The Frame rate of real life.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frame rate of real life.

So, my friends and I were reading about various things on the internet (wiki) and we found interest in multi-dimensional universes. The Fourth dimension is the connecting points between the instances of the third dimension. So if you can imagine,the zero dimension is a single point. the first dimension is a single line (connecting the points), and the second dimension is a flat shape (connecting the lines with other lines), the third dimension is the connections of the flat shapes. so at this point the zero dimensions have 3 other zero dimensions connected to it. The fourth dimension is the further connection between these objects. . . so all the zero dimensions have 4 connections (x-axis, y-axis, z-axis, and time connecting the objects in 3 dimensional space). This blew our minds so we decided to find the length of time, or the FPS of real life. after A LOT of research (wiki) we found that Planck time is the smallest unit of measurement for time, measuring the time it takes a photon to travel a Planck length, which is the smallest unit of measure found in nature.

So the frame rate of REAL LIFE is 1.855094832e+43 FPS.

so basically a photon can travel across 1.855094832e+43 Planck lengths in 1 second.
    Do or do not, there is no try. . . - Yoda

Re: The Frame rate of real life.

I helped with the research!
    This is where I write words.

Comment

ok...funny...odd...and um, too much free time. (Oddly enough, I totally understood all of that.)

Comment

I say we overclock that sucker!
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Unfortunately, the basic premise of this reasoning is erroneous. Plank length, or Plank units of measurement, are used in science because they are "natural" units of measurement, free from human connotations. This is because it's defined in terms of fundamental physical constants rather than human experiences (such as the way "day" is defined). One common misconception is that since 1 Plank length is the smallest whole number unit of "natural" measurement, it must be the smallest physical length between any two things. That is a fallacious inference.

The point of natural units of measurement are to simplify equations in science. The point isn't to define a unit of measurement such that one unit of it is the smallest physical quantity possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            Unfortunately, the basic premise of this reasoning is erroneous. Plank length, or Plank units of measurement, are used in science because they are "natural" units of measurement, free from human connotations. This is because it's defined in terms of fundamental physical constants rather than human experiences (such as the way "day" is defined). One common misconception is that since 1 Plank length is the smallest whole number unit of "natural" measurement, it must be the smallest physical length between any two things. That is a fallacious inference.

The point of natural units of measurement are to simplify equations in science. The point isn't to define a unit of measurement such that one unit of it is the smallest physical quantity possible.
            Give the kids a break. Not everyone in this universe is perfect.

Good job Flappy and Superwacker and a nice lengthy research post too, even though I didn't get all of that.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you didn't understand what they said, why are you defending what was said? I ain't attacking them personally. I'm just pointing out a common flaw and misunderstanding in their reasoning. I'm pointing out a reason that they shouldn't believe the findings they came to during their research. You should distinguish an argument from a personal attack Acreo.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                Plank length, or Plank units of measurement, are used in science because they are "natural" units of measurement, free from human connotations. This is because it's defined in terms of fundamental physical constants rather than human experiences (such as the way "day" is defined). One common misconception is that since 1 Plank length is the smallest whole number unit of "natural" measurement, it must be the smallest physical length between any two things. That is a fallacious inference.
                I agree that any attempt to define the smallest unit of measurement is impossible. We're stating the rate at which "instances" or "frames" pass by in the universe (well, actually it's the inverse, since we're stating how many instances occur in a second for a FPS value). In the same manner that technology improves and FPS increases with hardware, so will the stated FPS of the universe when humans define a more precise measurement of time.

Our research isn't absolute, but because the Planck length and Planck time are, at present, precision barriers, it would be questionable to assume (at least as far as physics is concerned) that a smaller unit would ever occur in the present universe.

Just for fun, we went back to the calculator we used to convert seconds to Planck times and vice versa and enter 0.5 Planck units. Of course we got a number, 2.69528e-44. But nothing uses something that small.
                This is where I write words.

Comment

Originally posted by superwacker View Post
                  I agree that any attempt to define the smallest unit of measurement is impossible. We're stating the rate at which "instances" or "frames" pass by in the universe (well, actually it's the inverse, since we're stating how many instances occur in a second for a FPS value). In the same manner that technology improves and FPS increases with hardware, so will the stated FPS of the universe when humans define a more precise measurement of time.

Our research isn't absolute, but because the Planck length and Planck time are, at present, precision barriers, it would be questionable to assume (at least as far as physics is concerned) that a smaller unit would ever occur in the present universe.

Just for fun, we went back to the calculator we used to convert seconds to Planck times and vice versa and enter 0.5 Planck units. Of course we got a number, 2.69528e-44. But nothing uses something that small.
                  Why would it be questionable to assume that quantities smaller than unit plank measurements would ever occur in the present universe? Take Plank Mass (pM) for instance. 1 pM is about 2.176 10-8 kg. We know for sure that molecules and atoms weigh much less than 1 pM. A uranium atom weighs about 3.983 x 10-25 kg, for instance. Just because it is 1 plank unit of measure, it doesn't mean that it is the smallest quantity physically possible.

The point of devising plank units of measurement, or any natural units of measurement, really is to have a scale of measure that's supposedly independent of human connotations. I'm not saying that it's impossible to define the smallest unit of measure. I don't even know what it would mean to do that. I'm saying that your assumption that a measure of plank length gives you the smallest possible physical quantities of lengths is mistaken.

Here I'm making a distinction between measurements and quantities of length, just as we can make a distinction between measurements of masses and quantities of masses. Your basic fallacy is in not making this assumption. Consider the length of your desk. That has a physical quantity of length. Consider how you might measure that length. Suppose your best instrument of measurement is a yard stick. Does it follow that your desk must be one yard in length? You might think this because according to your best instrument of measurement, it fits 1 yard but doesn't hit 2. But this is of course crazy. It doesn't follow that things in your room can only come in quantities of lengths of unit yards, given the assumption that the best instrument of measure you can possibly have is a yard stick. It only follows that the most precise measurements you can make are in terms of yard units. Again, quantities of length are distinct from measurements of length.

Thus, defining more precise measurements does not imply more precise or smaller quantities. Suppose we come up with a new instrument to measure lengths, the ordinary ruler. That's more precise than a yard stick. But, just inventing a ruler or defining a foot changes nothing about the length of your desk. It only changes how precisely we can measure it. By analogy, coming up with more precise units of measurement would not speed up the "fps" of real life.

In short, you can't argue from units of measurement to the discrete nature of quantities. Even supposing that 1 plank length is the smallest possible measurement that we could make, it would still be an open question whether space and time are discrete or continuous. Space and time would only come in "frames" if it were discrete. But, two problems. You can't show that it's discrete by pointing at plank lengths. And second, there's no reason to assume that the smallest quantity of space or time is equal to the 1 plank length even if it were discrete. (Here you can also consider other natural units of length measurements--they aren't the same as plank units but they are supposed to be natural too).
                  Last edited by sordavie; 10-14-2008, 06:44 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I have two things to say.

1) This would rate a 'wicked cool' in the sandbox or even the general forums of TG. Here in these backwater forums we can TG-WoW is rates somewhere between a 'neat' and 'meh'.

2) I saw sordavie use "I ain't" in a sentence! Screenshotted for truth!
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

'Ain't' is fine colloquially.

Comment

Criticism of science is part of the process. I learned something from sordavie's posts.

This is why I welcome criticism of my own posts. It reveals my blind spots, and I hate having blind spots.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

heh, i posted this info here because I just wanted to share some interesting info with you guys. :D i did not actually plan to spark up an arguement. . . i geuss that just happens sometimes.
                          Do or do not, there is no try. . . - Yoda

Comment

So what's the actual framerate, like, you know, in FPS and junk? *twirls hair*
                            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Flappy View Post
                              heh, i posted this info here because I just wanted to share some interesting info with you guys. :D i did not actually plan to spark up an arguement. . . i geuss that just happens sometimes.
                              Well, to be fair, you did post a claim. You weren't merely reporting some information from somewhere. It's not as if scientists claimed they discovered something about the nature of reality, and you're here just reporting that. You made a claim about the frame rate of real life, and you used some amount of reasoning to back that claim up. So, of course people are going to think critically about it. You didn't expect people to just accept your claim without thought did you? :p

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X