Something interesting for those concerned about security for their account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something interesting for those concerned about security for their account

Hey guys, I as surfing around some paladin blogs when they started talking about a security dongle that will add another layer of protection. It seems cheap ($6.50), it's from blizzard itself, and it seems as though the premise is solid. The only downside: it only ships to the states :(

Here's the FAQ about it on Blizz's sight, I believe it's linked from there to the actual purchase page.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...660&rhtml=true

Aestryd 80 Prot Pally / Epimetheus 70 Feral Druid / Yuusei 74 Enhancement Shaman
    Camsmule 70 Fury/Prot Warrior / Tamrissa 70 Affliction Warlock / Aegyn 70 Holy Priest
    Shyff 70 Arcane Mage / Indrus 62 Combat Rogue

Re: Something interesting for those concerned about security for their account

The device is very similar to those used when logging into corporate VPNs. You still have to enter your username and password. This adds an additional independent code you have to enter. The code is different each time you enter it, and dependent on a number you never enter, so it can't be guessed. Someone who keylogs your password won't be able to log in because they don't have this little code generator.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The concept is called "two factor authentication".

The purpose is to require two different methods of authenticating a user from two different resources. In this case, something you "have" (being the token that displays a unique ID every 30 seconds that only the token and the authentication server know), and something you "know" (being your password). Your PIN # and ATM card use essentially the same methodology with the card being what you "have" and your PIN being what you "know".

I use two-factor authentication for logging into my PC at work, logging into the primary infrastructure server for TG, and also for logging into PayPal.

I would HIGHLY recommend spending the $7 and getting the Blizzard token. With the number of account thefts on the rise, I would really hate to see anyone else lose all their stuff.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Direct link:
        http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000182

Currently sold out.
        sigpic

Comment

Hrmmm...

9 million + accounts registered (Who cares about the ones they are banning, those same number if not more are being re-made the same day)

thats (average it at I'd say $13 per month per account) only $117,000,000 a month and then only $1.4 Billion dollars a year, Now they've made their money back 1,000 fold I'm sure since launch, and say those numbers don't change much--or drop by a couple million accounts, that still leaves--Gas-like-robberies in profit...

This should be provided for free to anyone who keeps their accounts active for I'd say 3 Months or more and holds it active further...or just everyone, problem solved, slightly less profit for them. Especially since that was factoring WoW profits only...
          Doomkin...Tree...or Bear. If your not the above, your not cool! *Note* Alts don't count....

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            The purpose is to require two different methods of authenticating a user from two different resources. In this case, something you "have" (being the token that displays a unique ID every 30 seconds that only the token and the authentication server know), and something you "know" (being your password). Your PIN # and ATM card use essentially the same methodology with the card being what you "have" and your PIN being what you "know".
            But isn't the PIN recorded on the ATM card? Someone with a card reader can take one's account, by simply getting "what you have". It would be like writing your account name and password on the back of the Blizzard dongle and then having it stolen.

Of course, the dongle does address the issue of virtual theft (ie. keyloggers) since it raises the bar for the thieves several orders of magnitude to requiring physical theft of the device.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              But isn't the PIN recorded on the ATM card? Someone with a card reader can take one's account, by simply getting "what you have". It would be like writing your account name and password on the back of the Blizzard dongle and then having it stolen.

Of course, the dongle does address the issue of virtual theft (ie. keyloggers) since it raises the bar for the thieves several orders of magnitude to requiring physical theft of the device.
              The PIN *MAY* be stored on the card in encrypted form, but it is not common. Your PIN is normally stored by your issuing bank and not on the card itself.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X