AAr Gruul's Lair 8/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAr Gruul's Lair 8/10

Team: Beep, Sharabeth, Maxarilius, Baylord, Anastacea, Wintrow, Lightshow, Sajier, Mirada, Pistos, Janimus, Xyris, Elminnster, Gaze, Dryne, Amalie, Zeddzorander, Gnopaine, Jest, Aeryck, Shalt, Gaviin, Enya, Valayna, Violacea, Delg

Maulgar:
    Took us a bit to get our heads on straight. After some bad pulls, and accidental pulls, we settled down and got it working. We learned that not having 3 misdirects makes the pull a lot harder, but great work to those who adjusted and made it happen. The final kill was a bit sloppy, but we pulled it off.

[item]Bladespire Warbands[/item] - Baylord (for his tank/dps set)
    [item]Justicar Pauldrons[/item] - Baylord
    [item]Light-Mantle of the Incarnate[/item] - Wintrow

After Maul we moved on and worked on Gruul. Got him to 35% in our best attempt. We can do better, we just need to handle the shatters and not lose 4 people on the first or second one.

Good work tonight guys, we made progress and will be in there Sunday and hopefully can knock him down and start looking at Mags.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Re: AAr Gruul's Lair 8/10

I re-spec after the raid tonight to prevent spellsteal resists. I put max points into arcane focus and arcane subtlety. Hopefully this will help next week.
    "Uhhhh.... Try this HOT and let me know how it goes."

Comment

I suggest people look at the following tables, The first one is our best run on Gruul tonight, the second is one of our not so good runs. I suggest people look at their own stats, as well as people in their same class, Its a very interesting tool for learning about your own play styles, and how others do it.

Sajier's WWS Tables
      Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

gratz guys who won stuff! one day hoping to see a tg member with t4 pants as well :P
        Tip: If you're dumb like me to add a item link in a post type out [item]Item Name Here[/item]

Quote Of The Month
        "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip the bird."

RAWR!!!

Xyris: 70 Shadow Priest
        Faeron: 64 Beast Mastery Hunter

Comment

I found this post (Xannatharr, 8/7/07) on the WoW Raids & Dungeons forum that attempts to break down the dps required to drop Gruul by growth 16.

"Brutal Math:

Gruul has about 3,500,000 life. You really need to burn through this within 16 grows, less is better. Each grow you can really only DPS part of the time (75%-80% dps uptime), due the ground slam/shatter.

3,500,000 / 16 = 218,750 damage needed per grow

30 x .80 = 24 sconds of DPS per grow

218,750 / 24 = 9,115 Raid DPS needed

Divide 9,115 by the number of dedicated DPS you are going to bring, and you will see what the average DPS output that they must each provide.

If you bring 16 DPS raid members, then:

9,115 / 16 = 569 DPS each

So, look at your meters, and see how many of your DPS people are realistically delivering roughly enough DPS to do their share, based on your raid composition.

A lot of guilds go healer-heavy while they are learning the fight, simply to be able to heal up after bad shatter damage. But bear in mind that if you are bringing 7 healers and three tanks, you now have only 14 DPS.

9,115 / 14 = 651 DPS each. Your DPSers may not be up to this kind of output at your current level of gear progression.

Xann"

I think we are definitely capable of this at our current gear level, especially as we get more familiar with the fight. As a raid, we may need to tweak a group to max party buffs etc. Individually, we may have to examine our current talent builds and spell/attack rotations to see if we can crank this dps up a notch.
          Last edited by Aeryck; 08-11-2007, 08:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Besides the issue with lost DPS while running that Xyris brought up elsewhere, the mass silence really cuts it down also. It's important for casters with DoTs to watch for the raid warnings on Silence and get those DoTs refreshed before you can't cast anymore.

Gnopaine - Level 70 Warlock (Affliction)
            Scarpia (aka Edbane) - Level 70 Paladin (Holy)
            Ripoffron - Level 1 Auction House Hustler

Comment

how come im not on either of the reports??

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

Why would you bring 3 tanks to Gruul?

Comment

Left over from Mulgar I suppose.
                  My sanity is not in question...
                  It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamis View Post
                    Why would you bring 3 tanks to Gruul?
                    We had an early dropout...and the only guildie ready to replace was a tank...very simple, actually!!!
                    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Don't be surprised if for your first kill Gruul is at 19ish growths, that's very realistic for a first kill. Great job guys, you'll get him :D
                      Thunderhorn:
                      70 Night Elf Priest-Lunaar(holy)
                      70 Human Mage-Alava(Fire)
                      70 Night Elf Hunter-Insai(Beast Master)
                      70 Dwarf Paladin-Ginoldor(Protection)
                      70 Human Warrior-Revenged(Protection)
                      70 Draenei Shaman-Tianora(Elemental)
                      70 Draenei Shaman-Fayrel(Restoration)
                      Gilneas:
                      50 Undead Priest-Eikyl(Shadow)

Comment

Considering we can't seem to keep our tanks alive at ~13 growths, I can't imagine how 19 is going to work.
                        Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Gaviin View Post
                          Considering we can't seem to keep our tanks alive at ~13 growths, I can't imagine how 19 is going to work.
                          I might be able to help some with this. I am thinking about tweaking my spec a little bit to take 5 points in Shadow Embrace. This would mean that anytime I have Corruption, Curse of Agony, or Siphon Life on a mob (pretty much all the time when I'm alive), the mob's physical damage done would be decreased by 5%.

I'm looking for some feedback on whether that is worthwhile. Seems like 5% less damage to the tanks would be helpful on Gruul, but would it be enough to make the difference?

I could take two points out of Soul Siphon and three out of Fel Concentration to make room for this talent. This wouldn't hamper my raid effectiveness, but would make solo farming a little more difficult. Seems like a good tradeoff, if the raid leaders would like me to try it.

Another point about damage in for tanks: As we discussed at the end of the last raid, I will try to have Curse of Elts up for the mage damage at the beginning of the fight, but once we hit 8 Grows or so, I will switch to Curse of Weakness to cut the damage down. I am specced for Improved CoW, so this reduces his attack power by 420, and should help mitigate the damage done in some of the later Grows.

It's a little rough when we're only bringing one warlock to the raid. Ideally we should have at least 3 so we can keep Elements, Shadows, and Weakness up all at once. Warlocks and shadow priests buff each other's damage, so that would also help overall raid DPS.

Gnopaine - Level 70 Warlock (Affliction)
                          Scarpia (aka Edbane) - Level 70 Paladin (Holy)
                          Ripoffron - Level 1 Auction House Hustler

Comment

Shadow Embrace is certainly helpful, but you have to weigh it against the lost DPS.

Most DPS race fights involve some sort of gimmick that limits or inhibits the outgoing damage to the tanks. Gruul does this synthetically in the form of his growths.

Early in that fight, that Shadow Embrace is not going to amount to anything that is game breaking. The way his scaling works, Gruul hits comparatively weakly until about grow 6, by which I mean he hits less than most T4-T5 level raid bosses.

Basically, in this fight, you'll want to keep Gruul's outgoing damage to a minimum by killing him more quickly. The more quickly you can kill him, the less effective Shadow Embrace will be. So the question is will those 5 points be better spent in boosting your damage?

Comment

I should also add...

If you bring more than one warlock, which I recommend, until Grow 6 ensure that there is a Curse of Recklessness up. It will not significantly increase his damage but it will allow the melee to be doing a bit more.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X