Tech Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Help Needed

Hey all haven't been around of late due to my new job, but also i bought myself a very very nice new system for WOW but i can't seem to get wow working on it.

System Is:
    Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4GHz
    Nvidia 8800GT
    8GB DDR2
    2TB HDD

and because of all the hype and great things i heard i even bought myself Vista Ultimate 64Bit.

I keep gettting an error saying WOW can't find a suitable display device and it shuts down. Anyone found this issue and fixed it? anyone using 64bit vista offer some ideas what i am doing wrong?

soon as i can get this sorted i should be back in the ring
    FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Re: Tech Help Needed

Originally posted by Delg View Post
    Hey all haven't been around of late due to my new job, but also i bought myself a very very nice new system for WOW but i can't seem to get wow working on it.

System Is:
    Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4GHz
    Nvidia 8800GT
    8GB DDR2
    2TB HDD

and because of all the hype and great things i heard i even bought myself Vista Ultimate 64Bit.

I keep gettting an error saying WOW can't find a suitable display device and it shuts down. Anyone found this issue and fixed it? anyone using 64bit vista offer some ideas what i am doing wrong?

soon as i can get this sorted i should be back in the ring
    I had WoW running flawlessly on a Vista-64 Ultimate install with my 8800GTS, so don't despair, it does work :)

Sounds like a driver issue though...do you have the up-to-date nvidia drivers for your 8800 installed?

Comment

I had that problem with WoW and Diablo 2 when I reformatted my old computer, it IS the drivers. (at least that's what fixed it for me). If you open your Device Manager in Control Panel you should find the Nvidia Device under the display bullet. Just R-Click and select "Update Drivers" (or something close to that) and it 'SHOULD' do the work for you. If it can't do it itself, try going to the Nvidia Website and download and install manually, but BE CAREFUL and make absolutely sure you get the right drivers or you will have another nightmare problem.

If all that fails, send me your computer and I'll send you mine! =P

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

Yeah, just a note... the drivers supplied via "Windows Update" are, in my experience, usually not up to date. With the 8800 being quite new, you want to make sure you get the latest directly from nvidia (or your card manufacturer)

If you go to this page: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us there is a button to press that will automagically tell you if you need to upgrade your drivers.

Or else you can go directly here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...9.25_whql.html

and download the latest and greatest.

Comment

You're probably right, I had problems with that in XP, but so far it's been very accurate in Vista. Though I've only update 2 devices.

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

That is just it, I do have the latest drivers.. wierd thing is.. When i was instaling, and doing updates i never got the error, then after the last update it popped up. I might try re-installing everything again
            FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Delg View Post
              That is just it, I do have the latest drivers.. wierd thing is.. When i was instaling, and doing updates i never got the error, then after the last update it popped up. I might try re-installing everything again
              Unistall the drivers...reboot...install the new ones.

Hopefully it works :)

Cutting edge hardware is always a pain in the ass :D

Comment

PLEASE OMG AL:SO NOTE, WOW can run max settings on a system half that size! LOL i'm jealous and sad...poor system will never be used to full performance :D lol

definantly need the nvidia drivers from their page
                Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
                Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Got it working finally. Thanx for the help. The drivers from the card manufacturer had 5 unsigned driver files that vista 64 refused to run (will not use unsigned drivers) and as such was not working properly. I got the generic nvidia drivers from the nvidia site and it worked fine.
                  FOR THE DICKENS!!!

Comment

Requiring signed drivers is my biggest gripe about Vista.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      Requiring signed drivers is my biggest gripe about Vista.
                      I hear ya :(

Besides slowing down development and release of commercial drivers (which must be hellish when releasing cutting edge hardware), it's mostly another attempt to create a barrier for open source software on the windows platform.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X