Lightwell vs Holy Nova

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightwell vs Holy Nova

This is probably a unique problem to me because I use a holy build, but I'd still like some input from people.

I'm considering the merits of dropping Holy Nova in favor of Lightwell for raiding purposes. While its nice to have some AoE in case the crapper hits the fan, you don't really see priests using it much in a 20/40 man setting because it sucks all our mana out the window. I've also noticed a lot of silly ranged DPS people who refuse to stop 10 seconds to bandage. -.-

With lightwell I'd be able to drop it somewhere before/mid combat and let the ranged DPS click it and keep moving. Warlocks can life tap with it on for free mana and hunters/mages can shoot and cast while getting a nice efficient heal. Of course the HoT is disrupted by damage and the 'hide the lightwell' game isn't much fun to play in combat. It may take a little while to train people to make use of the lightwell and its 3 minute duration efficiently and not use the 1600+ HoT to 'top off' after taking damage.

And thoughts/suggestions?
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Lightwell vs Holy Nova

Originally posted by Tarenth
    This is probably a unique problem to me because I use a holy build, but I'd still like some input from people.

I'm considering the merits of dropping Holy Nova in favor of Lightwell for raiding purposes. While its nice to have some AoE in case the crapper hits the fan, you don't really see priests using it much in a 20/40 man setting because it sucks all our mana out the window. I've also noticed a lot of silly ranged DPS people who refuse to stop 10 seconds to bandage. -.-

With lightwell I'd be able to drop it somewhere before/mid combat and let the ranged DPS click it and keep moving. Warlocks can life tap with it on for free mana and hunters/mages can shoot and cast while getting a nice efficient heal. Of course the HoT is disrupted by damage and the 'hide the lightwell' game isn't much fun to play in combat. It may take a little while to train people to make use of the lightwell and its 3 minute duration efficiently and not use the 1600+ HoT to 'top off' after taking damage.

And thoughts/suggestions?
    Lightwell, imo, is good idea poorly implemented. Too hard to find, too easily interrupted, placement decisions, something else to put into overcrowded raid chat, etc. The few times I've seen it used, it was not really usable.

I'm open to the possibilities in spite of my negative experiences. I'd love to be convinced otherwise.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I have heard in further instances that it is of tremendous use, where you can put it back behind the casters and they can step back, use it and then get back to casting.

The top rank of it is 1600hp heal, which is still less than a runecloth bandage, so its really not much different.

The real issue with it I think is placement and just teaching people to back out and use it. If you get past those 2 issues it can be a good thing, but I currently don't have it, and don't see myself switching to it, unless asked to by the guild.
      Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

I currently also don't want to see many priests switching out to get lightwell. A great deal of our priests are Disc/Holy for the spirit buff. I'm somewhat of an oddball with the holy/disc build, but I also stack as much +healing as possible and have a crummy mana pool.

The good news of a lightwell is you can use it in conjunction with your bandage. If you have the recently bandage debuff and no cookies or pots up a lightwell can seriously save your bacon. Also those lazy mages and warlocks can click it for a fast HoT and go back to casting while they get healed.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I'd love to see it in action. I think it could be a big benefit if one our of priests had it. Its not great but if the bandage is on cooldown it could keep up casters (and maybe rogues) who aren't really going to get much healer attention normally. And for anyone that's had a boss down to 1% having that DPS up even 30 seconds longer can be nice.

Even if you do it just to try it and see I think it would be cool. And since you probably aren't out there griding repair money with your priest (BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) its not like you need holy nova anyway. I remember reading somewhere about a mage complaining about priests getting an insta-cast AoE. And while I make sure I go show the murlocs in Wetlands that they messed with the wrong person 40 levels ago there's not a whole lot of practical use for that spell.
          Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
          Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
          ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

No use? OMG I so can clear bug traps in Strath on my own with Holy Nova! :)

Seriously, Holy Nova is one of those talents that's just fun to have. I use it in AE situations because healing wise its not that bad, but I also get to do a bit of damage. Most times the mage in my 5 man is going to drink after an AE fight anyway, so I can do the same thing.

Its just a fun thing to have, it doesn't server any real purpose for raiding.

| | |

Comment

I should have worded that a little better than I did... it is hella fun - and I do enjoy wandering over and blasting up murlocs or a group of vultures in westfall. I like the screen full of yellow numbers, but for raiding its not worth much.
              Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
              Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
              ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

When I first got Holy Nova, I made not only the mage mad, but also the paladin in a 5 man scarlet strat run. When we got to the live area, I was leading DPS by almost 100 more than the paladin and close to 130 more than the mage. I was hitting for about 4000-6500 damage every cast on the bug traps. I was LMAO when the paladin goes, " JESUS!! Hale what the hell, I hate you and that Holy Nova spell."

Comment

Hey I remember that b/c SOMEONE had to pick up the healing slack since the priest was too busy blasting stuff away.

|TG-Defiant| - It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you.

Comment

Holy hell! 4000-6500 per cast on the bug traps? I'm lucky if I can burn a trinket and get a 500 crit with holy nova to a target. What are you doing and can I get some?!?

I still piss off mages with single targets though. My smite is faster than their spells, harder to resist (no holy resistance stat), and hits for roughly 500-600 with common crits of 800-900 (yay for holy spec!). If I get aggro? Bubble, fade, laugh. :)

Comment

Re-read that Tarenth. :)

He means he is doing a total of 4000-6000 a cast (or 200-300/cast/bug on 15 or 20 bugs).

| | |

Comment

Actually Sajier, it's more like 250 to 400 damage per bug. I get an average of 5 crits a cast on those bugs that range from 325 to 450. The crits are what really pump up the total damage.

Comment

Oh...you mean on the GATE traps. Whew. You see when you said 'bug traps' I was thinking of the bugs that spawn when you touch a trapped crate. There are maybe 3-5 bugs in those things and 6000 damage on 5 bugs is excessive.

My mana pool is puny. I run out of juice before the bugs go down, but I average the same I suppose.

Comment

Sorry this is just too easy :)

I guess in Tarenth's case, its not the size that counts, its how you use it :).

| | |

Comment

Oh now you've done it.

Yeah, I have a moderately large mana pool, but puny in comparison to the other priests we have. Its just a good thing I have such skill in making use of it and greater stamina and staying power to boot. ;)

Now, back to the topic at hand before Luna gets her gutter mind in here to add her two cents.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X