Spellsurge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spellsurge

I did a little digging and according to some theorycrafters the Spellsurge enchant effectively adds about 8.3mp5 for everyone in the group - which appears to be based on it procing every 50 seconds. The "cooldown" seems to be somewhere between 30 and 50 seconds - don't know if anyone knows an official word on that. It can stack up to 5 times for a group (if everyone in the group had a weapon with it on).

I was very pleased with the mana return from Hion having it. For damage casters some form of damage (+40, Soulfrost, etc.) is still better, but for healers, at least those that are already way up there in the +healing department this is the bomb.
    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
    Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
    ...and other distractions of various levels.

Re: Spellsurge

Poked around a little more and did my own digging.

The tooltip states the enchant has a 3% chance to give 100 mana over 10 seconds at a rate of 10 mana per second.

In reality that 3% is the rate if you were to use instant cast spells observing a global cooldown only. The longer the cast time of a spell, the higher the chance to proc is. Additionally there is a 50 second hidden cooldown between procs on every instance of this enchant present. So yes, dual wielding shamans chucking lightning can have the enchant proc twice for them if both weapons are enchanted. Additionally the rate is not calculated per spell cast but spell hit per spell cast. Meaning if you Flame Striked 10 mobs it would count as 10 seperate casts on the inital hit and Prayer of Healing would be 5 seperate casts. Prayer of Mending would only hit once since there is only a single initial hit and the jumps could be considered part of the spell affect.

Having one person with the enchant will be of middling benefit to the group and you might be better off with a straight healing/damage enchant instead (Average 'long fight' in Karazhan for Illidan is 6 minutes so with a 50 second cooldown you will get about 600-700 mana from the enchant).

Having two people with the enchant will start to see some added benefit.

Having 3-5 people with the enchant will definately make it worth wild since You will get 600-700 mana per enchant to the whole group for 3000-3500 mana over the course of the fight to everyone with 5 enchants (free pot!).

Saddly hunters use physical class spells so while we do cast our abilities nothing would be considered a 'spell hit'. Alternatively, rogue poison application is counted as a spell cast/spell hit so they could proc spellsurge at the 3% rate per poison proc (since poison is instant cast). But honestly, try to convince a rogue to dual wield spellsurge and they will laugh at you.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Manners [item]Light's Justice[/item] is now enchanted with Spellsurge. That's two healers with it in our regular healing group. Now we just need to convince 'The Wint', and we'll be kickin.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

What I've been reading on a few of the various forums sites seems to indicate the proc rate is substantially higher than the 3% indicated. Thottbot apparently has it listed at a 15% proc rate. (I haven't verified this myself, only going off what others have posted). And most people that are posting about the enchant are saying that it procs about 50% of the time everytime the unstated cooldown is up (30-50 seconds depending on various people's posts).

For a six minute fight (assuming it does proc once per minute) that's 600 mana back for everyone in the group. Our KZ group is usually 3 healers, myself, and a mage. That's 3k mana back total.

I wouldn't argue that for some healers, especially ones that don't have a very high +healing already, that the +81 healing enchant would be better. Also, for damage casters I would imagine that +damage enchants would still be better. But at some point you probably reach a point where +healing isn't getting really getting you much results.

Aside from the theorycrafting - the mana situation of our group in the Prince fight last night was amazing. I can't attribute this all to the enchant, but between that and Max judging wisdom no one had any issues at all.
        Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
        Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
        ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

We'll find out tonight on (omfgthisfightisgoingtotakeall)Nightbane.

I think that Manny has enough healing to justify Spellsurge. \/

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

FWIW...you won't see any dual wielding shaman chucking lightning :P. so throw that out

Brought to you by General Mills... Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
            BY FIBER BE PURGED!! TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
            TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS

Comment

I dunno...there are some pretty stupid people out there. You'll probably see as many dual wielding lightning chuckers as you'll see rogues having double spellsurge enchants hoping for poison procs. ^_^

And I think I already covered the 3% listed rate. That's the rate for an instant spell against one target. With longer cast times and multiple targets that rate could be quite impressive. An example would be an Arcane Explosion (3% due to instant) against 33 targets would have a 99% chance to proc in theory.

Using 1.5 cast spells (flash of light, flash heal, etc) people are saying 10% and with 2.5 cast spells people are saying 15%.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

We use Spellsurge a lot in our raid group as most boss fights are the 8-10 minute variety so mana conservation and regen is of prime importance. MOst paladins and priests have it and when you couple these healers with some shammies and a couple of shadow priests your mana issues reduce massively. I am fortunate enough for my main to have this recipe, so I am quite busy enchanting most of the healers for different guiulds on our server. It is very highly recommended, even after the alleged nerf in 2.1.

TL.
                -=[dMw]=-TeaLeaf
                deadmen.co.uk
                Vanilla cleared in vanilla. TBC cleared in TBC.
                Heroic WotLK cleared. Awaiting Cataclysm.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post
                  Now we just need to convince 'The Wint', and we'll be kickin.
                  'The Wint' might just do that....
                  70 Priest

Comment

Originally posted by Wintrow View Post
                    'The Wint' might just do that....
                    Bitchin.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X