Warlock macros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warlock macros

Thought I'd start a separate thread to post macros that we find helpful.

(1) Using items with long cooldowns effectively

One key to maximizing DPS is to make sure you use your abilities every time the cooldown is up. Things like trinkets and Amplify Curse are a pain to manage manually...it's pretty easy to not notice the cooldown is up and lose the DPS potential. I use a couple of macros to try to use them whenever I cast a particular spell. The macros look complicated because of some junk to keep you from getting the "Item not ready" message on your screen every time.

(1a) Automatic Amplify Curse of Agony

#showtooltip Curse of Agony
    /script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Amplify Curse
    /stopcasting
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Curse of Agony

(1b) Automatic trinket on Shadow Bolt

#showtooltip Shadow Bolt
    /script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /use 13
    /stopcasting
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Shadow Bolt

The "/use 13" assumes you have a trinket with a "Use" capability in your first trinket slot. If you have it in your second trinket slot, use "/use 14" instead. If you have two usable trinkets, then you can just add a "/use 14" line after "/use 13" to attempt to use whichever trinket is cool.

(2) Focus Banish

It's nice to be able to re-banish something without having to target it again, so you can keep nuking your primary target. The following macro establishes your current target as your focus the first time you cast it, and subsequently re-banishes the focus target.

/focus [target=focus,exists,nodead] focus; target
    /cast [target=focus,harm,nodead] Banish

You will want to have a

/clearfocus

macro set up as well and bound to an easy key to use, so that you can switch targets. I use the "mouse wheel up" function for this.

(3) Announce what you're doing

When doing something the party/raid may need to know about, you can macro it to announce:

/script local C; if(GetNumRaidMembers()==0) then C="PARTY" else C="RAID" end SendChatMessage("Summoning Cookie Jar, please assist", C)
    /cast Ritual of Souls

(4) One button to either wand or use your spellstone

If you PvP a lot, chances are you have a spellstone in your wand slot. Rather than waste one key binding on Shoot and another on the spellstone, use one key for whichever you have active:

/cast [equipped:Wand] Shoot; Master Spellstone

(5) Safe bandage

Tired of accidentally bandaging other people? Replace your bandage icon with this:

/use [target=player] Heavy Netherweave Bandage

That's all I have for the moment. Please add your favorites to this thread!

Gnopaine - Level 70 Warlock (Affliction)
    Scarpia (aka Edbane) - Level 70 Paladin (Holy)
    Ripoffron - Level 1 Auction House Hustler

Re: Warlock macros

Originally posted by Gnopaine View Post
    (2) Focus Banish

It's nice to be able to re-banish something without having to target it again, so you can keep nuking your primary target. The following macro establishes your current target as your focus the first time you cast it, and subsequently re-banishes the focus target.

/focus [target=focus,exists,nodead] focus; target
    /cast [target=focus,harm,nodead] Banish

You will want to have a

/clearfocus

macro set up as well and bound to an easy key to use, so that you can switch targets. I use the "mouse wheel up" function for this.
    This is the macro I'm using for focus banish...

#showtooltip
    /clearfocus [button:2]
    /focus [target=focus, dead];[target=focus,noexists]
    /stopmacro [target=focus, noexists]
    /cast [target=focus] Banish

If you click it (or key it) it will focus on current target (unless you have focus already) and cast banish.
    The next time you click it, it will cast banish on your focused target.
    If your focused target is dead or despawned your focus will be cleared.
    Clear focus by right-clicking it...thinking of changing that though...
    I'm a newb when it comes to macros but I managed to make this one at least ^^

Btw, this is my toon http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...lp&n=Merciless.
    Yeah, I only have Kara gear, but our guild progress for the 2.5 weeks that has passed since it was formed is
    Kara: cleared
    Gruul: cleared
    Magth: cleared
    Ssc: All but Vashj down, we killed Leotheras tonigth and will go for Vashj tomorrow.
    Eye: Void reaver down, Al'ar on 8%.

So we've made pretty decent progress and I'm saving dkp for t5 and void star talisman to spec demo :)
    Last edited by Pompa; 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM.
    Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Code:
      #showtooltip <skill/item>
      I think that's my favorite macro line since it preserves cooldowns and skill information on your bar when you do a hover.

Code:
      /script local C; if(GetNumRaidMembers()==0) then C="PARTY" else C="RAID" end SendChatMessage("<text>", C)
      Now THAT is interesting to know. Right now I use a redundant check message for 5-man and raid use on key skills.
      Code:
      /p <text>
      /raid <text>
      Takes less lines, but its a pain having it spammed to party and raid in raids.

Do you know of any way to disable to verbal "That item is not ready" message along with the text one? UI_Error_Message only works on the red text and I still get voice spammed.
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
        Do you know of any way to disable to verbal "That item is not ready" message along with the text one? UI_Error_Message only works on the red text and I still get voice spammed.
        Hm, I don't get the voice messages, so I must have them disabled. I believe you can disable the voice error messages using the Audio options on the main menu, if I remember right.

Comment

I will be adding some of these macros to my action bars! Thanks for the great information.

Silchar (70 Retribution Paladin)
          Lightshow (70 Holy Priest)
          Wetstone (70 Marksman Hunter)

"Never forget-the higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Hm, I don't get the voice messages, so I must have them disabled. I believe you can disable the voice error messages using the Audio options on the main menu, if I remember right.
            I verified this last night. Uncheck "Error Speech" on the audio options.

Comment

much like your banish macreo i have one for shackle that will prob work for banish as well

Code:
               #showtooltip Shackle Undead
              /cast [target=focus,nomodifier:shift][modifier:shift] Shackle Undead
              /stopmacro [target=focus,exists,nodead,nomodifier:shift]
              /run SetRaidTarget("target",6)
              /focus [target=focus,noexists][target=focus,dead]

all this says is (if your raid leader) put the blue square raid target over your targets head, focus that target and dont clear focus unless told to do so, if the current target is still alive you cant unfocus from it and accidently focus on another, you shackle it, and keep it checkled untell it is either A: dead or B: /clearfocus

heres my 1 button boss macro (mainly used on gruuls/mags or any boss with enough life to take long for a shadow priest to solo LOL)

Code:
              #showtooltip Vampiric Touch
              /castsequence reset=combat/target Vampiric Touch,  Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, vampiric touch, Shadow Word: Pain, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, mind flay
              the cool thing is the icon changes as you go through the abilities, the reason i had it spam mindflay 5 times then vamp touch and sw: pain is ive ben studying how many MF it takes before VT is down, its usually between 5-6 and since sw: pain is slightly longer i just through it in there so i always keep em both refreshed

and i know alot of you where askin how i set a raid target with a macro this is it:
              Code:
              /run SetRaidTarget("target",6)
              the 6 represents the icon
              1: Star
              2: Circle
              3: Diamond
              4: Triangle
              5: Moon
              6: Square
              7: X
              8: Skull
              Last edited by Xyris; 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM.
              Tip: If you're dumb like me to add a item link in a post type out [item]Item Name Here[/item]

Quote Of The Month
              "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip the bird."

RAWR!!!

Xyris: 70 Shadow Priest
              Faeron: 64 Beast Mastery Hunter

Comment

Xyris, I thought that castsequence could only hold 3 spells...did they change it?

Comment

ya, it works for me
                  Tip: If you're dumb like me to add a item link in a post type out [item]Item Name Here[/item]

Quote Of The Month
                  "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip the bird."

RAWR!!!

Xyris: 70 Shadow Priest
                  Faeron: 64 Beast Mastery Hunter

Comment

As a fellow affliction warlock (my alt, Pyatt), your shadow bolt macro confused me for a second. My approach is to always try to pop my spell dmg trinkets before throwing up my DOTs to maximize the damage that is ticking before moving on to a few shadow bolts before I lose the buff. I haven't done the math or anything, but it seems to me that you'd be wasting some of you dmg trinket buff by only using it on a spell that has a 2.5 sec cast (assuming you have the destro talent).

What are your thoughts on this?

Also, your amp curse macro is a must in my opinion. I also have one to amp my curse of doom on those rare occasions that it is useful (i.e. curator). Same macro code, just replace agony with doom.
                    70 Priest

Comment

Originally posted by Wintrow View Post
                      As a fellow affliction warlock (my alt, Pyatt), your shadow bolt macro confused me for a second. My approach is to always try to pop my spell dmg trinkets before throwing up my DOTs to maximize the damage that is ticking before moving on to a few shadow bolts before I lose the buff. I haven't done the math or anything, but it seems to me that you'd be wasting some of you dmg trinket buff by only using it on a spell that has a 2.5 sec cast (assuming you have the destro talent).

What are your thoughts on this?

Also, your amp curse macro is a must in my opinion. I also have one to amp my curse of doom on those rare occasions that it is useful (i.e. curator). Same macro code, just replace agony with doom.
                      Good question. Yes, the Shadow Bolt macro is meant as an example. I also have the trinket enabled on my Corruption spell, which is the first DoT I pop in almost all raid circumstances. (It starts the Shadow Embrace debuff on the mobs, and also sets up my DoT rotation to minimize the number of times more than one DoT expires at once. Corruption is also my most powerful DoT with my spec.)

The reason I also have it on Shadow Bolt is that typically I cast Shadow Bolt between 3 and 5 times between Corruption applications, depending on what else is going on. In mid-fight, it's more important to get the trinket cooldown started than to try to micromanage which DoT to apply it to. The key to maximum DoT damage on a long fight is to reapply them as soon after they expire as possible, but no sooner (so you get that last tick you already paid for). In mid-fight, I will typically be alternating a Shadow Bolt with whichever DoT reapplication is needed at that moment, so having the trinket applied to Shadow Bolt works well for me.

By the way, as far as I can tell, trinkets apply to DoTs in an all-or-nothing fashion. That is, if the trinket is active when you cast the DoT, all ticks of the DoT will receive the benefit, even if the trinket expires part way through. On the flip side, when you activate the trinket, subsequent ticks of previously cast DoTs don't seem to get the benefit. Is that what others have noticed?

Very good point about having an Amp Doom macro. I hardly ever use Doom except on fights like Curator where you can time it for the huge damage (and survive the aggro spike). But I have the Amplify Curse macro on it for those few times I do use it. And on the Curator fight, I drag the regular Curse of Agony spell down to the button I normally have macroed, so I don't waste the Amplify on an accidental Agony button press.

(Side note on CoA vs. CoD: There has been a lot of theorycrafting that "proves" that Curse of Doom is better than Curse of Agony. Reality is more complicated. If you're an affliction lock with CoA maximized through talents, simulations will show that CoD still does very slightly more damage than CoA over a long fight. But this assumes that you always get the full benefit of each CoD you cast. Any CoD cast within the last 59 seconds of the fight provides exactly zero damage. Furthermore, in a 25-man raid, the chances are pretty high of having your CoD knocked off of the mob before it goes off. Once again it's a waste of possible damage. Finally, CoD is spiky damage, and therefore spiky aggro. It'll get you killed, and that really gimps your damage. So don't listen to the theorycrafters. Use good ol' reliable CoA. :) )

Comment

By the way, as far as I can tell, trinkets apply to DoTs in an all-or-nothing fashion. That is, if the trinket is active when you cast the DoT, all ticks of the DoT will receive the benefit, even if the trinket expires part way through. On the flip side, when you activate the trinket, subsequent ticks of previously cast DoTs don't seem to get the benefit. Is that what others have noticed?

When I was affliction i noticed the same thing, if i poped a trinket before casting dots they did more damage the whole duration, but would not get any benifit if i poped the trinket after they were up.

Tarma: 80 Enhancement Shaman | Koliana: 70 Balance Druid
                        Salelen: 70 Discipline Priest | Jadrek: 70 Arcane Mage
                        Kerowhyn: 67 Retribution Paladin | Talenoth: 69 Unholy Death Knight
                        Caldac: 60 Beast Master Hunter | Kamina: 58 Protection Warrior
                        Celendra: 45 Combat Rogue

I had it all! I had it all and then I lost it. Lost... all gone... like... my mind. My mind is like... cheese. I like cheese.

Comment

Ya, I think of it like the DOT dmg is set once the DOT is applied. If you have the dmg boost active when you cast it, then the DOT you place remembers that. The DOT that has already been cast is already ticking away and no longer pays attention to anything you change on your end.
                          70 Priest

Comment

There is or used to be a glitch with healing type trinkets for druids. Our lifebloom can be renewed if cast again before it ends or "blooms". If we were to pop the trinket with +heal and then cast lifebloom x3 and keep it up the whole fight without letting it bloom, it would keep the trinket's +heal through the entire fight...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X