"Whack-a-Mole" Priests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Whack-a-Mole" Priests?

I dunno 'bout you guys, but I'm struggling more to find enjoyment in groups with healing these days. It has always been about watching everyone's health bars for priests, but it's feeling even more so now...with NO room for attending to much of anything else. With decursing now a duplicate track for watching...and having the group buff displays borked...no fun at all.

I'm straining to find it enjoyable. Anyone else feeling the same or is this just my lack of practice/dedication/commitment showing up again?
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: "Whack-a-Mole" Priests?

Well look at the bright side, at least you have a really powerful warrior that can.....oh....nevermind.

I'm in the same boat as you Beep. The WoW factor just isn't there anymore. Maybe TBC will cure our ills.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

I don't think its just you. But I do think its just something we have to readjust to and once we do it won't be nearly as bad as it seems. Personally the decursing is a pain in the a$$ but the actual healing isn't any different. Emergency monitor is gone, but I'd flip back and forth using it when it was. I always had everyone's character frame up anyway so its not that different.

I guess what I'm saying is that it does suck but I do think once we get use to the way it is now it will be fine.
      Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
      Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
      ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

When I first became a healer, I did it old school without emergency monitor. It was not a hard adjustment for me. The decursive part is a pain, maybe dedicate one person in each group to be responsible for their group. Not sure how that will work, but they do have pots to help decurse, poison, etc.

They have changed the dynamics of the game which can always lead to bad things. Look what happen with Star Wars Galaxies when they changed things too much.

The only thing WoW has going atm is TBC, if it was not for that, more and more people would be leaving.
        "As Above, So Below"

Comment

I've ALWAYS used CT Raid for monitoring health and never had anything other than the "smart heal" spell level addons that adjusted spell ranks to health deficit. The look-and-click-then-keystroke has been the only healing style I've ever known. Decursive made that acceptable. It's gotten "worse" without decursive.

I'm sure I'll recover from my frustration, but it IS frustrating me right now.
          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I think these changes will fit within the new encounters in TBC, but also reinforce the need for healing assignments in current raids. Instead of having to watch 40 bars, just watching 2-3 groups isn't so bad. Also, from some of the reading I've done on forums of guilds who clear Naxx, the healers have been saying for awhile that the best way to heal is to watch the fight and see who is taking damage, and who will soon be taking damage. I've taken that approach lately, and it works well with the exception of AE heavy fights where everyone is getting hit. Those observations just reinforce my thinking that TBC will be content where healing isn't just watching life bars, but watching the battle and responding. Its very easy to see a mob running to someone and knowing they will soon need a heal rather than waiting for them to get hit then heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchins View Post
              I think these changes will fit within the new encounters in TBC, but also reinforce the need for healing assignments in current raids. Instead of having to watch 40 bars, just watching 2-3 groups isn't so bad. Also, from some of the reading I've done on forums of guilds who clear Naxx, the healers have been saying for awhile that the best way to heal is to watch the fight and see who is taking damage, and who will soon be taking damage. I've taken that approach lately, and it works well with the exception of AE heavy fights where everyone is getting hit. Those observations just reinforce my thinking that TBC will be content where healing isn't just watching life bars, but watching the battle and responding. Its very easy to see a mob running to someone and knowing they will soon need a heal rather than waiting for them to get hit then heal.
              I fully agree...but with a full 40 on-screen...and RLs moving ppl around within parties...and "fuzzy" healing assignments...it's challenging. Smaller parties are much more fun and rewarding because "tracking" isn't the challenge, but smart play and timely, efficient healing are!
              Beep

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchins View Post

I hope so... I've been using Grid and I do like it alot. However since that patch you have to look at bars for decursing and for healing in 40 mans now since you can no longer use the two tools that use to free us up from that. People can say things like those mods were a crutch and that's their opinion. And since Blizz has made it so you can't use them there's no sense in a huge debate about whether they were or not. The fact is those tools aren't available anymore. But hopefully smaller groups and new content will alleviate some of the suckage.
                Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Beep, I have found that using clique (mod that allows you to tie mouse clicks + another button to spells) has made it not that big of a transition for me. Yes I watch the bars more than anything else now, which is tough as a raid leader, but with clique I have been able to decurse very effectively, my healing hasn't decreased that much (slight difference because its not as easy as it was with EM), but I can still do my job effectively.

however I agree whole-heartedly that it pretty much sucks in comparison to what other classes are getting to do during fights.
                  Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

I'm having no problems with the present state of things, reason being I have always be a bar watching, mouse/keyboard clicking fool. And I have lead 10/15 mans doing this, just Ashenhart or Iliana about it. Also ask Ash about me doing this with only 1 action bar, because for the longest time I didn't know about the extra action bars(1 of my noob moments in the game).

Comment

in all honesty.. i never used heal-mods (CliqueHeal-Emergency Monitor-Benecast) because it made the job of a healer very boring.. and ADD-esque (i could have multiple whispers going.. chatting in guild.. and officer chat.. all at the same time.. clicking away)
                      and.. altho i havent played a main-healer role since the patch.. imho.. it would not change the way i played my priest (Note: if i was healy-specced.. strictly healing.. not damaging) to all but one extent.. decursing.. which would be a tad-slower since you would now have to click 2 times (along with actually MOVING the mouse cursor) instead of statiornary-spam-clicking the decursive box (or spamming your keybinding)