Hunter Talent Builds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Talent Builds

Any of you 60's 70's have recommended builds (or links) for different styles of hunters? What plays well at endgame, for levelling, for PvP etc...
    Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Re: Hunter Talent Builds

Originally posted by Jusb View Post
    Any of you 60's 70's have recommended builds (or links) for different styles of hunters? What plays well at endgame, for levelling, for PvP etc...
    Alright I did some research. Still curious what some TG hunters are spec'ed as though and which they recommend...

I'm leaning towards BM (I can manage a pet) and CC (mostly play PvE and groups not so much PVP) wondering what you guys are...

Comment

Alright, first question is "What do you mean by CC?"

Now for the generic answer: Your talent build should reflect your play style.

Honestly? If you try to use a premade talent build you'll only find yourself discontent and unhappy with what you choose and crippling your possible potential. If you tailor your character towards your play style you will be able to improve what you do or compensate what you don't do well. You should pick talents that you find important and not because someone else said they're important.

Now if you want to generalize the talents then the Beast Mastery tree (BM) will empower your pet significantly and yourself to a minor extent.
      The Marksman tree (MM) will empower your ranged damage significantly, but not affect your pet significantly (pets get a fraction of your Ranged Attack Power so they gain some AP).
      The Survival tree (Sur) will improve your ability to control the flow of battle and, believe it or not, survivability, but won't improve your pet at all and your damage only to a minor extent.

Of course there are pros and cons to each and every tree build.

If you go primarily with the BM tree your pet will be strong and you will gain some power as well, however if your pet dies you are effectively deprived of the majority of your talents and will be crippled.

If you go primarily with the MM tree your personal damage will be extremely high and you will do well in situations where you have someone acting as a tank to keep the mob at range. However you are weaker in melee than a BM or Sur hunter and have a weaker pet than a BM hunter tanking for you which can limit the amount of ranged damage you can do before pulling aggro below the potential give you by talents.

If you go primarily with the Sur tree your traps and escape/control abilities will be top notch, but your damage will be subpar since you don't have the increased pet damage of a BM hunter or the increased personal damage of a MM hunter. In fact, you'll only be able to utilize a good deal of your later talents only if the fight lasts a significant length of time so you'll kill things much slower and with some difficulty because you still rely on your pet to tank.

You should also start thinking long term when it comes to talents. Having a super powerful pet with full BM talents won't serve you at all if your pet is two shotted by an area affect spell from a boss or elite mob. Having extremely good burst and ranged damage won't do you much if you're constantly pulling aggro and getting forced into melee. Having strong traps and control abilities will be pretty pointless if you're only fighting a single mob.

As for what I picked? This is my current build.

I'm a full MM hunter because I tend to like running instances and with a dedicated druid/paladin/warrior tank you can unload your full potential without pulling aggro if you're good at judging aggro generation.

Why I picked the talents I did?

Hawk Eye for 6 extra range to bump my max range to 41 yards. Since most Area Affects max out at 35 or 40 yards, having that extra range means I can avoid some nasty spells without dancing around to avoid them.

The improve pet health and armor helps my pet off tank in instance runs and I found improved revive critical in the outland instances where you're thrown into events that are crammed with action without a breather in betwee. Improved outdoors speed means my pet gets to mobs a little quicker when farming and grinding outdoors, but I still don't use dash/dive to conserve focus. Focus fire was one of my first talents because the +2% damage means more personal damage as a MM hunter.

Imp Concussive shot is my nod towards the fact that I like to PvP occasionally to mix things up. Even if its uncontrolable, the 3 second stun is very nice when it happens. Lethal shots is an extra 5% crit at ranged which almost every hunter finds crucial to any build. Imp Mark is another choice I made because I like running instances because giving my party another extra 110 AP helps kill things faster. Aimed shot is linked to Mortal shots which increases your ranged crits from x2 to x2.3 which is pretty significant in the long run. Scattershot is the first hunter counterspell and handy for escape and small scale controling situations. Barrage and Imp Barrage contribute a significant amount of damage in groups since using a stronger Volley to assist AoE targets means the mobs go down faster and multishot is probably the single strongest spell we have in our arrsenal in terms of cost:benefit. Combat Experience increases my Agility and Intel which is handy to get the most out of my gear. Master Marksman and Careful Aim both increase my Ranged Attack Power and, to an extent, my pet's AP so they're good for boosting my potentail damage. Ranged Weapon Spec increases all my damage at ranged by 5% and in effectively almost 5% crit over time. Silencing shot is another nod towards PvP and rather effective in stopping spells as the second spell counter in the MM Tree.
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I know I am no where near the conventional hunter, I am trying things a bit differently and so far I have met a good deal of success.

Blastcap's level 70 Build

I have built Blastcap around Attack Power first, AGI second. The reason for this is that I seem to be able to find higher attack power items than AGI items, and as such, as an alt who pretty much wears quest rewards and greens, It seemed like an easier way to do it.

I also have enjoyed the Beastmaster talents, the stun and group increases (feral inspiration is great) as well as the Health/AC/Damage/Attack Speed bonuses, I feel like its a very good build. In 5 mans, my cat pet makes a darn good offtank as well, surpisingly, much more so than I expected.

Yeah, go ahead and call me a noob, it has worked for me. :)
        Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Yeah the pet is a great tank but I have the feeling they scaled growl back in strength a little bit from the progression it was following. With the level 60 growl at level 60 my pet could off tank in ZG with no problem against a whole raid of level 60 people.

With the level 70 growl I pull aggro using autoshot and AoTH/TSA. (-.-; )

You could go really crazy and have some fun with a survival build too for instance love and crowd control.

Clever Traps makes your freezing trap last 26 seconds instead of 20.
          Resourcefulness makes your trap cooldown 24 seconds instead of 30.
          2/5 Beast Lord set makes your trap cooldown 20 instead of 24.

Having 26 second traps on a 20 second timer with Wyvern Sting lasting 12 seconds on a 2 minute timer and Readiness on a 5 minute timer to get another wyvern sting and trap means you could keep at least 3 mobs occupied in a group setting for a period of time between traps, stings, and your pet. That's better than any other class out there with the warlock coming in second due to pet offtank and banish for elementals/demons.

You really can't go wrong with talents if you pick talents that affect your play style.
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys - very helpful...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X