Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: How did TG choose what server/type to play on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: How did TG choose what server/type to play on?

So over in the AoC forums, we're discussing how to set up the TG guild with respect to server type. Specifically, are we going to be PvE or PvP? The current decision is to make two guilds, letting the players split how they desire.

I'm curious as to how the TG WoW guild decided on things? How did you handle the decision, especially with players that were die-hard for their end of the spectrum (absolutely wanting either a PvP or PvE server)?
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Question: How did TG choose what server/type to play on?

I don't really think we had the prep-time that AoC does. We only had a couple TG members playing at the time of the guild's start. We had other people join the ranks quickly. I don't think many took the guild seriously at the start and just saw the game as "cool" and didn't realize it was so addictive.

I personally joined the guild a couple months after it's creation. I had played with Luna/Beep/Bear/Apophis and others in the FPS games here at TG. They got me interested and I created toons on their server.

Comment

Luna is probably the best person to answer this. I "avoided" WoW for several months and joined the server (and guild) 3 or 4 months after the founding group.

EDITED: And...if it makes any difference...if TG's guild was PVP oriented, I'd be playing a different game.
      Last edited by beep; 05-15-2008, 09:10 AM.
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I'm on a team that has a strong presence on a PvP server. (Not TG, of course, although I dipped my toes in the TG guild.) I finally had to give it up as too frustrating, as I hated the ganking on a PvP server. I now play on a couple of PvE servers. OTOH, there were members who left because WoW's PvP was insufficient for them.

The PvP guild is Alliance. At one point several of us saw a new PvE realm open and decided to go start a Horde guild. There's just a couple of us left who play there regularly, but I find it much more fun than the PvP guild, plus I get to see the other half of the game, from the other faction's perspective.

(I had a great moment a couple nights ago when I first got to Outland on Horde side. As one steps through the Dark Portal, one meets an orc General in charge of sending recruits to the front. He's talking to another NPC, an undead priest healer. The healer is briefing him on the wounded. "They're in pretty bad shape, General." Retorts the General, "Well, do the best you can for them. And whatever you do, don't eat ANYONE!")
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I started this game out on a PvP horde server. Soon as the expansion came out I switched to this one (thank god). It's not that PvP isn't a fun option, but when presented with open PvP people always seem to resort to ganking and mismatched battles. From what I've heard, the PvP server in AoC is open rules FFA, so some lvl 1 could be starting out and a high level can just come and get him. With the kind of setup AoC has with PVP areas I think picking a PvE server would present you with many more options. When you're trying to get a group together or trying to get some questing done during the day you just don't have the time or desire to have to watch your back every second.

Comment

Well, thanks for the responses so far guys, but I already know the drawbacks and bonuses of each server type. :P I'm more looking for how the WoW players that started the TG guild decided which type of server they played on, and the effects thereof.
            [squadl]

Comment

Here's how it happened, Tarpan.

Apophis and I got the game way back in the day. He set up his account and the recommended server was Thunderhorn. Thus, I made my account there, and Tactical Gamer, the guild, was born.

Not as exciting as you hoped, in all likelihood. However, the game was so new at the time and we were so new to the game that there really wasn't any major choice involved. There was no hardcore end game-focused element at that point to contend with, as so few people had maxed out their level that the concept of high level cohesion was still in its infancy.

If there's anything else I can answer, let me know! Happy to help out, particularly in terms of getting the guild off to a solid start.

Comment

Ah, okay, thanks. So it seems it was more of a, "Apophis and I are here already, come join us," thing rather than TG deciding pre-gameplay on where to go. Not too much help with the AoC angle, but now I know. :P
                [squadl]

Comment

That's correct! The game had only been out for a month or so before we started playing, so there was very little forethought into what the appropriate server would be. In truth, I'm often surprised that we've lasted this long on the same type of server, nevermind still maintaining a functioning guild after this much time. **knock on wood**

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X