Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the people who play WoW a community?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes the people who play WoW a community?

Hello there. I'm from the Battlefield community here at TG, but for a paper I'm writing for my English class, I have to talk about the aspects and definitions of community among those who play World of Warcraft. So, to get some info, I figured I should post here and get some feedback for my paper (due in a week or so). Please help a fellow TG'er and answer a few questions. You don't have to answer every single one, but please be concise and elaborate in your responses. If I like you guys enough (tee-hee :row__577:), maybe I'll post the paper here when I get it graded.

So, here are a few things I want to know about. Please also state if you'd mind that I use your real name (useful for quotes and attribution). Keep in mind that this paper is to be read by those who supposedly do not play video games.

How did you get into WoW? Recommendation? From playing Warcraft III?

How much money do you think you've spent on playing WoW? Include purchasing the game, subscription fees, possible computer upgrades, etc. As long as they're related to the game.

Is there some sort of organization amongst the group (say, by rank or by class)? What are guilds and how do they work?

What activities do you engage in on a monthly/weekly/or daily basis in WoW?

What methods are used to communicate with each other in game?

Seeing that WoW is primarily an online endeavor, are there instances where you gather with others who play WoW in person and play/talk about the game?

There have been many parodies and jokes made about the game and those who play it. How did you react to these parodies/joke?

Has playing WoW changed the way you live your life? How?

With a market becoming saturated with MMOs, what will keep you playing WoW?
    sigpic

Formerly of the fabled 3rd Special Forces Detachment

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Re: What makes the people who play WoW a community?

1. Co-workers played it. Purchased it for my birthday in '06
    2. I have two accounts that I've roughly had for 22 months - ~$700 (transferred servers 3x)
    - I didn't upgrade my computers to play this game, but I just built my second in two years. I have spent roughly $2800 on those computers.
    3. Meh I'm not much into the ranks, but there are guilds and ranks within them. I think I'm a recruit still for this guild. Although I have been a guild leader/raid leader multiple times in previous guilds.
    4. There are daily quests and you can raid dungeons with a group of people.
    5. Regular chat and voice chat
    6. I met my boyfriend from this game if that counts. A lot of my friends and co-workers play, that's how I got into it in the first place.
    7. My children call it warcrap which I find hilarious
    8. I spend a lot more time in front of the computer after work than I did previously.
    9. I still find new content interesting. With the variety of classes that you can play it keeps it interesting for me. The quests may be the same, but the way you do things changes completely depending on the class you play.
    Delectable - 70 Druid
    Nymphai - 70 Rogue
    Meepmeep - 70 Warlock

Comment

I was all ready part of an online gaming community as TacticalGamer.com(TG). I did not play the previous Warcraft games any more that passingly. While fun the style in the earlier versions were not something that kept me interested for a long time. I started wow when a significant number of others from TG moved to WoW. I was reluctant at first knowing that the game would draw me in a probably take more of my time than I really wanted it to. I finally caved and have been playing ever since. almost 3 yrs now I think.

How much money do you think you've spent on playing WoW? Include purchasing the game, subscription fees, possible computer upgrades, etc. As long as they're related to the game.

roughly
      $49 wow or is that $59 can't remember.
      $49 BC
      $540 3years subscription
      $3100 New Laptop(I can't say this was just for wow but it sees a lot action in wow)

Is there some sort of organization amongst the group (say, by rank or by class)? What are guilds and how do they work?

Yes Organization varies between differing guilds but our guild is made of a small group of leaders that swap out responsibilities from time to time, and is supported by a council of officers that help in anything from recruitment to organizing guild events. Essentially a guild is simply a group of like minded players who enjoy each others company, have similar in game goals, and organize in order to reach those goals. It consists of several leaders who organize large group runs or RAIDS. It also consists of many fine players who are content to let the leaders lead and contribute in many other ways. The guild has to support itself by keeping new members coming and keeping old members happy

There are many in game activities done a daily basis that are done solo such as qwesting to complete objectives or gain items or Gold. Farming for materials to make things out of. Items you make can then be sold to other players directly or means of an in game Auction house. There is quite a in-game economy that varies from server to server. There are weekly RAIDS that are scheduled by various subgroups in the guild or Squads of 10-15 people that come together regularly to cooperatively defeat a certain dungeon and all of it's inhabitants. There are also larger groups of 25-30 made of these squads called platoons that come together for much more intense dungeons requiring lots of coordinated efforts to defeat.

In game chat and voice options are available but we primarily use Teamspeak to communicate in game by voice.

Seeing that WoW is primarily an online endeavor, are there instances where you gather with others who play WoW in person and play/talk about the game?

Although I have not been to any there have been instances of members getting together for some RL partying.

There have been many parodies and jokes made about the game and those who play it. How did you react to these parodies/joke?

I find them pretty hilarious even if they directed towards the few folks out there that make them real enough to be funny. One thing I think that most non-gamers don't realize out there is that this is not a game being played solely by children or teenagers. I think most would surprised to find out the average age of our guild in particular. I don't know if any numbers have ever been released as to the average age of the WoW player in general, but i would guess that our guild averages from 26-34 with BEEP pulling the average higher every year ;) BEEP = Grandpa plays WOW.

Probably not a lot. I spent a lot of time in online gaming before WoW. WoW may have taken up more time than normal at certain times but my online time is pretty well balanced and if RL gets busy then I am simply not online as much.

Mostly it's just the community here at TacticalGamer. If I ever quit playing WoW I will probably just playing something else here in the Tactical Gamer community. WoW might have some competition for me when Stargate Worlds comes out though.

Dustin Finlinson
      36 Years old
      Utah
      You can use my name if you need. Just spell check me pleeassse!
      "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

I became interested in WoW after reading the reviews. I never played Warcraft III.

I've been playing for about 2 years. Game purchases were probably $75. Monthly subscription at $14.95 per month. Video card upgrade was $200 or so. I bought a leveling guide for $35. For what it's worth, this displaces a lot of video rentals, book purchases and other game purchases. It's also FAR cheaper than hanging out at the local bar!:)

We work in-game primarily through the guild. For casual groupings (up to 5 person), the group will select someone to be the party leader for the planned activity. In most cases, it's the person who organized the group and extended the invitation.

For more "organized" outings, 10 or 25 person, there can be one or more designated Raid Leaders. These leaders are chosen primarily based on demonstrated leadership ability and willingness to take on that responsibility. They have additional "work" to learn and research the various in-game encounters so as to be able to direct traffic and organize the group efforts.

The role of the guild is to enable a committed group of players to form a mutual help group and make in-game progress together. The guild also works to help players learn to be "better" at playing the game.

The guild is organized with ranks, but those ranks are variable over time depending on the need for administration. Our guild has about 125 members. We have a couple layers of officer ranks and a similar number of non-officer ranks (e.g. Recruit and Primary...with a designation for "alts" (non-main characters))

For me, I have squad (10 man groups) activities once or twice per week. Platoon (25 man group) activities 2-3 times per week. In addition, there are daily "chores" to earn gold, acquire resources or gain skills.

The ten and 25 man groups are usually 3-4 hours long per session and work off a posted "raid schedule". These group activities are oriented to tackle the game's "instances" or dungeon-type extended encounters.

We use guild chat/party chat/raid chat and TeamSpeak.

Very rarely for me. That's 2 others, twice, in two years.

For the most part they can be very funny (especially the Southpart Episode about WoW). It's less funny if the joke is made by someone who doesn't know the game.

Yes, the change is much about how much time it takes. It can be a big time sink. For me it mostly displaces TV watching.

I question whether the market is "saturated". There are other games, but none (so far) that is as engaging, entertaining and well-made as WoW. What keeps my interest is the opportunity to "hang out" with my on-line friends and pursue in-game progression through the content offered by the game. Over time, that content needs to be updated and expanded, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

You may NOT use my real name for quotes.
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

How did you get into WoW? Recommendation? From playing Warcraft III? I got into it after taking the recommendation of several friends (Luna, Apophis, Bear, Quarath) that I played JO/GR, etc with. I did play Warcraft 3, but I knew these titles were nothing alike.

How much money do you think you've spent on playing WoW? Include purchasing the game, subscription fees, possible computer upgrades, etc. As long as they're related to the game. Over the course of almost 3 years, I've probably spent 540 on subcriptions, 100 on the game itself, and maybe 1500 upgrading my computer (which was not solely for WoW). So gaming for me is roughly $700/yr.

Is there some sort of organization amongst the group (say, by rank or by class)? What are guilds and how do they work? Guilds are a group of characters that plan on working together...sure you can sometimes get PUGs (Pick Up Groups), but it's alot harder and not as sure to get the goal accomplished. TG differs in it's size and general feeling of a larger community. We are almost several guilds inside of a guild.

What activities do you engage in on a monthly/weekly/or daily basis in WoW? Raiding and Questing to gear up characters...basically so we can see more of the game's content. Sometime's we've had Christmas parties or such with door prizes or gift exchanges. It's corny, but it's also funny as hell getting everyone together just to jump off a cliff playing "Darts"

What methods are used to communicate with each other in game? Forums and Teamspeak. Teamspeak allows for an easier time shooting the breeze while in an instance or raid.

Seeing that WoW is primarily an online endeavor, are there instances where you gather with others who play WoW in person and play/talk about the game? I talk to a couple people at work and we discuss different intricacies of the game. We've considered making a toon on each other's servers. Shall I bring up the party held up in Rhode Island for TG's WoW guild. Sure, only so many showed, but I would have if it wasn't so far away.

There have been many parodies and jokes made about the game and those who play it. How did you react to these parodies/joke? I kind of laugh at it. We all know we're geeks. I'm a geek when it comes to video games, others are geeks when it comes to football. We pick our poison. Mine is computer animated challenges via video games...been that way all my life...and it's always funny to laugh at yourself or make fun of what you do...

Has playing WoW changed the way you live your life? How? I'd say very little. I play more now than I used to, but it's only because my work schedule allows for alot on my "play" schedule.

With a market becoming saturated with MMOs, what will keep you playing WoW? Don't know at the moment. It's a good game. WoW is the only game I've played consistently for 2+ years....and besides, it's the people I play with that keep me here.

Comment

Well basically it all started with about 6 members of my family playing. I quit Star Wars Galaxies(A different MMORPG) and moved over to WoW when my family all told me how it was and it would be cool to all hang out. I did play All of the Warcraft game series before WoW and I did like them very much, but that didn't really have anything to do with me joining WoW--it was mostly my family. When I quit there were only about 8 of us playing in my family, but at one time we had I think 17 of us from various parts of the US playing at one time, it was quite a blast while it lasted :)

Well I would guess a lot. I started on 3-26-05 and quit on 1-6-08 I paid anywhere from $14.99-$29.99 for a 1 month or 2 month game card subscription up until those points.--just break it down for $15 a month theres that factor. I bought 2 gigs of ram for about $300 total at the time, and a video card for about $500 at the time. The ram was for WoW and other games--mostly WoW, the Video card was just an upgrade in general from an on-board Video card, and it was for multiple games, because I am a gamer!

Organization? For me that is what this game was entirely based upon. I had been a Raider since the day I hit level 60, just 2 weeks after I purchased the game. I was in High school at the time, school came easy, I never had homework--All my spare time I put into gaming and exercise so I wouldn't become a Living Lump o' Lard! I would usually get off school at 3:00 pm, get home by 4:15--be summoned to a Raid instance by 4:30 and eat some junk food to curb my appetite for my 6 hour+ raids. Back then raids were 40 people. I raided from 4:30 to anywhere from 11:00-2:00 am. The raids took a LOT of organization and co-operation from everyone in order to see the games maximum content.

Now, none. After "The Burning Crusade" came out, I was in my 10 man raids (after I hit 70 with some decent gear equipped) about 1-2 days a week for 3-4 hours. I did daily quests and heroic instances to get Primal Nethers(Just a material Required to craft items to sell) to keep money up to pay for repairs in my raids.

Most players in WoW use a "Voice" based program, whether that be Voice chat, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Skype, or something else(Those were the most commonly used). It is a lot faster to communicate and give/receive directions/orders through an almost "Phone" based setup, opposed to typing. Now I can type almost 80wpm, but a LOT of other can not, if something hits the fan in a Raid or an Instance--then you need to be able to communicate quickly to get a situation under control before everyone dies :).

I do work with a couple of people who play WoW and we talk about it just cause theres nothing better to talk about at work.

Most I thought were quite humorous. As Beep said, if its a bad joke or they are trying to knock the game, they probably don't know anything about it and are just using it for "Business"

Before I was playing WoW, I played Star Wars Galaxies(As mentioned above) and I was putting just as much time into that MMO as I did WoW until I joined a "Hardcore End-game" guild. At that point I was raiding for anywhere from 8 hours+ daily and sleeping for about 2-3 hours, get up and go to school--come home and be summoned(Brought to the instance we are "Tackling" for the night, by means of a Spell) to the instance and in I went! I did that for approximately 3 months and couldn't do it anymore. I got burned out, and my grades started falling to B's. So I quit that guild and went to a laid back guild--got my grades back up, and enjoyed playing casually. I cannot really say it changed the way I lived other than I stopped watching all TV other than the occasional News/Weather channel for a few minutes, I dumped ALL of my spare time into raiding...

At the time, I would have kept playing until I either met someone, or found something cheaper and better to do. I have now met who I am sure will be the love of my life, and I'm probably going to marry her. I dedicate all of my time to our relationship, thats why I quit wow. Without life, you have no life. Love is very much a part of life, therefore without love, you are nothing(Whether that be your families, friends, or a special someone)

Additional Statements:
            Here is how I look at people who play wow, and or other MMO games. Most MMO's are either Free, or cost only $15 a month. Thats $0.50 a day, doing what you enjoy.

For me, thats no gas money wasted to go hang out with friends to party or drink or do drugs, which A LOT of young people do today. Not ALL of those things are bad, but that just WASN'T my life, I wasn't that kid. Consider my age group, 2005(I was 18) to 2008(I'll be 21 in June) I'm not saying everyone does that, but I do know a LOT do. Also you have to consider other Gamers--thats about the only categories there are to look at here, people who play games, and people who don't. People who don't, watch sit at home and watch tv, talk on the phone all day etc etc, or go out to hang out with friends, possibly party, possibly just drive around and enjoy spending time together. Then there are other gamers who don't play, nor care to play, MMORPG's(Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Games). They probably purchase around 2-5 games a month for different platforms(PC, Xbox, Playstation) all usually starting out at $49.99+ Thats more than we spend in a month for this 1 game, and its endless, those other games they will beat in a few days/weeks(On personal experiences, I would say 90% of the time those games are that fast/easy) This one there is ALWAYS something to do--and if you HAVE finished everything, you can always log off and creat a different class--or the same class, with a different build/Specc(This affects what your class can do)

For example: A Person who has a Druid(The Shapeshifter Class) can put his points in 3 Trees of his "Talents" as he levels. Starting at level 10, you get 1 point per level until you reach level 70 to distribute among these trees. These trees have the ability to enhance your based on his gear setup, and what you want to do with him. For example, The druid has 3 trees, as stated previously, they are "Balance, Feral, and Restoration" The Balance aspect of a druid(A giant Owl-beast creature after putting 1 point in that talent, 40 points into the Balance tree) is entirely based on offensive Nature and Arcane type spells. The Feral aspect of a druid(Depending on situation/Gear/Personal wants and satisfactions) You can be a Tank(Bear form)(The person Hold Aggression on a target in the game--and your the Meat shield, your objective is to see how mad you can make that target towards you :). You can also be a melee DPS and rip things apart(in your Cat Form). Or you can become a healer as Restoration specc, which is a Tree form, its the funniest looking form in my opinion. As restoration specc, your role is to keep HoTs(Heals over Time--once cast they heal for X amount every 3 seconds for 12 seconds) on the tank and keep other party memebers healed with these as well. They have the slowest heals, but they hit the strongest. Mostly this specc is designed for intense boss fights where there are points in the fight where the tank takes sudden spikes of damage, those HoTs are usually the very reason that the tank lives, just in time to recieve a big heal by a different healer specc'd class.
            As you can see I can go on for quite awhile about this, and I'm not going to write a guide(At this time, lol) for what all is capable of being done. But if you have a druid as a Healer, but you want to have a Tanking druid of your own as well, all you have to do is log off, and put more time into leveling a different druid, while spending his points in a different Tree in his specc's. MMO's are VERY in depth and can "Draw-you-in" quite easily, you just have to have the will power to keep your priorities straight!

Tactical Gamer has very good people, and everyone knows that people have lives to live, therefore TG is not a HARDCORE raiding guild on the server, but when I was playing--and I know they still are doing just this--We were progressioning with great speed and success putting us as one of the better guilds on the server. Now that doesn't change the FACT that TG is the BEST guild on the server. Very drama free, and a very warm "Home'ish" feeling for you and your online buddies.

Sorry for any and all spelling errors there are in here, but I hope this helps with your paper :)
            As far as my real name, sorry but I wish for that to be left out, just say "Ghost, a Druid from Tactical Gamer" if you must...
            Last edited by Gaiaghost07; 02-19-2008, 09:54 AM. Reason: Real name...
            Doomkin...Tree...or Bear. If your not the above, your not cool! *Note* Alts don't count....

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have a quite a bit to work with, and now I have a few follow up questions as well.

How did you react when news came that WoW had broken the 10 million player mark?

Do you think that the condition known as "Game Addiction" is a serious issue for you or anyone you know who plays WoW?

What issues have you run into since you've played the game? By issues, I mean glitches and exploits that people have taken advantage of.

Explain a few of the gameplay mechanics in WoW. Keep in mind, neither the reader nor myself understand the game.

What do you do to try to expand the population of WoW?
              sigpic

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Comment

How did you react when news came that WoW had broken the 10 million player mark?

I didn't much care other than to complain as to why I had to wait to log into my server when Blizzard is making 1.8 billion a year in subscription revenue. They have since fixed that problem but I think they were a little slow to do so. I do think they could maintain their servers for far less they are charging and still making a ton of money. When they release a new expansion think of the instant revenue when the majority of the 10 million subscribers all run out the same day to pay $60 bucks for it. If only half buy it at release time that's 3billion revenue in one day.

Do you think that the condition known as "Game Addiction" is a serious issue for you or anyone you know who plays WoW?

I am sure for some it is, especially younger players who have less experience coping with real life(RL) but there a lot worse thing someone could be addicted to. I much rather my son was home buried in a computer game than out doing drugs or who knows what. I as the parent still have the responsibility to kick his but out of the house once in a while and tell him to go do something useful. My kids are pretty good about it though. TV is another story my kids will sit an watch mindless cartoons, and I don't mind cartoons they have just gotten a lot more stupid since I was a kid, for hours and hours. They watch the same episodes over an over again. These don't teach my kids anything. I'd rather they were playing video games.

What issues have you run into since you've played the game? By issues, I mean glitches and exploits that people have taken advantage of.

I don't really pay much attention to them they exist are sometimes are a pain. Sometimes they get fixed and sometimes they linger. If you mean mostly things that distort the way the game was meant to be played by giving unfair advantage to a specific player I think Blizzard has done a really good job of limiting this possibility. I think they are relatively few and far between given the number of people playing the game. I would say Blizzard inadvertently causes more issues that people construe and unfair on their own than are caused by outside exploits. They usually fix them but it always a struggle to maintain a fair balance where one specific character type does not have an unfair advantage.

Explain a few of the gameplay mechanics in WoW. Keep in mind, neither the reader nor myself understand the game.

Thats actually a pretty huge topic in itself. It varies so much from individuals players style to the type of character the play. As simply put as possible you create a Lvl1 character of whatever type and begin qwesting and killing evil mobs that need killing in order to go up levels gain better items and equipment a grind your way to the highest lvl of 70 which is where the game actually begins. At least in most peoples minds. I actually took a little more time leveling than most so I could actually experience the game and most people probably do on their first character at least but after one they pretty much rush all the others to max level.

The game itself is played real time no turn based attacks. You Damager your opponent using your various skills either melee attacks with weapons ranged attacks with guns and bows or thrown items, Or Magical attacks with spells of all sorts depending on your character type. At the same time you do what ever you can to minimize the damage you take in order to survive the battle and stay alive. When you do fail and die you can either be resurrected by a party member(another player) who has that ability or become a spirit at the closes graveyard and run back to your body when you can be resurrected. Dying however takes a toll on your equipment in the damage done that has to be repaired for a price which varies based on the quality of your gear.
                The mechanics of each character type are going to vary quite a lot.

For group play you do the same thing but in tandem with with anywhere from 1-39 other players all working cooperatively to towards the same goal. I don't know if you have ever tried to get 40 people from all over the world to come together and work all towards the same end or not. Some people call this a mindless waste of time. I like to refer to it as Corporate Training. The people who lead these RAIDS as we call them are not just video game junkies they are proven leaders and if they can lead here they can lead anywhere. Same goes for those who lead the guilds.

Nothing really most of my extended family has never gotten into it as they do not like to pay a monthly fee so they play Guildwars which has no monthly fee. I think if any of them actually gave in and gave it a try they might change their mind but I don't really push them
                "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Amusement and amazement.
                  MMORPG games ("Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games") are notorious for requiring significant time investment to advance your character(s). WoW is no different. Most players need to find a workable solution that provides a balance point between success in game and real life demands. Some players (like some gamblers or hobbyists of almost any type) have a difficult time managing this balance. Others find that changing RL ("real life") demands like job requirements, school schedule or family situation (e.g. new children) all may bring a major shift in what is a workable balance.

First, it is officially against TG's values to exploit game mechanics unfairly. Second, WoW has very very few such glitches and even those are corrected pretty quickly. One of the positives about WoW is that it really doesn't offer "cheats" or illegal advantages.
                  The game is designed to be easy to learn but difficult to master. It offers classic RPG development starting with a low level character who has relatively simple tasks to perform (mostly of the kill Monsters of A type to collect Y objects). Gaining levels and skills is easier at the beginning and becomes progressively more difficult with time. As you progress, you have the option of acquiring better gear that improves in-game performance. The broad game design is around a very complex "rock/paper/scissors" concept that enables different character classes (e.g. armor wearing warriors and lightly armored damage casters and healers ) to work together to tackle tougher opponents than any single class could take on individually. There are many classes and races to choose from in creating a character with additional specialization through gaining and "spending" talent points as the character advances in levels. In addition, there are two factions (Alliance and Horde) that can be selected...remembering that Alliance and Horde are at a permanent state of war & competition. It is interesting to note that there is no difference in game performance between male and female characters (i.e. female warriors have identical stats to male warriors. There may be a small racial (dwarf vs human vs night elf) difference in the same class (e.g. warrior) but at higher levels, such differences are not at all significant.

I don't do anything. Blizzard seems to be doing a fine job without my help!
                  Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Well I didn't really react in any major odd weird way, I kinda just said wow. Now you also have to consider this; What percentage of that number are people trying to break the game and cause it harm (e.g. Gold Selling companies--Power Levelers--PVP Honor Grinding companies). Those 3 categories alone will I'd imagine single out over a million or MORE(I would SERIOUSLY lean toward the "More" part of that...) "Active" accounts. Now in all seriousness, this game does have a LOT of people playing it. But you also consider, even once you factor out a lot of those negatively-based active accounts, that doesn't mean there are that number of players. You have to consider how many people are paying for/using more than 1 account. I know people who have up to 4 accounts, and actually pay for all for and play all 4 on a normal bases. Why I don't know, I did have 2--and that worked out very nicely for myself, because I could use the 2 accounts, level 2 characters up at the same time by Dual-Boxing(Playing both accounts, simultaneously and completing quests for both at the same time)the accounts on one PC. Having more than that, there are few computers that could handle 3 accounts open at once, and few people who would be skillful enough to handle 2 accounts at one. I was fairly skilled with the Duo I used which was my Druid(Tanking) and my Paladin(Healing) and it was easy to just get a group of 5 people and run instances with me both tanking and healing with a simple click between the 2 running copies of WoW. Anything more than that, is almost guaranteed a waste of time and money to have more unless your buying or inheriting an account and wanted to use something off of it. There isn't enough time to seriously play more than 2-3 characters unless your soul objective was to like, hit 70--and sell the account maybe. --Alot of that is just bonus info that you may/may not be able to use for your paper.

Ohhhh yes. Let it be known that I know more than 4 people who just about LIVE for this game. It has cost 1 person their marriage, they have 5 kids with the person who divorced them. There is another who has played since it came out, and worked maybe 3 months during the entire time. There was myself who has over 250 days(yes ACTUAL LOGGED IN TIME) playing this game--And I know people with 2-3 times what I have. And it also cost a relative her marriage. That was a big part of why I quit, now myself I actually seriously had NOTHING better to do, I didn't like much TV--I didn't have many friends--and I didn't work through high school much, mostly because I didn't have means of transportation. I still did my chores, and still exercised regularly, aside from that I chose to play wow because...well thats where I had my friends and family. The Game Addiction people call it is very situational based from person to person. If a person is reserved and does not have many friends, they may feel they can open up and have a better friendly relationship through a video game--that was me. Others may have just ended a long relationship, a game can give them a place to escape their worries. Its a different world, one really doesn't think about other things if one USES it as a way to escape some of ones problems one might be facing. Another example which could be a sub-escape to their life if they have children and just wish they could get away for a few hours, but have enough self control over their priorities to just play for a couple hours or whatever, and still live a healthy life with their families. That is a big case in Tactical Gamer as I have seen. Its really nice to meet really good people in a "Fake" world, and develop a relationship with people you may never meet, just for emotional support or whatever the case may be. That was myself as well. I've run into being a lone in my life a lot due to a brother in prison, another in the middle of war in Iraq, and parents separation all going on simultaneously, which was another factor why I hid away in a game. I could talk there, people listened, even if it was only to just let me say what I needed to say so I could relieve pressure and stress.

To be very honest, one of the things that actually keeps players playing this game is it is VERY hard to exploit/cheat in this game--You are caught VERY easily if you do, most of which involves your account being permanently banned. Most people don't try it--and a lot of people, such as myself and probably all of Tactical Gamer, actually despise the thoughts and action of this. Blizzard keeps their game very clean and clear of bugs/glitches/possible exploits, its a big reason why they do have so many customers. Most of the time though, as of right now, a lot of people try to Exploit the Honor system in PVP. May it be by setting up a mechanical device to keep your character from going afk--bouncing in the spawn point/tunnel of a Battleground.

Anti-AFK AV<---click me

Now I actually thought this was hilarious, though it kills the fun of pvp for others and I disagree with it because if more than one person is doing that--your pvp side is going up against a lot of other people, and you have a full pvp match of 15 vs 15 or 40 vs 40--but maybe 5-15 are afk, that makes a big difference...

Explain a few of the game play mechanics in WoW. Keep in mind, neither the reader nor myself understand the game.
                    Well as I stated a little bit of stuff earlier, and Beep and Quarath cleared up how leveling works with talents etc. I will focus more into what you do at the peak of the game, but here is also a little bit of different information.The game play is entirely what a person wants to do really. You start out by choosing what you want to do, out of the 8 classes you have. Do you want to Do damage? Heal? Both? Be a damage class by use of Melee? Ranged attacks? Spells? From there you pick your class from one of the 8: Paladin, Shaman, Druid, Priest, Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Warlock. Every class is VERY different, and very unique in its own way. Every class also has its own "Perks" to it. You pick a class, and start questing. As Quarath said, the first time through, and on the character you choose to put your time in to, you mostly just casually level reading through your quests to get the background information on the game. It is actually quite interesting if you've read any of the books, I've read all of the ones that are printed and its a very good series in my opinion. Most of those who play this game, we obviously share some same interests, would probably tell you the same thing IF they were to take the time to read them. Anyways your goal is to hit level 70 in the end, and as Orion also said, This is where the real game begins and gets fun :). This is when you start running instances to get specific gear to better your class and give yourself advantage and strengths. Once you have a nice set built, you move on to tackle harder content. What you can do with your character is all based upon a couple of things. How much time do you/will you dedicate to a game? And how skillful are you with your class and role? Skill is greater than gear many times over--its proven based on numbers and reports really(As an average and over time looking at these reports). Pre level 70, yes you can do 5 mans and others, but it really isn't too necessary to simply because your going to hit 60 sooner or later, and then the game changes DRASTICALLY! The change they did from Pre-BC (Before the Burning Crusade Expantion) to Post-BC is a significant increase in stats on gear. The best gear in the game Pre-BC was replaced by greens and blues for most by level 65, I would say 68 tops(And thats giving a lot of leeway).

Once you hit 70 you start hitting the 5 man dungeons(Also known as instances--a Portal that takes you and your party into a specific code/time of the game, which no one else can enter unless they are in the party/raid). Once you have obtained the best gear from these you move into the first 10 man instance, thus begging the "End Game" content. Once you conquer that you move into the first stage of 25 man instances. There are stages based on "Tiers" of gear. A Tier, is just a name given as a "Quality" for that gear. Tier 4 gear(A 5 piece set of gear) is obtained through 3 instances. Two pieces in Kharazan. Two in Gruu'ls Lair, and one in Magtheridon's Lair. Once you and your parties have conquered these, and your entire party is "geared up" with loot(Item drops) from these zones, your ready to move on to the Second Stage of 25 mans, and the next 10 man instance All 5 pieces of Tier 5 come from Serpentshine Cavern and Tempest Keep. SSC has 6 bosses to tackle, and TK has 4. These instance take very good cordination and teamwork to tackle. This is the point of the game that the "Main" 25 man raid, Resurgent, is in the midst of on our Server. Tactical Gamer has 5/6 bosses in SSC and moving into TK now to get 3/4, but are currently at 0/4. The last bosses in these instances take a LOT of teamwork to conquer, this is why they are moving in to the other to get the loot from the first 3 out of TK on the raid members to better prepare themselves for the last bosses. After they conquer the Lady Vashj(Last boss in SSC) and Kael'Thas Sunstrider(Last boss in TK) a few times, they will probably move into the Final stage as far as "End Game" content goes in this game. The final Stage has Tier 6, this is the top of the line gear, best stuff in the game, and truly takes a tremendous amount of teamwork and cooperation from EVERY person in the raid to have success in these fights. It all takes practice, and time. Very soon they are Releasing a new series/set of dungeons that will be 5, 10, and 25 man instances known as "The Sunwell". I believe the 25 man will hold Tier 7, there may be different instances to adventure into to obtain it. All of which I have explained has been the PvE aspect to the game, trying to defeat the opponents that blizzard has brought to you to tackle!

In pvp(You vs. someone in the world, or a lot of someones) things change drastically! Everything is situational based and everything changes as soon as you factor 1 extra or 1 less person into a situation. Although it really doesn't matter, but a lot of people say that certain classes are over powered. That may be true--but its also situation based. If someone is poorly skilled yet has extremely nice gear, a person with decent gear may defeat that opponent quite easily. Everything is skill/gear based really. Simply Put. Thats it. End of Story. There could be endless...and I mean endless arguments of who says X class/person is OP'd(Overpowered) when its all really based on those things. Anywho...Some people don't like dedicating time to the PvE aspect and simply wish to show their skills off and how they use their class Vs. someone else. You can do 2 kinds of PVP; Arena or Battlegrounds. Now as I stated before, EVERYTHING changes when you factor in 1 or more extra persons vs X amount of people. Arena teams are set up in categories of 2v2 3v3 and 5v5. These are probably the hardest and best places to test skill, because there is no running and hiding, there is no resurrection, and there are so many different things that can play a cause/factor to a different outcome. you could take 10 people--with up to the 8 classes, that they are very skillful and knowledgeable about, and give them the same class, with different speccs(Talent builds)each fight, the outcome will be different EVERY time--now the same team might win, but what happens and what is going to happen is going to change. Thats how those 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 Arenas work. Now the Battle grounds are a bit different, they actually have objectives opposed to just obliterate your opponent. Warsong Gultch is just a Capture the flag Battleground, it is 10v10. Arathi Basin is to Hold as many bases as you can(5 Total) for as long as possible, to score points. You get X amount of points per 5 seconds, depending on how many Bases you have, it is a 15v15. Alterac Valley is the largest battleground pvp setup there is. It is 40v40 people, your objective is to take over towers and huts reducing your opponents forces(Random pvp mobs/npcs to fight) and take out his General in the end. These matches can last anywhere from 2 minutes, to an 60+ Minutes. That is why I said it is entirely Situational based. Arena pvp Grants Arena points which can be used to buy a pvp "Tier" based gear. They are better known as Season #, S for short. for example S.1 was recently turned into Honor points in order to purchase this 5 peice set. Honor points are Granted from Warsong/AB/AV pvp battlegrounds. More honor is awarded in the Arenas/pvps for the more people involved (E.g. a 5v5 grants more honor than a 2v2--40v40 is more than 10v10) The S1 is now Honor based. Season 2 is Arena points which can be purchased as your teams score moves up. Basically Honor is granted(or will be next patch) instantly based on what the game calculates X person for being worth, so you kill them, you get X amount of honor. It all adds up, and there are different ways of getting honor, but thats the gist of it. Arena teams are a win/lose system. If you win 3 matches, and lose 7 your teams score(Starts at 1500 when you create it) will go down a good bit. But if you win9/10 matches, your going to go up a really good bit. You can more or less determine how skilled/geared you are doing depending on your teams overall score. I think 2600 is the best scores possible, those teams that push 2400+ are teams that Rarely lose. The ones that have 1300 ish are obviously almost the opposite. Sometimes you have bad luck, sometimes its cause your opponents gear was better than yours. Every time you reach a new score category, your arena team gets put into a new bracket(E.g. if your starting out, and you win your first 7/10 matches, your probably going to go from 1500's to 1600's) The brackets more or less tell you the kind of skill your going up against. 1600's are about normal. 1700's are pretty skilled, it goes up from there. If your team is ranked in these 2400's ish, these matches last a good while usually, and you have a heck of a fight to deal with. Anyways the higher score you have, the more Arena points you make per 7 days. Its more time consuming than regular pvp for trying to up your score, and takes more time to update as I said it takes a week. S1 is now Honor Based, the 5 set pieces cost a total of 65,250 honor, that is not including weapons and other things you can get with these points. If you pvp all day, and I mean all day, you can LIKELY pull off about 12,000 honor, but like i said thats probably 16+ hours of pvp. The average might get 5k a day. S2 Arena gear is Arena points based, and the 5 set pieces cost a total of 7172 Points, thats not including weapons+. S.3 costs a total of 8250 Arena points, and that is not including weapons+. The Season 3 Weapons require at least an 1850 personal rating(Your rating can be viewed under your teams stats). The Shoulders out of the set require at least 2,000 Rating. In order to get points for the week, you have to play at least 30% of the total games played on your team. (e.g. your team plays 15 games, you need at least 5 games played of those 15)

The average 1600-1700 score arena team will earn (as a 5v5) probably 700ish points in a week, as you scale down to 3v3 and 2v2 its a lot less...so these things take a LOT of time to get unless your team is really skillful. The weapons and others things costs a crapton more than these other individual prices, most of which are 2-3x the price of 1 armor peice.

I agree with Beep on this, I don't try to cause I think Blizzard does just fine on their own, however, I would hate to see that I brought someone in and it completely changes their life and what they do, thats why I don't try....

Sorry if I stated something that someone else said, or said something twice, I went back and relocated some things to try and make it flow as easily as possible for you

I hope this all helps, sorry for giving you so much to read :) Now you have a good idea of just how this game works, and like before, I wish for my name to remain "Ghost from Tactical Gamer" and nothing more if your going to quote me :)
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by orion808; 02-19-2008, 10:34 PM. Reason: spacing...
                    Doomkin...Tree...or Bear. If your not the above, your not cool! *Note* Alts don't count....

Comment

Ghost, you ass. Eight classes? "From there you pick your class from one of the 8: Paladin, Shaman, Druid, Priest, Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Warlock." Oh really? I'm hurt...
                      Ninja

Comment

oops :( I seriously meant 9 and rogue :) lol

ROGUE

ROGUE

ROGUE

ROGUE

I guess I left rogues off cause they are OP'd in PvE/PVP!!!! lol j/p
                        Last edited by Gaiaghost07; 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: Reason for not putting rogue....lol

Comment

You left rogues out because you can't see them... sneaky bastards.
                          Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                          Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                          ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

I actually may have asked more questions than I needed too, but no matter. I learned more about the game. The paper's looking a lot more polished now, so all I need is to do successfully do is to wrap it up. I'm gonna want a few more quotes, so here's (possibly) the last batch of follow up questions.

What do you do to try to get more people to join TG?

What's in the future for the WoW community at TG?
                            sigpic

Comment

When considering the question of game addiction, you should compare WoW to FPS games like Battlefield, and to real life time sinks like community sports (including bowling or darts at the pub).

MMO's tend to require more time commitment than a FPS, but not significantly more than a sport. With a sport, you have to show up regularly, on time, and may be called on to travel to play a game. You have to invest in your gear for a sport, so you should deduct the work time it took to pay for your equipment and other costs as "unproductive time". (Under the presumption that playing games is unproductive.)

I also recommend reading Linus Torvald's "Just for Fun", where he proposes that pursuit of entertainment is the 3rd phase of human social development, after pursuit of survival and pursuit of social standing. Those who denigrate gaming are likely stuck in one of the earlier phases.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X