WoW players and forums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW players and forums

I've noticed that the WoW forum here is a lot more quiet than the sections for other games. Is it just that there are far fewer WoW players, or is there something about WoW that makes it incompatible with forum participation? It's not just TG. It does seem to be the case in other guilds I'm in, as well.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: WoW players and forums

Three reasons (in my mind): the nature of MMORPGs, the nature of TG's WoW guild, and the upcoming expansion.

We already spend hours each day in game where we chat with each other during idle time that is present in all MMORPGs.

TG's WoW guild being broken into squads/platoons means that at the guild level, there's not much left to talk about. The guild has many goals being followed by many groups, unlike "hardcore" raiding guilds where everyone in the guild is focused on the same thing. We're all at different points in raid content, character development, PVP, etc, so there's not much we can talk about that everyone in the guild can comment on.

Much of the focus in WoW is now on the next expansion, which leads to "downtime" in the current game as people prepare for "gear resets" and changes in raid size.

Comment

But what I don't see is the hardcore technical discussions that I see with other games. The one place where I do see that is in the alt.games.warcraft newsgroup, but newsgroup denizens self-select that way.

I guess another issue is that downtime in other games doesn't allow you to chat while you wait for a map to load. But you can chat while you wait to respawn. And in Counter-Strike there's a substantial amount of that because of the way the respawn system makes you wait for the end of the round once you die.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Go check out the squad and platoon forums. Overall, that's where you'll see the most technical conversation. The Tactics and Strategy forum is also a great place for theorycrafting.

Comment

kinda wondering what you mean by "hardcore technical discussion". if you mean theorycrafting and whatnot, I go to several other forums for that kind of stuff as it would seem to me that the vast majority here don't really care enough about to take part. We have a bit in the T&S forum, but from what I see there is less discussion, and more acceptance.

Aestryd 80 Prot Pally / Epimetheus 70 Feral Druid / Yuusei 74 Enhancement Shaman
          Camsmule 70 Fury/Prot Warrior / Tamrissa 70 Affliction Warlock / Aegyn 70 Holy Priest
          Shyff 70 Arcane Mage / Indrus 62 Combat Rogue

Comment

Less acceptance and more information sharing too actually. We don't have many hardcore theorycrafters here in TG simply because of the nature of TG. We're just too laid back in general. Granted, we do have a hardcore team going deeper into raiding content, but as a whole we're rather lax about min-max statistics.

Besides, there are larger, more renouned forums for theorycrafters like elitestjerks and why have other people come here to do it or try to muddle through it ourselves when we can go there and watch and learn from people with more experienced in it.
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Perhaps the question should be flipped on its head, then: Why do the BF guys love to talk about their game so much here, when there are so many perfectly good BF forums, including many highly technical ones?

I've noticed this same thing in the MatureAsskickers forums (much smaller than TG), where the relative populations of the two games are comparable in size.

It's not just the theory crafting, though. It's also the sharing of links. (I tend to share a lot of links back and forth between TG and MA.) As you say, WoW is a very social game, but when I've been playing BF with TG it often gets quite social on TS or in a squad channel.

I was going to suggest that perhaps it's PvP versus PvE personalities, but MA's WoW group is largely PvP and yet shies away from forum participation as well.

Comment

I always felt that there was quite a bit of forum posting here. However, theorycrafting for WoW is so developed that its more efficient for us to go read very in-depth stuff over at elitistjerks or whatever class forum is applicable to our main (and possibly our alts). Personally I've never posted shadowpriest theorycrafting here because its easier to tell leveling shadowpriests to go checkout shadowpriest.com for more analysis than they can shake a stick at. That's where I go to learn about how X buff/nerf is going to affect me or which gear item is better.

I know there are many of us that discuss this type of thing ad-nauseam on teamspeak from time to time. I think most of those questions are asked directly on TS or even in game. Some discussion happens and if someone wants to get more details they are directed to something like elitistjerks.

For quests and farming its pretty unnecessary to worry about too much detail. Blizz makes it pretty easy by giving you one or two spells/abilities at level 1 and then adding more things as you get familiarized with a class. Certain raid encounters require a tactical approach and are often covered in strat posts (see the resurgent forum here for many of these fine examples).

I've never played BF or read any forums related to it so perhaps I'm not able to compare the two but from my perspective I don't think the information here is lacking.
                Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Perhaps the issue is that TG's WoW group doesn't have that many beginners, so there's not much talk about the basics, and the advanced stuff is, as you say, already covered in depth in other forums.

I've only recently gotten a character to 70, but have a ton of toons at various stages of leveling. (Altoholic is a godsend!) Even now, I kind of dread raiding, as I've always been fascinated with the economics game, with the AH and crafting. So getting to 70 hasn't really been important to me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X