Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Spec and the Rationale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Spec and the Rationale

    After talking with Sajier about the potential pros and cons I decided to spec Shadow. Currently this is my spec. Once the patch comes out I plan on getting Vamperic Touch and scaling back in Disc.

    Basically this is a test to see if the benefits of having the extra damage from myself and warlocks outweigh the negatives of not being in heal mode. Also with the patch coming there will be the added mana regen benefits (as well as more dmg benefits). I'm excited about trying this out and hope that it works. If not I told Sajier I am more than willing to go back. My only goal is to help us progress as a guild, see new fights, and continue to succeed. If anyone has input I would welcome it either PM or here on the boards.

    --Pistos
    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
    Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
    ...and other distractions of various levels.

  • #2
    Re: New Spec and the Rationale

    ehh i tried to make my shadow priest my main way back.. but there wasnt much room for one then.. good luck tho.. fight the good fight =D
    powered by Windows 7

    . . . .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New Spec and the Rationale

      One brief raid doesn't prove anything, AND damage stat trackers are not accurate for "spread out" groups...BUT

      In our last Onyxia raid, according to my Recap tracker, Beepster was tops in both total healing and damage done for the raid. Honestly, I take those numbers with a huge grain of salt, but here are the circumstances...

      1. I was in a party that had a dedicated healer which meant I was able to concentrate on damage.

      2. Vampiric Embrace heals the entire party you are in at around 20% of the shadow damage dealt (per person), so in total, damage=healing.

      3. I'm sure I was not getting stats from ppl on the other side of the "room" from me, so don't get all upset if your stats showed something different. I'd be surprised if they didn't show a different picture. I'm just glad to find that raiding with a shadow priest wasn't a bust!

      Please note I am not claiming that a shadow priest is a strong healer. It does appear that a shadow priest can be a great supplement to the party/raid with a unique combination of decent DPS AND healing boost.

      In the expansion, caster/shadow priest combinations will be even more potent. Sounds like fun!!
      Beep


      Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New Spec and the Rationale

        You are right, stat trackers are not completely accurate, and one thing I have found recently is that certain ones are far more inaccurate than others. Damage Meters (the mod) is hugely inaccurate because it doesn't take into account overheal. On Sunday we ran UBRS, and when Masq posted the healing stats Pistos and Lightshow had both outhealed me by about 50k. When I pulled up SWStats they were almost 100k behind me because 60% of their healing had been marked overheal, so lets avoid comparisons using these things, all of them, because I don't trust them to be completely accurate or give us a true picture.

        I am counting shadow priests healing as a "bonus", not as a primary source of healing. On Vael, I think a shadow priest can do the job as a healer due to VE, but they are not a primary healer, and that is perfectly fine. Shadow priests bring a great deal to the table for us, and having a couple running with us consistantly, to me, is a boon for the raid, because the damage output they bring, plus basically a heal over time, even if its not a gigantic one, help a ton. In addition, Shadow Vulnerability, and with the next patch, Misery, shadow priests are going to up the damage of the everyone else around them.

        In the end, I think a balance of shadow and holy/disc ends up being a good thing for us all, and thus why I agreed with Pistos to try it out. Hopefully, in the end, it helps us all :).
        Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

        | | |

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New Spec and the Rationale

          Originally posted by Sajier View Post
          You are right, stat trackers are not completely accurate, and one thing I have found recently is that certain ones are far more inaccurate than others. Damage Meters (the mod) is hugely inaccurate because it doesn't take into account overheal. On Sunday we ran UBRS, and when Masq posted the healing stats Pistos and Lightshow had both outhealed me by about 50k. When I pulled up SWStats they were almost 100k behind me because 60% of their healing had been marked overheal, so lets avoid comparisons using these things, all of them, because I don't trust them to be completely accurate or give us a true picture.

          I am counting shadow priests healing as a "bonus", not as a primary source of healing. On Vael, I think a shadow priest can do the job as a healer due to VE, but they are not a primary healer, and that is perfectly fine. Shadow priests bring a great deal to the table for us, and having a couple running with us consistantly, to me, is a boon for the raid, because the damage output they bring, plus basically a heal over time, even if its not a gigantic one, help a ton. In addition, Shadow Vulnerability, and with the next patch, Misery, shadow priests are going to up the damage of the everyone else around them.

          In the end, I think a balance of shadow and holy/disc ends up being a good thing for us all, and thus why I agreed with Pistos to try it out. Hopefully, in the end, it helps us all :).
          Yeah...what he said! Seriously, that was my point...that Shadow Priests are a great "reinforcement" to a raid. And, when pressed into healing service with good +heal gear, they can be a good backup in that role.
          Beep


          Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New Spec and the Rationale

            Its taken me a little to get back in the swing of it, but I was spec'd shadow all the way up leveling and even for quite a while as 60. Wasn't doing a ton of raiding back then (except UBRS when it was still 15) and ZG a few times and with very few exceptions went in healing not damaging. For me Ony was pretty typical except i am blasting and flaying instead of wanding and I was still healing/fearwarding in Phase 3.

            And while a Holy/Disc or Disc/Holy spec makes healing tremendously more efficient and effective (people that tell you otherwise are lying :)) I do think that the gear and experience I have healing all of you guys will allow me to both switch out when needed mid fight or even go into fights as a healer and hold my own just fine. This just hopefully gives us some more options we can use.
            Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
            Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
            ...and other distractions of various levels.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New Spec and the Rationale

              *nods*

              I already told Pistos he would be the first person I called on to swap out to healing when necessary :).
              Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

              | | |

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New Spec and the Rationale

                Originally posted by beep View Post
                One brief raid doesn't prove anything, AND damage stat trackers are not accurate for "spread out" groups...BUT

                In our last Onyxia raid, according to my Recap tracker, Beepster was tops in both total healing and damage done for the raid. Honestly, I take those numbers with a huge grain of salt, but here are the circumstances...

                1. I was in a party that had a dedicated healer which meant I was able to concentrate on damage.

                2. Vampiric Embrace heals the entire party you are in at around 20% of the shadow damage dealt (per person), so in total, damage=healing.

                3. I'm sure I was not getting stats from ppl on the other side of the "room" from me, so don't get all upset if your stats showed something different. I'd be surprised if they didn't show a different picture. I'm just glad to find that raiding with a shadow priest wasn't a bust!

                Please note I am not claiming that a shadow priest is a strong healer. It does appear that a shadow priest can be a great supplement to the party/raid with a unique combination of decent DPS AND healing boost.

                In the expansion, caster/shadow priest combinations will be even more potent. Sounds like fun!!

                sounds right.. when i am on chirp.. i can usually be #1 on charts ( save AOE intensive raids...) shadow priests have the highest **single target** dps of all classes IMHO
                powered by Windows 7

                . . . .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New Spec and the Rationale

                  Originally posted by Pistos View Post
                  Its taken me a little to get back in the swing of it, but I was spec'd shadow all the way up leveling and even for quite a while as 60. Wasn't doing a ton of raiding back then (except UBRS when it was still 15) and ZG a few times and with very few exceptions went in healing not damaging. For me Ony was pretty typical except i am blasting and flaying instead of wanding and I was still healing/fearwarding in Phase 3.

                  And while a Holy/Disc or Disc/Holy spec makes healing tremendously more efficient and effective (people that tell you otherwise are lying :)) I do think that the gear and experience I have healing all of you guys will allow me to both switch out when needed mid fight or even go into fights as a healer and hold my own just fine. This just hopefully gives us some more options we can use.
                  heh.. i went into UBRS at lvl 52 (i was shadow spec at that time) and healed my dorf butt off like no tomorrow =D
                  powered by Windows 7

                  . . . .

                  Comment

                  Connect

                  Collapse

                  TeamSpeak 3 Server

                  Collapse

                  Advertisement

                  Collapse

                  Twitter Feed

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X