Deathknight Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathknight Impressions

So, a great friend of mine who shall remain nameless for fear of causing trouble for him, allowed me to play on his Beta account on Saturday and I figured I would put out my impressions for those who cared.

First off, the initial quest line is something that should be savored, it is probably my favorite quest line ever in WoW and I highly recommend you take the time to read through it and enjoy the lore, because it really does set up what is going to take place in Northrend and explains why DKs are back with the Horde and Alliance. Plus you get your first taste of vehicles, and the shear amount of screaming makes the evil heart smile :).

I was very pleased with how well the class flowed. The abilities are strong, and I found myself having to closely watch my Runic Power because I would forget about it while keeping up diseases and trying to use my runes so it would fill up fast. I heavy blood to start because I wanted to health regen for leveling, and I was very pleased with that choice. The class feels kind of like a rogue and a warrior combined with having to manage a renewing source of energy(Runes) and an growing source of rage (Runic Power).

Here is my build atm: 45/3/3

My Death Coils hit for between 300-500 base and 900-1000 crit. Icy Touch ranges from 200-400 with about 500ish on crit. White Damage is significant at this point, but should become less of my damage as time goes on. I was averaging about 350-400 DPS at level 60 on single targets. With the health regeneration abilities I rarely stopped fighting, and usually would pull 3-4 things at once and AE them down. When I was AEing I was averaging about 450-500 DPS.

Speaking of leveling, I am amazed at the difference in XP to level. I leveled from 55-61 in roughly 8 hours and spent about 2.5 hours going from 60 to 61. I wouldn't hesitate to guess that I could probably be 70 in the first weekend of play with enough focus, and I know there are a lot better levelers than me.

In addition to the newbie DK, I also messed with a level 80 premade DK. My biggest issue here was that all the premades go on the PVP realm and as such they are geared for Resilience and not for heavy DPS/Tanking. With that, I ran a tanking frost build to test things out, and I have to say you end up with A LOT of stuff to watch. Between runes, runic power, and all your tanking cooldowns, there is a lot to do, and the class will definitely keep people busy. My frost spec wasn't as good as I would have liked, but I think a lot of that is due to the PVP gear, but I was averaging about 1200 DPS as a tank, which doesn't seem too bad, but definitely would be better when geared appropriately.

All in all, the class looks like it is going to be great, I am really looking forward to playing it on live.

I will be happy to answer any questions I can based on my 1 day of experience. I know a couple other people are in beta and may have other experiences with higher end stuff they can offer.

When I get some more free time, I will be testing some other builds to see how they do.

Hope somebody finds use from this.
    Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Re: Deathknight Impressions

Originally posted by Sajier View Post
    So, a great friend of mine who shall remain nameless for fear of causing trouble for him, allowed me to play on his Beta account on Saturday and I figured I would put out my impressions for those who cared.

First off, the initial quest line is something that should be savored, it is probably my favorite quest line ever in WoW and I highly recommend you take the time to read through it and enjoy the lore, because it really does set up what is going to take place in Northrend and explains why DKs are back with the Horde and Alliance. Plus you get your first taste of vehicles, and the shear amount of screaming makes the evil heart smile :).

I was very pleased with how well the class flowed. The abilities are strong, and I found myself having to closely watch my Runic Power because I would forget about it while keeping up diseases and trying to use my runes so it would fill up fast. I heavy blood to start because I wanted to health regen for leveling, and I was very pleased with that choice. The class feels kind of like a rogue and a warrior combined with having to manage a renewing source of energy(Runes) and an growing source of rage (Runic Power).

Here is my build atm: 45/3/3

My Death Coils hit for between 300-500 base and 900-1000 crit. Icy Touch ranges from 200-400 with about 500ish on crit. White Damage is significant at this point, but should become less of my damage as time goes on. I was averaging about 350-400 DPS at level 60 on single targets. With the health regeneration abilities I rarely stopped fighting, and usually would pull 3-4 things at once and AE them down. When I was AEing I was averaging about 450-500 DPS.

Speaking of leveling, I am amazed at the difference in XP to level. I leveled from 55-61 in roughly 8 hours and spent about 2.5 hours going from 60 to 61. I wouldn't hesitate to guess that I could probably be 70 in the first weekend of play with enough focus, and I know there are a lot better levelers than me.

In addition to the newbie DK, I also messed with a level 80 premade DK. My biggest issue here was that all the premades go on the PVP realm and as such they are geared for Resilience and not for heavy DPS/Tanking. With that, I ran a tanking frost build to test things out, and I have to say you end up with A LOT of stuff to watch. Between runes, runic power, and all your tanking cooldowns, there is a lot to do, and the class will definitely keep people busy. My frost spec wasn't as good as I would have liked, but I think a lot of that is due to the PVP gear, but I was averaging about 1200 DPS as a tank, which doesn't seem too bad, but definitely would be better when geared appropriately.

All in all, the class looks like it is going to be great, I am really looking forward to playing it on live.

I will be happy to answer any questions I can based on my 1 day of experience. I know a couple other people are in beta and may have other experiences with higher end stuff they can offer.

When I get some more free time, I will be testing some other builds to see how they do.

Hope somebody finds use from this.
    Tempting!!!!:)
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Thanks for the info Sajier. Any thoughts on which spec is more fun to play Blood or Unholy?
      "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

Unholy is going to be my next test spec. Blood definitely feels good while leveling, but I want to try out the ghoul as a pet and the AE+Weapon based damage.

I will post more once I have more time to play.

| | |

Comment

i have played an unholy DK and they are pretty sick. I haven't tried any other specs due to the fact that i just love unholy but it is pretty awesome
          Live Hard. Die Free
          Zenga - 80 Enhancement Shaman
          Garra - 70 31/30/0 Warrior

Comment

I played a bit with Unholy last night after the patch which reset the talents. I saw a significant DPS increase (25%) but saw my incoming damage increase a great deal as well, which I expected since I lost my health regen abilities in blood.

The ghoul is pretty fun to have as a pet (leap is great, plus making him explode is just funny:)) and he puts out significant DPS.

Here is my current Unholy build: 7/3/42

Just as a comparison:
            Total Deaths from 55-61 (normally fighting 2-3 mobs 1-2 levels higher than me): 1
            Total Deaths Last Night (while fighting 3-4 same level mobs): 4

Blood Rotation:
            IT, PS, BS, BS, OBL, DC (Heart Strike Currently does less damage than Blood Strike, which is just wrong)

Unholy Rotation
            IT, PS, Pest, BB, SS, DC, SS, DC, Pest, BB

I am going to play with this build a bit longer, but then I want to test out the changes to frost from last night. IT for 2k sounds great :).

| | |

Comment

Ok, I have messed around with Frost in my free time the last few days and it feels really solid now. The change to Icy Touch has made it a solid DPS boost and the DPS runs just under blood and unholy. However, I take less damage in Frost than I do in Unholy due to the mitigation talents along the way. On multipulls I can easily hold 3-4 and the emergency buttons add a significant life saving ability. Frost definitely feels like it can be a solid leveling build now.

| | |

Comment

I leveled up to 73 as Blood. It got pelted by a few nerf darts here and there. It was by far the most used spec (when I leveled there was a bug that started in the late 60's that made all players who used blood worms turn green all the time) as evidenced by the green DK's running around. In my past experience with specs in WoW, I know that the most popular spec gets nerfed, so I put together my own, fairly heavy in Unholy. I don't miss blood one bit at all.

Now, I do take more damage, but I think your problem Sajier is the lack of points strictly based on your level. There's decent foundation there.

My spec actually turns out to be fairly close to an Unholy DK Tank, though I rarely take the time out to try and tank. But this leads to an important idea behind DK's. If the tank goes down, it's really easy to get the target on you. Who is much less squishy than the casters in the background. If I were more adventurous, I'd probably try tanking outright, but I'm not so I don't.

At 80, I've found a whole lot of nothing to do. 50% of the queues are DKs, so you don't find groups that way. PUGs (Pick-Up-Guilds) don't do anything because they can't get through the 70's for some reason. Daily quests are still boring. But that can change with release because not everyone will be 'testing' the class instead of playing their own.

I think that frost is the least played spec of them all. I tried it for about 30 minutes and thought to myself, wth? I might try it again, in an instance environment, if I manage to find a group.
                RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X