Priority for Warrior Gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priority for Warrior Gear

It has been recommended by several people who come to TG from other guilds with end-game experience that we adopt the relatively common practice of giving priority for gear drops to our MT and MT alternate (that would me ( MT) and Phantom (MT alternate)).

In plain English, this would mean the MT/MT alternate get first claim on the Might (Tier 1) set pieces...and then later on Wrath (Tier 2) as we get there. The idea is to completely outfit MT 1 and then MT 2 to enable them to gain the benefits from the full set.

The logic for this is that success in end-game absolutely requires that the MT (or two or three) be able to stand in with the boss and take a beating while holding aggro away from the rest of the raid. When the tank(s) go down (or the healers keeping the tanks alive), the encounter is a wipe.

Gearing up the tank(s) is a critical key to success, regardless of whether we have priority for drops. Without priority, it will take longer.

Up until now, the guild's practice has NOT been for priority on drops for the MT roles. Informally, some warriors have passed when a Might piece has dropped in favor of Phantom or me. We had a brief discussion of this topic with the guild officers last night with the upshot being twofold:
    1. It makes sense to have priority for the tanks...BUT
    2. It should be discussed and generally agreed-to within the warrior class. None of us (me included) has any interest in creating some sense of favoritism or unfair treatment.

This thread is specifically created to address point #2 above. I'm looking for feedback and reactions from the other warriors.

Here's my 2 cents...

- If we go the priority route for the MT/MT alternate and the other warriors are feeling shafted, we haven't made a good choice for the guild...and this is ALL ABOUT THE GUILD!!!

- I think if the tanks have better armor faster, then we will be better able to advance into end-game faster and with fewer wipes. That means more fun and more loot all around.
    - The alternative is that we continue to use DKP to "round-robin" the Might armor drops...but this will take far longer to get the tanks their set pieces.

- If we go the priority route for the MT/MT alternate, we could wind up granting more than one epic per night (if the gods of droppage smile on the warrior class) to the MT/MT alternate.

- As you would guess, a CRITICAL element in this program is keeping the MT/MT alternates in the guild. It is a painful blow to have a guild-outfitted MT leave. FWIW, I'm here. This is my home. Removing my TG tattoo would be too painful:icon20: Phantom feels the same way.

- Beep's current state of armor...I have 5 of the 8 Might pieces, needing only legs, shoulders and helm.

So...what do you think? Is this a good idea???
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Priority for Warrior Gear

Well, if we are serious about endgame, then the ones taking the beating up front better have the best gear possible.

Get a list together of what our MTs need, and get them kitted out.

Comment

I would love to see Beep and I geared to the nines so we can better stand up to these bosses. But as Beep said I don't want the other warriors to feel left out and shafted. I will only do this if we have 100% cooperation from the other warriors.

Comment

I'm all for it, however, wrath does have a few DPS elements in it, so I think it'd be fair to have discussions about that when we start seeing those drop. The first two set bonuses, and slightly the third, would benefit a dps warrior just as much as an MT.

Gear is gear, it'll drop again I guess. And us dps warriors are used to getting the butt-end of things, don't worry.

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
        BY FIBER BE PURGED!! TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
        TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS

Comment

I have no problems with this proposal, and would gladly defer to the MT.

Questions:
          Does this only apply to tier1 and tier2 set gear?
          What about obvious "tank" specific drops? ex: high +def gear or uber shields
          Do these drops count against DKP?
          What happens when our MTs are near completion with tier1, and a tier2 piece drops?

--Duck
          Uglyduck - Spec varies - Currently Prot
          MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls

Comment

Beep ( our MT ) has 5/8 of teir 1.. so with the (dont quote me on this) chest shoulders and pants.. being the other 3 he needs... so he is kinda close to wraping up with his might set
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chair
              Beep ( our MT ) has 5/8 of teir 1.. so with the (dont quote me on this) chest shoulders and pants.. being the other 3 he needs... so he is kinda close to wraping up with his might set
              Beep needs legs, shoulders and helm.
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by duck
                I have no problems with this proposal, and would gladly defer to the MT.

Questions:
                What happens when our MTs are near completion with tier1, and a tier2 piece drops?

--Duck
                All good questions, Duck.

Since this is a "new" pathway for thinking about this question, I'll respond in sequence.

I haven't thought further than these two sets, and my first-hand knowledge of BWL is limited. I think the principle applies no matter where...that the MT and MT Alternate ("MTA"), if properly outfitted, will enable more successful raids to occur sooner.

So far as I'm concerned (back to principle again), the priority is applicable for the tanking gear--the Tier 1 and 2 (and beyond) sets plus the really good shields (e.g. [item]Drillborer Disk[/item]) or items that are tanking oriented.

I assumed that they WOULD count against DKP. This would put the MT and MTA into a more or less permanent DKP hole, but that's because they would have the gear.

That's a super question! The 8 piece set bonus for Might gives +15% threat bonus for sunders. If I have the full set and upgrade to a Wrath piece, then I lose the final set bonus but gain the stats of upgrade piece. I go back to the principle idea--outfitting the MT and MTA with the set pieces as quickly as possible.

Now...a caveat...I've offered my thinking on this to advance the discussion. I'm NOT trying to impose my will on the group or anything like that. Phantom and I have chatted about this many times. We are of the opinion that unless the warriors are in agreement on this, it's not worth the turmoil to impose it on the group. We are all about wanting what's best for the guild.

If the consensus is to keep the existing DKP system (with priority strictly determined by DKP points), then we'll do it that way. The downside to that is that it will take longer for the MT and MTA to get geared, with the expectation that our progress will be slower. We trade "speed" to get "fair".

Alternatively, if the consensus is to give priority to the MT and MTA, then the guild should expect faster guild progress, but the other warriors will have to be comfortable with a slower pace for their own Tiered Setpieces. We trade "fair" to get "speed".

A "constant" assumption is that the MT and MTA will be consistent attendees at raids...especially after getting the gear. There is NO benefit to having them geared up and idle. If it's any comfort, Beep is #2 in total DKP earned and Phantom is #12 for the entire guild. That indicates that we are among the "faithful" in attendance since you get DKP only by being present for Epic Drops.

FWIW, here are the top 20 in total DKP EARNED...Thank you and Gratz to this group!! Their faithful attendance is a key part of our guild success in end-game raiding.
                1. Gaviin
                2. Beep
                3. Jandreyn
                4. Luna
                5. Ricca
                6. Shalthazar
                7. Friolator
                8. Celltar
                9. Arkamis
                10. Ogi
                11. Halten
                12. Phantom
                13. Fiela
                14. Zeddzorander
                15. Doofey
                16. Ashenhart
                17. Tarenth
                18. Kittywampus
                19. Crebis
                20. Stendal
                Beep

Comment

i should be on that list >.< (chirps dkp transfered to chair doesnt show up for some reason)