fix is not practical for me, since I haven't played using the original UI since week 1 of playing the game.

                        So...the frustrating part is that the ONLY change I can identify is the "trouble" started sometime after last patch on March 9, 2007...and has gotten progressively more frequent since then. That may just be coincidence. If there is a hardware failure (Graphics or Power Supply), that could be a sudden change showing up with these symptoms.

                        My fingers are crossed that swapping out the graphics card and/or power supply will resolve this. The card arrives tomorrow (Friday).:row__632:

                        I once had a problem like the one your having. I also thought it was a video card and, or a power supply problem, only to find out it was a short in my motherboard.
                        I don't suffer from insanity,
                        I enjoy every minute of it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: WoW Crashes

                          New video card installed. Problem gone.:) :) :) :) :)
                          Beep


                          Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: WoW Crashes

                            Well that gives me hope. I've been in agony since 2.0 came out. I've posted on nVidia's forums, and WoW's quite a few times. I've been building and diagnosing computers for 13 years now and this problem has stumped me hard.

                            - Tried every set of drivers available for my card (removing in safe mode)
                            - No Viruses or Spyware of any kind
                            - Removed and re-installed WoW
                            - No mods loaded
                            - Tried with just about every combination of startup (no apps, just hardware apps, etc...)
                            - Changed about every setting in the nVidia control panel & WoW
                            - Checked card for any damage (none found, and fan works fine)
                            - Temperature stays well within safe limits, and removing cover from tower makes no difference in stability

                            But what started in WoW has now spread across other areas. When 2.0 came out I started getting bad flickering and texture glitches. Then when BC came out I started freezing. At first it was non-stop, then it mellowed out for a while. I managed to crawl my way to 70 but shortly after it became worse again. Now if I want to play I have to hit Start immediately when I launch (the logins screen can freeze me), login real quick, hit Start again. Load my toon, and then hit Start as soon as I get into game. At this point I'm usually stable enough to play for a while.

                            Like I said, though, its worse now than it was. Now any Direct3D app will freeze with a "nv4_disp has caused an infinite loop" BSoD. Tried AoE3, Half Life 2, Supreme Commander. I can even get it loading the WoW:BC cinematic. What's more obnoxious is the artifacting, though. I get what appear to be dead pixels randomly on my screen. I know its not the monitor since they don't stay in the same place. I get them booting up, in BIOS, if I run command prompt full screen, etc... I also get them popping up in DVD movies if I watch closely, but they come and go. What's nice is that when I scroll they streak down my screen creating blue and green lines across web-sites. Interestingly, the top-right area is the worst, and sometimes I get flickering in bland colored skies (like the gray in Terrokar). If I let it flicker enough I'll crash.

                            Anyway, nVidia hasn't released new drivers since November 2nd and some of the posts talking about this go back to 2003 (the infinite loops, etc..). So its a problem that has been around but for whatever reason is showing up more and more frequently with people playing WoW:BC. Blizzard of course would never openly admit to any known issue that could cause problems outside of game. I know software damaging hardware is a laughable idea, but its entirely possible that the cards are not damaged, but simply not working correctly because of bugs + "instruction that was supposed to be available to devs".

                            I got an RMA for mine (which was from XFX, via Newegg). But the company has a crappy policy of making the user return the card first (on their dime) and of course it has to make it there w/o any damage or that voids the warranty. After that they test the card to verify a problem, and if they aren't lazy they'll send me a replacement. Unfortunately this leaves me w/o a computer as I have no extra PCI / PCI Express cards, no onboard video, and no AGP slot on my mobo. Yay.

                            And if anyone actually reads all this, here's my specs.

                            Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo 6600
                            Asus P5B Deluxe w/ WiFi
                            XFX 7900GT 256mb
                            4gb Corsair

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: WoW Crashes

                              Originally posted by Zimbwar View Post
                              Well that gives me hope. I've been in agony since 2.0 came out. I've posted on nVidia's forums, and WoW's quite a few times. I've been building and diagnosing computers for 13 years now and this problem has stumped me hard.

                              - Tried every set of drivers available for my card (removing in safe mode)
                              - No Viruses or Spyware of any kind
                              - Removed and re-installed WoW
                              - No mods loaded
                              - Tried with just about every combination of startup (no apps, just hardware apps, etc...)
                              - Changed about every setting in the nVidia control panel & WoW
                              - Checked card for any damage (none found, and fan works fine)
                              - Temperature stays well within safe limits, and removing cover from tower makes no difference in stability

                              But what started in WoW has now spread across other areas. When 2.0 came out I started getting bad flickering and texture glitches. Then when BC came out I started freezing. At first it was non-stop, then it mellowed out for a while. I managed to crawl my way to 70 but shortly after it became worse again. Now if I want to play I have to hit Start immediately when I launch (the logins screen can freeze me), login real quick, hit Start again. Load my toon, and then hit Start as soon as I get into game. At this point I'm usually stable enough to play for a while.

                              Like I said, though, its worse now than it was. Now any Direct3D app will freeze with a "nv4_disp has caused an infinite loop" BSoD. Tried AoE3, Half Life 2, Supreme Commander. I can even get it loading the WoW:BC cinematic. What's more obnoxious is the artifacting, though. I get what appear to be dead pixels randomly on my screen. I know its not the monitor since they don't stay in the same place. I get them booting up, in BIOS, if I run command prompt full screen, etc... I also get them popping up in DVD movies if I watch closely, but they come and go. What's nice is that when I scroll they streak down my screen creating blue and green lines across web-sites. Interestingly, the top-right area is the worst, and sometimes I get flickering in bland colored skies (like the gray in Terrokar). If I let it flicker enough I'll crash.

                              Anyway, nVidia hasn't released new drivers since November 2nd and some of the posts talking about this go back to 2003 (the infinite loops, etc..). So its a problem that has been around but for whatever reason is showing up more and more frequently with people playing WoW:BC. Blizzard of course would never openly admit to any known issue that could cause problems outside of game. I know software damaging hardware is a laughable idea, but its entirely possible that the cards are not damaged, but simply not working correctly because of bugs + "instruction that was supposed to be available to devs".

                              I got an RMA for mine (which was from XFX, via Newegg). But the company has a crappy policy of making the user return the card first (on their dime) and of course it has to make it there w/o any damage or that voids the warranty. After that they test the card to verify a problem, and if they aren't lazy they'll send me a replacement. Unfortunately this leaves me w/o a computer as I have no extra PCI / PCI Express cards, no onboard video, and no AGP slot on my mobo. Yay.

                              And if anyone actually reads all this, here's my specs.

                              Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo 6600
                              Asus P5B Deluxe w/ WiFi
                              XFX 7900GT 256mb
                              4gb Corsair
                              Heh...I even tried the new beta release drivers...with the same result. What I don't know is whether my nVidia card has deteriorated somehow over time (about 9 months old) or whether it is strictly a driver/software issue.

                              So far my ATI x1950xt is stable, though noisier (stock fan) than the nVidia and with a lower frame rate vs the ASUS nVidia 7900GTX.
                              Beep


                              Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X