Gruul's Lair AAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gruul's Lair AAR

Group: Beep, Eld, Gaviin, Max, Valik, Aeryck, Jest, Muirc, Ricca, Shalt, Ana, Baylord, Pistos, Sajier, Wintrow, Lightshow, Luna, Mirada, Tarenth, Xyris, Amalie, Dryne, Gaze, Starrocketer, Valayna.

High King Maulgar
    Tanks:
    Maulgar - Beep
    Warlock - Eld
    Priest - Max
    Mage - Gaze
    Shaman - Valayna

Went in with a solid group, first attempt we learned our positioning and had to make a couple positioning changes for Misdirections. Still was our best pull ever, and we knew we were going to be good.

Second attempt, we make some adjustments to the hunters positions and separated the misdirection from the pull. This dramatically helped, we lost Gaze early which cost us the fight, but we showed clear progress. We reset it and prepped for our next attempt.

Third attempt was a beauty. We knocked down Priest and Warlock quickly, the rogues finished off the shaman and the mage went down shortly after. Damage started on Maulgar, and we got him quickly into enrage. At this point we had one aggro issue that cost us a few people, but we pulled it back in, refocused and knocked him down.

[item]Hammer of the Naaru[/item] - Lunatg
    [item]Netherblade Shoulderpads[/item] - Shalt
    [item]Warbringer Shoulderguards[/item] - Beep

Gruul the Dragonslayer
    Went in for our first shot at him and worked through making steady progress. First attempt was 74%, then 51%, then 38%, then 30%, then 28%. We made steady progress, and should have him down on Sunday.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Re: Gruul's Lair AAR

Gratz guys!! Very nice!

Level 80 Warrior
    Level 74 Priest

Comment

good job. Nice pulling together.

Comment

I've been scanning a few discussion forums to get some ideas on how others have gotten over the gruul hump. Most are pretty obvious but a couple sounded interesting and may have a noticeable effect.

MT:
        Shield block every cooldown
        Move out of cave-in
        Chug stoneshield/ironshield pots from growth 8+
        Use shield wall, last stand & trinkets if it's a solid attempt @ ~20%

OT/warrior:
        Demoralizing shout & imp thunderclap always up
        Intervene after reverberation
        No frontal attacks (gruul parry can cause a haste effect that eats shield block which increases risk of crushing blow)

Melee DPS:
        DPS!
        Heal yourself (very few heals after ~growth 8)
        No frontal attacks (gruul parry can cause a haste effect that eats shield block increasing risk of crushing blow)

Healing:
        Always have a heal in progress, cancel if needed
        HOT's for reverberation
        After ~growth 8, one healer on dps (if needed), one on OT and all others on MT

Paladin:
        Imp Concentration aura
        Lay on Hands to MT (nice w/ improved talent) at ~growth 10
        Bubble out of reverb silence

Range DPS:
        DPS!
        Heal yourself (very few heals after ~growth 8)
        *Might be nice to have a full pve affliction spec warlock in the group for the deadly dots and damage debuffs

We had a couple good introductory nights on Gruul. With our recent experience and a little fine tuning, I have no doubt Gruul will be eating dirt next time.
        Last edited by Aeryck; 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM. Reason: update bubble

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryck View Post
          I've been scanning a few discussion forums to get some ideas on how others have gotten over the gruul hump. Most are pretty obvious but a couple sounded interesting and may have a noticeable effect.

MT:
          Shield block every cooldown
          Move out of cave-in
          Chug stoneshield/ironshield pots from growth 8+
          Use shield wall, last stand & trinkets if it's a solid attempt @ ~20%

OT/warrior:
          Demoralizing shout & imp thunderclap always up
          Intervene after reverberation
          No frontal attacks (gruul parry can cause a haste effect that eats shield block which increases risk of crushing blow)
          That's pretty much how Shara and I were playing it. Areas for improvement:
          1. Position the off-tank to the rear (we weren't coordinating this).
          2. MT to pay more attention to cave-in (it's hard to see through Gruul...getting a TS notification to move him helps a lot).
          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Some thoughts after going back over the strats last night:

Concentration Aura
            Originally posted by from Wowhead
            Improved Concentration Aura Rank 3

Increases the effect of your Concentration Aura by an additional 15% and reduces the duration of any Silence or Interrupt effect used against an affected group member by 30%. The duration reduction does not stack with any other effects.
            It was brought up to switch a Pally and a Priest from group 3/4. I don't think anyone realized the reduction of Silence. In the future we should do this for sure.

Tank Order
            Originally posted by from Wowwiki
            Druids make excellent off-tanks. The Hurtful Strike cannot crit, and cannot be a crushing blow, so all the OT needs is armor, HP, and threat generation. Druids don't have to rely on getting hit to generate rage like warriors do, and their typical gear will give them very high dodge as well.
            and

Originally posted by from Wowwiki
            This third tank should intervene the main tank to take a hit once during the AoE silence so the healers don't have to worry about the main tank dying due to lack of heals.
            If the tank order was Beep, Talara, Sharabeth you could take advantage of having Talara taking the hateful strikes and Shara intervening during the AoE Silence. This should also help with rage as well.

Movement and Shatter
            I know a few of us were breaking off early and getting into a nook which eliminates the knockback. Personally it seemed to help me and it wasn't a problem moving away the few times there was someone in a nook close by. The only time I ever had a problem was when I didn't go out just before the ground slam. And for mages - one of the spots I was close enough for me to cast Mindblast so it could be a spot one mage could stand the whole time and never worry about being thrown in the air.

Thanks to everyone who provided flasks, oils, food, pots and any other consumables - with a personal thanks to Valik for the flask he gave me and each of the other casters.

Overall I'm very excited about the weekend. I would have loved to see Gruul go down the first weekend we tried him, but I think our quick progress on Maulgar and some of our better attempts on Gruul show that we have the makings of a really good team here. I was telling Gav last night that with the group of people, if we all stay focused and work together that we can really make some noise.

EDIT: Finished this after Aeryck and Beep's posts. Pardon the duplicate info.
            Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
            Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
            ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos View Post
              Movement and Shatter
              I know a few of us were breaking off early and getting into a nook which eliminates the knockback. Personally it seemed to help me and it wasn't a problem moving away the few times there was someone in a nook close by. The only time I ever had a problem was when I didn't go out just before the ground slam. And for mages - one of the spots I was close enough for me to cast Mindblast so it could be a spot one mage could stand the whole time and never worry about being thrown in the air.
              Just to add to what Pistos said....

It's also helpful to kinda take a look around and make sure that you are not bunched up around people. I tried to make sure that during my dps I spun my camera left and right to make sure there weren't too many people around me. If there were then I would start moving to a less populated area, this is very necessary especially if you see a couple of "lucky charms" near by. Don't wait for the ground slam to hit and then look for a less populated area. It will be too late for you to react.

Great job everyone. Now let's go kick Gruul in the nits. :row__523:
              "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

Can we get raids posted for this weekend please :)
                Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Wow gratz guys. Wish i was there. Poor delg is Collecting Cobwebs.
                  FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Comment

Aye some nice progress on your first trip into the Lair. Gratz to all & GL on your next Gruul attempts.

TL.
                    -=[dMw]=-TeaLeaf
                    deadmen.co.uk
                    Vanilla cleared in vanilla. TBC cleared in TBC.
                    Heroic WotLK cleared. Awaiting Cataclysm.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X