Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any Blacksmiths make Runes of Shielding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any Blacksmiths make Runes of Shielding?

[item]Greater Rune of Shielding[/item] is made from 1x[item]Eternium Bar[/item]

[item]Lesser Rune of Shielding[/item] is made from 1x[item]Adamantite Bar[/item]

If Wowhead is correct, the plans for the Greater is a low-prob drop in Netherstorm; the Lesser is from a trainer.

Can anyone make these? And if you've used them, are they worth the material cost?
    Saxen | 70 Protection Warrior
    Belize | 70 Enhancement Shaman
    Rilke | 64 Mutilation Rogue
    Noye | 62 Shadow Priest

Re: Can any Blacksmiths make Runes of Shielding?

Most blacksmiths have the Lesser recipe. Luna has the greater. Other may as well, but I know she does.

IMO, any protection helps, but it's a one-time damage mitigation up to the "value" of the rune. Tanking a boss fight, a greater rune will help with the first 2 or maybe 3 melee blows after which you're back to square one.

I'll use them if available, but don't have a lot of confidence boost from having one on me.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I was always curious about those rune. Do they increase the amount blocked too full mitigation until 4k is blocked or is it like a profession made portable PW:Shield?
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I can make both.

From the times I have used it, I have observed that it seems to block 4000k damage in total, until it falls off. Like a running tally. But, I can't be certain that's exactly what's happening. It keeps me alive longer, that's for sure. I'll pay closer attention to it in the future. Beep uses them alot too- he might have noticed the finer details, since he's always being beaten on.

Comment

I can make them both.
          Uglyduck - Spec varies - Currently Prot
          MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls

Comment

if it's attached like that, wouldn't it require targeting the item and using, etc? While that's fine if done as prep work..during combat that might be a bit..irksome, if possible at all. And if so, does it also prevent a warrior from gaining rage from being hit? if so, this item might not actually be so ideal for warriors, due to the early rage stunting. For paladin tanks, it's probably amazing though.

Just concerns..how *do* these things really work?

Comment

So far as I know, it's a damage reduction "buff" (though it never shows as a buff or enhancement to my shield). I haven't paid that much attention to it, but I think it operates much like a "(insert name) resistance potion" that offers xxx points of damage reduction before being used up.

Since it DOES reduce damage taken, it mitigates rage generation from incoming damage...but not so as to cause a problem. It doesn't seem to block ALL damage until it's gone...but is related to shield damage mitigation. I've never tried to apply the rune during combat, only as a preparatory buff.
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Right- I've put them on before a fight, to cover the first segment of when I get hit. I've used them primarily on Curator fights, so when the Astral Flares come to me, I am hit with little to no damage until I've been hit for what I presume to be 4k damage. I believe it puts a "buff" icon up, too, so I would know when it was gone. I will make a stack tonight and mess with them a bit, to see exactly what I observe.

Comment

If you turn on item buffs with CTMod or whatever mod you use to show buffs then you'll see the rune of shielding buff on there just like you'll see the 2 rune of wardings (1 for the buff duration and 1 for the 2 minute reapplied), oils, poisons, shaman weapon enchants, stones, and whatever else you can slap on your weapons.

Lures too for that matter.

Apparently WoWHead says this works like a BS made portable PW:S that absorbs the first 1000/4000 damage taken and doesn't require a block to activate. Guess that explains why it helps with Arcane Flares since you can't block arcane spell damage with a shield...as a paladin.
                  My sanity is not in question...
                  It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Hmmm...I use CTMod but I've never seen a buff show up for these.
                    Beep

Comment

I've seen buff duration for the rune of warding, but that specifically says it lasts for an hour. Maybe the reason it doesn't show up is that it doesn't have a set duration. It's just there until it absorbs the allotted damage or you die.

Comment

I used a few of these in KZ last night, to observe. There is definitely a buff icon up with the rest of the buffs when this is applied to your shield.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X