Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character theft

Greetings

Until this moment, I thought likely that character hacks where the work of ex girlfriend/boyfriend, sloppy borrowing of passwords or bad practical jokes.
    My husband home early from work while playing dewidkat saw my character log on Thursday afternoon. He whispered to the character, who threatened to delete the ID. He was able to raise a GM and drove to work for me to authorize a new pw, log in was completed and d/c the guy. I am grateful to guild members who kept this fellow busy while he held Junbugg hostage. After this event I did as instructed by the GM: new pw to secure, unrelated email, ran virus software, changed pw, contact information and email address and initiated a ticket in game. I am fortunate to have most of the clothes on my back but bags and bank empty. On second login after running 2 additional virus programs, I found that my account was suspended and I was temporilary banned.
    I am patiently waiting but have heard no further news (now Sunday). Understanding that this is usually a key logger I share this experience because at baseline I donít feel that vulnerable. I use a Mac, not IE, I never share pw, (not even Dewi) and have never bought gold or surfed those sites. I do use links on the TG page and during Christmas was on the blizzard site, but never use links as a rule nor open emails or links or emails.
    Risk assessment is a life process and no security will seem enough when it fails and protection vs. functionality loss is a balance in life. For example, my paranoia prompted me to update my security on my laptop which promptly caused my wireless function to no longer work.
    On the forum it is clear blizzard feels that security is the userís responsibility, but certainly the customer has some expectation that blizzard also creates a secure environment. This episode may only coincidentally follow my open ticket last Sunday night, as the trinket I had gotten in Karazan was not in my bags and they were not full I had submitted a ticket, but I am concerned and am reporting that as well.
    Freezing accounts are probably in my best interest, but with no response to phone report or ticket for the suspended time, seems part of the victimization as well. I would equate it to a patient coming to the ER with a heart attack and the doctor saying well ďheck you should have taken better care of your diabetes. Iíll wait 72 hours before I think about your caseĒ or getting carjacked at the mall and having the police wait 72 hours before interviewing you cause you didnít park close enough.
    Customer service in any business is most likely to be resolving something the customer had some responsibility for.
    I am hopeful that I will get my character restored (reactivated but still empty bags now Sunday night 11 PM) as you guys are aware she is the only toon I really play and I am quite attached to her. :) I feel fortunate to have the clothes that were equipped so I can immediately play. I have taken some additional steps to prevent keyloggers specifically and I suggest folks think through their security processes.
    Good adventure to you and be careful out there in VR

Junebugg

Re: Character theft

Sorry to hear that June. Very unfortunate. I hope this gets resolved soon and losses are minimized.

Comment

Have you identified a keylogger? Or is that speculation? That your wireless stopped working when you re-secured the system suggests that you were running without any wireless security before while playing. Is that the case? If so, someone could easily have sniffed any number of login credentials passed unencrypted over the web. (I'm hoping the WoW login is encrypted, but who knows? I've not tried to sniff the connection to verify. And someone on a shared cable connection can do the same sniffing.)
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

nope the wireless problem on my lap top, not the computer i play wow on. I just meant i became more concerned about work laptop as well in the globalized paranoia following the event. Good for me to make that more clear. But I appreciate any suggestions and ideas. I think the microsoft security update is what confused this connection wireless on the lap top and dewi has fixed it for me.

June :)

Comment

Ok, I'm just curious to know how they got you, as I have to worry about network security in my office and want to be aware of possible threats.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

On a very bad spat of spyware infiltration and virus infestation that somehow sneaked past my AV software I found myself a really bad situation. Limping my way online I looked for solutions for what problems I could find and eventually that helped me clean out my system and get it running again.

I used Hijack This which basically scans everything you have running on your computer through the processes and registry and checks it with a database of known problems. It will highlight problems you have that will slip by conventional anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, but it won't do anything about them except create a log that can be used by analyists to pin point problems and devise solutions. Its a detection tool and if you do find anything with it I highly suggest you find professional or knowledgeable assistance before you act on your findings. Yes, I made that bold on purpose. Sometimes problems don't go away with a press of the delete keys and if you try to rip out problems you just might destroy your system in the process.

If you're feeling really paranoid I suggest using it to check up on your system to make sure a keylogger isn't sneaking past all your detection tools by hiding under the radar. I also got good information from the forums of PC Pitstop so if you don't want to seek help from the MIT trained professionals in TG (seriously...we have several hard core computer people in TG) then you could also go there.
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Thanks tarenth,

I have gotten advice as you described as well :)
              Not taking anything for granted as well and have separated activity for important other stuff to another computer different place, different passwords.

The great news is that last night most of my stuff (includin Christmas hats) were returned. My game pets are sadly missing... but oh well

Thanks everyone again for your kindness and best wishes.

June, humble paladin

Comment

Glad to hear you got most of it back girl...
                Candrice 63 Warrior
                Ricca 70 Rogue
                Machelle 70 Mage
                Enya 74 Druid

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/guild-s...ount-hack.html

Comment

grats to you getting your stuff back sadly mine was never returned... pretty much same situation all stuff gone from bank and bags. left me 19g, cleared all the contacts out of my friends list. it was a weird get around. i think that it had to do with a bad plugin i think. o well i am still not 70 so the gear i had was nothing great.
                    Final Fantasy 11 Retired
                    ~Unicorn- Choo 40Blm, 36Drk, 20War, 18Whm

World of Warcraft

~Choo-Lock 53

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed