Warrior - Protection Spec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior - Protection Spec

FWIW, here's my current thinking about the "ideal" MT protection spec for end game based on the style of play I use..

Level 60 Warrior (10/5/36). My current spec is 9/11/31, BTW, which is close enough to make 50 Gold respec a prohibitive expense.

Arms (10 points)

Deflection - Rank 5/5
    Increases your Parry chance by 5%.

Tactical Mastery - Rank 5/5
    You retain up to 25 of your Rage points when you change stances.

Fury (5 points)

Cruelty - Rank 5/5
    Increases your chance to get a critical strike with melee weapons by 5%.

Protection (36 points)

Shield Specialization - Rank 5/5
    Increases your chance to block attacks with a shield by 5% and has a 100% chance to generate 1 Rage when a block occurs.

Anticipation - Rank 5/5
    Increases your Defense skill by 10.

Improved Bloodrage - Rank 2/2
    Reduces the Health cost of your Bloodrage ability by 50%.

Toughness - Rank 5/5
    Increases your armor value from items by 10%.

Last Stand - Rank 1/1
    When activated, this ability temporarily grants you 30% of your maximum hit points for 20 sec. After the effect expires, the hit points are lost.

Improved Shield Block - Rank 1/3
    Allows your Shield Block ability to block an additional attack, and increases the duration by 0.5 sec.

Improved Revenge - Rank 3/3
    Gives your Revenge ability a 40% chance to stun the target for 3 sec.

Defiance - Rank 5/5
    Increases the threat generated by your attacks by 15% while in Defensive Stance.

Improved Shield Bash - Rank 2/2
    Gives your Shield Bash ability a 100% chance to silence the target for 3 sec.

Concussion Blow - Rank 1/1
    Stuns the opponent for 5 sec.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization - Rank 5/5
    Increases the damage you deal with One-Handed Melee weapons by 10%.

Shield Slam - Rank 1/1
    Slam the target with your shield, causing 450 to 550 damage and has a 50% chance of dispelling 1 magic effect on the target. Also causes a high amount of threat.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Warrior - Protection Spec

Arms
    Improved Heroic Strike Rank 3
    Deflection Rank 5
    Tactical Mastery Rank 5
    Improved Overpower Rank 2
    Anger Management Rank 1
    Arms Total: 16
    Protection
    Shield Specialization Rank 5
    Anticipation Rank 5
    Improved Bloodrage Rank 2
    Toughness Rank 5
    Last Stand Rank 1
    Improved Shield Block Rank 3
    Defiance Rank 5
    Improved Sunder Armor Rank 3
    Improved Taunt Rank 2
    Improved Shield Wall Rank 2
    Concussion Blow Rank 1
    Shield Slam Rank 1
    Protection Total: 35

Where me and Beep differ is the fact he can still deal some damage. IMHO, the below listed talents are useless for endgame.

Cruelty - Rank 5/5
    Increases your chance to get a critical strike with melee weapons by 5%.
    Tanks dont need to deal damage.

Improved Revenge - Rank 3/3
    Gives your Revenge ability a 40% chance to stun the target for 3 sec.
    Bosses cannot be stunned, maybe good for trash mobs, but talents better spent elsewhere.

Improved Shield Bash - Rank 2/2
    Gives your Shield Bash ability a 100% chance to silence the target for 3 sec.
    Cant silence bosses, again, good for trash mobs, but not much else.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization - Rank 5/5
    Increases the damage you deal with One-Handed Melee weapons by 10%.
    Always hated the fact this was in the "D-Tree" its such a Arms talent. Again, no need for increased damage on a D-Tree tank.

Either of our build are great specs for tanking endgame. They both have about the same talents, while Beeps is geared toward faster kills, mine is geared more toward being able to spam hate. (I.E. Improved Heroic Strike, generates a crap load of hate, Improved Sunder Armor, generates a crap load of hate, Anger Management to hold that oh so hard to build rage as long as I can.)

I think this is why me and Beep have had so much sucess tanking together. He kills stuff faster, while I talk all the trash.

Love ya bro!!

Comment

Ok, two specs, some minor variations.

Beep: Seems like the 5 points in Fury are wasted. Why use cruelty at all? I think maybe upping heroic strike, anger management, and sheild block might be better.

Skeet: I noticed that Beep doesn't use sunder or sheild wall at all. Why do you think that is important? Aren't some bosses immune to sunder?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        Ok, two specs, some minor variations.

Beep: Seems like the 5 points in Fury are wasted. Why use cruelty at all? I think maybe upping heroic strike, anger management, and sheild block might be better.

Skeet: I noticed that Beep doesn't use sunder or sheild wall at all. Why do you think that is important? Aren't some bosses immune to sunder?
        Good questions!!!

EDIT: Point of clarification...for example, "Improved Sunder" talent doesn't make it better or more likely, it only makes it cheaper in terms of rage cost. Same with "Improved Heroic Strike". "Improved Taunt" just reduces the cooldown timer.

1. In fact, I use sunder ALL the time...keep it maxed at 5 on the mob. What I don't need is reduced rage cost (from the talent). I have LOTS of rage from being beat on, so the "improved Sunder" reduced rage cost for the talent tree is not important. And you are right...bigger bosses resist sunder more often...so we may take longer to stack them, but I haven't encountered any that are immune.
        2. I use shield wall..when available...its got a humongous cooldown which limits its appeal to me. Improved shield wall (the talent) doesn't buy much, IMO. Still has a very long cooldown.
        3. For me the +5 in fury to improve crit chance lets me get more "white" damage from my autoattacks. In defensive stance, I rarely stance dance on bosses so overpower, MS or other specials are not being used.
        4. When I have a full rage bar, I "dump" rage with Shield Slam and Heroic Strike. Again...I don't need/want talent points to make these more efficient in PVE. PVP is different, but that's not my game.
        5. The tougher bosses ARE immune to Disarm and to Concussion Blow.

Part of the difference you see is playing style. IMO we really aren't all that different and it's VERY hard to detect any difference during a fight.
        Last edited by beep; 03-23-2006, 04:03 PM.
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Improved shield wall ups the damage you can abosrb to 75% and makes it last 15 secs i can believe. Shield wall with no talent buffs is 50% reduction for 10 secs...the extra 25% absorption and the extra 5 secs is sometimes enough to save myself so a priest can get that barely-enough-mana heal on me. Improved sunder and heroic strike are must for me. I dont have the damage output Beep does so it takes me longer to generate rage. I can spam more hate at lower levels of rage because of this. Beep doesnt need the lower cost because he deals more damage than me, thus building more rage. Like Beep said, its mostly a difference in play style, but it all amounts to the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctuchik
            Improved shield wall ups the damage you can abosrb to 75% and makes it last 15 secs i can believe. Shield wall with no talent buffs is 50% reduction for 10 secs...the extra 25% absorption and the extra 5 secs is sometimes enough to save myself so a priest can get that barely-enough-mana heal on me. Improved sunder and heroic strike are must for me. I dont have the damage output Beep does so it takes me longer to generate rage. I can spam more hate at lower levels of rage because of this. Beep doesnt need the lower cost because he deals more damage than me, thus building more rage. Like Beep said, its mostly a difference in play style, but it all amounts to the same thing.
            Yeah...what he said!:row__536:
            Beep

Comment

Right now I am 11/0/40

Arms

Deflection
              Rank 5/5 - Increases your Parry chance by 5% -- Every attack i can parry is less damage i take

Tactical Mastery
              Rank 5/5 - You retain up to 25 of our rage points when you change stances -- I can charge, sunder, and switch stances with losing a bit of rage

Anger Management
              Rank 1/1- Increases the time required for your rage to decay while out of combat by 30% -- I can build up rage on a trash mob before and boss and go into the fight with a good bit of rage already

Protection

Shield Specialization
              Rank 5/5- Increases your chance to block attacks with a shield by 5% and has a 100% chance to generate 1 rage when a block occurs -- The more attacks I block the less damage i take, and the more rage i have the better

Anticipation
              Rank 3/5 - Increases yoru Defense skill by 6 -- The more defense the better, i have thought about putting the full 5 points in this talent

Improved Bloodrage
              Rank 2/2- Reduces the Health cost of your Bloodrage ability by 50% -- The more health I have the better

Toughness
              Rank 5/5- Increases your armor value from items by 10% -- The more armor the better

Iron Will
              Rank 1/5- Increases your chance to resist Stun and Charm effects by and additional 3% -- Either going to put this point somewhere else or build this talent up more

Last Stand
              Rank 1/1- When activated, this ability temporarily grants you 30% of your maximum hit points for 20 seconds. After the effect expires, the hit points are lost. -- Gives the priest healing me that little extra time to get the mana for the big heal.

Improved Shield Block
              Rank 3/3- Allows your Shield Block ability to block an additional attack and increases the duration by 2 seconds -- The more hits blocked, the less damage taken, the better

Improved Revenge
              Rank 3/3- Gives your Revenge ability a 40% chance to stun the target for 3 sec. -- After reading what Skeet said about bosses being immune I am thinking of putting these points elsewhere, most likely in Iron Will

Defiance
              Rank 5/5- Increases the threat generated by your attacks by 15% while in Defensive Stance -- A must have for all tanks if you want to keep aggro

Improved Sunder Armor
              Rank 3/3- Reduces the cost of your Sunder Armor ability by 3 rage points. -- The sooner I can get 5 sunders off the better.

Improved Taunt
              Rank 2/2 Reduces the cooldown of your Taunt ability by 2 sec -- The more often I can taunt the better

Improved Shield Bash
              Rank 2/2- Gives your Shield Bash ability a 100% chance to silence the target for 3 sec. -- Once again, after reading Skeets post I am thinking of putting these points elsewhere

Concussion Blow
              Rank 1/1- Stuns the opponent for 5 sec -- Keeping it so I can have Shield Slam

One-Handed Weapon Specialization
              Rank 3/5- Increases the damage you deal with One-Handed Melee weapons by 6% -- Debating putting these points elsewhere, but likely they will stay

Shield Slam
              Rank 1/1- Slam the target with your shield, causing 288 to 352 damage and has a 50% chance of dispelling 1 magic effect on the target. Also causes a high amount of threat -- Good to have for the high damage plus high amount of threat all in one shot

This is how I am setup as of now, I will wait to run ZG a few more times, and MC before I consider a re-spec.

Comment

The most commonly recommended "tanking" protection spec is 9/11/31...focused on PVE tanking. Not oriented to PVP play.

Arms - 9 points
                5/5 in Deflection (avoid hits)
                4/5 in Tactical Mastery (stance dance!)

Fury - 11 points
                Cruelty - 5/5
                Improved Demoralizing Shout - 5/5
                Piercing Howl - 1/1

Protection - 31 points
                Shield Specialization 5/5
                Improved Bloodrage 2/2
                Last Stand 1/1
                Toughness 5/5
                Improved Shield Block 1/3
                Defiance 5/5
                Improved Taunt 2/2
                Improved Shield Wall 2/2
                Concussion Blow 1/1
                Improved Shield Bash 1/2
                One-handed Weapon Specialization - 5/5
                Shield Slam 1/1
                Last edited by beep; 08-04-2006, 07:54 PM.
                Beep

Comment

i put Beeps last post into a calculator for easier reference
                  http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...50110500221151
                  Last edited by Tonk; 08-07-2006, 12:19 AM.