Warrior Chat Vol. 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Chat Vol. 2

The original thread has gotten long and a bit away from my original post. Therefore, I'm launching a new thread for the purpose of stimulating some thought about the guild's warriors and what you can do to be an active, contributing part of TG.

I'm delighted to see more warriors in the guild, both those arriving from elsewhere AND those who have reached level 60 where end-game is in sight. For the most part, I'd consider us "full" as a class.

Because of my advanced age and tenure as...well, I'm gonna share some thoughts with you anway!

1. Gearing up for end-game. This is particularly a topic for Protection Spec warriors, but applies to any warrior that wants to be a part of TG's end-game raiding. You NEED to focus on getting the gear that gets you ready for MC/Onyxia/AQ/ZG. The typical warrior armor path leads to the Valor set and then beyond...+defense gear for tanking, +hit/crit gear for DPS and FR gear for all. I want to encourage all warriors to go after their gear. Do some research, figure out who drops what (Research here...http://69.41.171.43/index.htm) and make runs or quests to get what you want. This is a lot of time and effort!

The key thing, though, is that most of your gear upgrades are blue drops that aren't found in ZG or AQ or MC. They come from quests (e.g. [ITEM]Ornate Adamantium Breastplate [/ITEM]or from UBRS/LBRS/Strat/Scholo/Dire Maul...heck, even BRD. Most items are BOP so you can't buy them. This means you'll be busy, since we need warriors for raiding, but you need the gear from instancing the 5 and 10 man spots.

You know who you are...if you already have your Valor set or its equivalent, then bravo! You'll need to start chasing FR gear. If you are working on your Heroic set, even better. Better gear makes it easier on the healers to keep you up and is critical for the MT role. Good gear=survival. And there is a LOT of good gear that is not part of a set.

2. Roles and numbers. We now have something like 10-12 warriors who have registered with TG. Thinking out loud...not all should be MT/Protection-specc'd. We need 'bout 4-5 active warriors who are Protection spec and geared up to tank. The rest should be DPS oriented with Arms/Fury spec of choice, provided they have some ability to step in with sword-and-board if needed when MT's go down. I don't want to tell you how to spec, but having 15 points in protection buys a lot of tanking goodness. 31/5/15 is the "usual" spec for this.

3. Fire Resistance - more is better, period! FR is critical for MT and backup for raid success in MC and Onyxia. The guild will support outfitting MT's in FR gear (Dark Iron crafted armor), but this is a slow process. You should aim for getting 125-150 FR (unbuffed) on your own. If you have less, you limit your effectiveness in certain boss encounters.

Right now the warriors that are Protection Spec (to my imperfect knowledge) are:
    1. Beep (that's me). My spec is 9/11/31.
    2. Tgphantom
    3. Zandibar
    4. Sethanon
    5. Opaluroria

Anyone else?

I'd welcome warrior input and discussion, particularly from our newer guild-mates. What do you think? What does your experience suggest? What is your spec?
    Last edited by beep; 04-12-2006, 06:05 PM.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Warrior Chat Vol. 2

Let's not forget our Mortal Strike friends! There are so many bosses that will heal themselves. MS ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamis
      Let's not forget our Mortal Strike friends! There are so many bosses that will heal themselves. MS ftw!
      Speaking of which, how many MS warriors do we have?

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
      BY FIBER BE PURGED!! TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
      TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS

Comment

Off the top of my head 2 MS warriors, you and Laviath.

Comment

Seriously though. Mortal Strike is a must have when fighting someone like Lethon.

Comment

OK....warriors....it's time for a little census...post your spec, plz!

Arms/Fury/Protection

Mine is 9/11/31.
            Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

16/0/35

Once I get off work here in a couple hours I will post each talent i have points in, how many points i have in it, and why.

Comment

--My detailed spec and why--

-Arms-

Deflection Rank 5/5 Increases your Parry chance by 5% -- The more I Parry the less damage I take so the better

Tactical Mastery Rank 5/5 You retain up to 25 of your rage points when you change stances -- This is a must have for stance dancing

Anger Management Rank 1/1 Increases the time required for your rage to decay while out of combat -- If I have rage left over at the end of a fight and another fight will be starting soon then the more rage I have when that fight starts the better

Improved Heroic Strike Rank 3/3 Reduces the cost of your Heroic Strike ability by 3 rage points -- Not many tanks invest points in this but I figured it was a good investment. Heroic Strike causes a high amount of threat, so the less rage required to cause high amounts of threat, then the more threat i can cause over time.

Improved Charge Rank 2/2 Increases the amount of rage generated by your Charge ability by 6 -- Not useful for bosses since charging isn't the best idea, but the majority of the time you are fighting trash mobs, so the more rage you have when a fight starts the faster you can get your sunders off, and other high threat causing attacks.

-Fury-

NONE

-Protection-

Shield Specialization Rank 5/5 Increases your chance to block attacks with a shield by 5% and has a 100% chance to generate 1 rage when a block occurs -- The more I block the less damage I take, and getting extra rage from doing nothing is always a good bonus.

Anticipation Rank 5/5 Increases your Defense skill by 10 -- For boss fights Defense is crucial, right now in full tanking gear with this talent, and unbuffed, i have 416 Defense.

Improved Bloodrage Rank 2/2 Reduces the Health cost of your Bloodrage ability by 50% -- Bloodrage is crucial for starting many fights, so taking less health to create that rage is very good.

Toughness Rank 5/5 Increases your armor value from items by 10% -- High armor is crucial for taking less damage.

Last Stand Rank 1/1 When activated, this ability temporarily grants you 30% of your maximum hit points for 20 seconds. After the effect expires, the hit points are lost. -- If that big heal isn't coming past enough from the priest then you can hit this to give them the time to get that heal off.

Improved Shield Block Rank 3/3 Allows your Shield Block ability to bock an additional attack and increases the duration by 2 seconds. -- The more blocked attacks the better.

Defiance Rank 5/5 Increases the threat generated by your attacks by 15% while in Defensive Stance. -- This is a MUST have for a tank, generating threat is what you do.

Improved Sunder Amor Rank 3/3 Reduces the cost of your Sunder Amor ability by 3 rage points. -- Less rage to sunder, means i can land 5 sunders faster, which means i have control faster.

Improved Taunt Rank 2/2 Reduces the cooldown of your Taunt ability by 2 sec. -- Crucial for fights where either the boss won't stay aggroed to one person, or the trash mobs are hopping around a bunch.

Improved Shield Wall Rank 2/2 Increases the effect duration of your Shield Wall ability by 5 secs. -- I find this crucial for staying alive at times, especially in boss fights, 5 secs doesn't seem like much but it is when that big priest heal will make it to you in time now.

Concussion Blow Rank 1/1 Stuns the opponent for 5 sec. -- Obviously no good for bosses but great for trash mobs, for example a macro i have casts concussion blow on my target then targets me and uses a heavy runecloth bandage and then targets my last target.

Shield Slam Rank 1/1 Slam the target with your shield, causing 288 to 352 damage and has a 50% chance of dispelling 1 magic effect on the target. Also causesa high amount of threat. -- This causes crazy threat, and crits fairly often for me for around 800 damage, plus having the 50% chance of dispelling 1 magic effect is nice for those bosses that have a heal over time that you can knock off.

If you want to know more about why I chose what I chose just find me on TS and we can talk.

Comment

For you aggro bags, I would suggest farming AQ lots until you get your Heroic Strike rank 9 and your Revenge rank 6. The threat generated from these two upgrades is unparalled to any amount of sunders or taunts you throw on a mob. With these upgrades I can literally toss two sunders and one heroic strike and never loose aggro on 63 leet mobs. Books drop randomly off different bosses in AQ20, if your not running this a couple times a week, your missing out.

Comment

I got the Revenge book and i really want to get the Heroic Strike one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctuchik
                      For you aggro bags, I would suggest farming AQ lots until you get your Heroic Strike rank 9 and your Revenge rank 6. The threat generated from these two upgrades is unparalled to any amount of sunders or taunts you throw on a mob. With these upgrades I can literally toss two sunders and one heroic strike and never loose aggro on 63 leet mobs. Books drop randomly off different bosses in AQ20, if your not running this a couple times a week, your missing out.

Yeah...what he said!
                      Beep

Comment

OK...(adopts stern parent posture)

We've only had one warrior (other than me) who has posted their spec. Where are the rest of you????

...and another thing....from my limited observation, most of our warriors need to work on upgrading their gear...especially armor. This is not a bad thing, but rather part of the normal evolution as you move to level 60 and then start prepping for the end-game 20 and 40 man instances.

I want to say this carefully...it is YOUR responsibility to get your gear upgraded by joining/organizing 5-10 man raids in Strat/Scholo/LBRS/DM/UBRS/BRD until you get the stuff you need/want. Running these instances dozens of times is "normal". I went to UBRS 29 times before my [item]Draconian Deflector[/item] dropped. (Of course, Phantom got his on his first visit...:row__628: ) Even so, the Valor chest has NEVER dropped for me.

Why does getting a decent collection of blue gear matter? You need the stats, you need the survivability so your healers don't get overwhelmed. Having one piece of Might armor that dropped in MC for you is great, but if you match it with 7 pieces of Imperial Plate, you're still undergeared. My thought is that you will get opportunities to join our 20-40 man raids, but that is not a practical way to get your gear since the frequency of these bigger raids is low AND the number of items dropped is even lower than you get in the lower instances...with more ppl who want the items.
                        Beep

Comment

Originally posted by beep
                          Why does getting a decent collection of blue gear matter? You need the stats, you need the survivability so your healers don't get overwhelmed. Having one piece of Might armor that dropped in MC for you is great, but if you match it with 7 pieces of Imperial Plate, you're still undergeared. My thought is that you will get opportunities to join our 20-40 man raids, but that is not a practical way to get your gear since the frequency of these bigger raids is low AND the number of items dropped is even lower than you get in the lower instances...with more ppl who want the items.
                          QFT

Also, for you non prot warriors, this is going to be good tanking experience. You WILL need to tank parts of MC, ZG and AQ. If the tanking fails, the raid wipes. All those 5 mans gives you the tanking expertise you need, especially since most 5man pugs are composed of people who know how to manage aggro about as well as Donald Trump manages finances.

I know a lot of our warriors are arms/fury, but fact of the matter is you'll need to tank more often than you'd like or know. Us pallies can only get us so far.

Comment

A lot of people will say that that they 31/5/15 build will allow you to tank as good as solid protection build. Well, I tried it, and it doesnt. You hit loads harder ad gain a lot of soloing ability, but you loose so much in the defensive tree. I currently run with a 16/0/35 build, doesnt really give me uch soloing capablities, but I own in the 5/10/20/40 mans. I require a lot less healing with this build than the other. Im trying to concoct a hybrid build that lets me solo and still rock in instance, but so far, nothing gravy has presented itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctuchik
                              A lot of people will say that that they 31/5/15 build will allow you to tank as good as solid protection build. Well, I tried it, and it doesnt. You hit loads harder ad gain a lot of soloing ability, but you loose so much in the defensive tree. I currently run with a 16/0/35 build, doesnt really give me uch soloing capablities, but I own in the 5/10/20/40 mans. I require a lot less healing with this build than the other. Im trying to concoct a hybrid build that lets me solo and still rock in instance, but so far, nothing gravy has presented itself.
                              No disagreements on the advantages of protection-heavy spec for tanking...but not all warriors will be in tanking roles. If you're not one of the protection spec'd warriors already, it makes no sense to respec away from Arms/Fury. The 31/5/15 build is as close to a "generic" dps warrior build with some tanking ability as there is.
                              Beep

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X