Just hit Outland... what now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just hit Outland... what now?

So my main, a Hunter, is now level 61 and arrowing his way through Hellfire, and I just want to know, what should I be doing now? Endgame is coming up quick, and I want to be ready.

I'm not much of a fan of PvP [I do enjoy a good game, but it's not what I want to do all day], but I want to be geared and ready to roll when it comes raid time.

What should my progression be as far as gear [so far I've got a mix of the Felscale leatherworking gear, some quest rewards, and "of the Bandit" gear], instances/raids, quest chains, etc.

In the past I've just rushed through tons of quests to level as fast as possible, but I'm guessing now's the time to get ready for when I can't level anymore.

Re: Just hit Outland... what now?

Short answer:
    1. Do all the quests. By the time you run out of quests in an area, you'll have leveled and gotten some decent gear appropriate for your level.
    2. Run the instances (you'll get gear and needed rep).
    3. Rinse and repeat...Hellfire Peninsula->Zangarmarsh->Terrokar/Bone Wastes->Nagrand->Blood's Edge Mountains->Netherstorm->Shadowmoon Valley

Don't worry about buying a lot of gear because you'll be upgrading normally every 2-3 levels.

At level 70, you enter a whole new game...heroic instances and Karazhan.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I skipped all the instances trying to level up as fast as possible to 70. I hit it before I finished netherstorm. I'm pretty badly undergeared at this point (respecced to resto), so my suggestion would be to hit the appropriate instances to scale your gear along with your level. Not to mention getting the rep you'll need to get kara and heroics.

This graph is helping me a lot to plan what I need to do. There doesn't seem to be many in guild that aren't keyed for kara, so if you see me on I'm happy to do the normal instances with you.
      New to TG?

Comment

I made squid's mistake with the second 70 I leveled, and regret it even now...I heavily recommend instancing at least once for each instance as you get high enough to do them. It nto only provides a great source of XP, loot, and rep but also teaches you how to play your class as you're leveling up. I see waaaay too many people hit 70 and immediately go into heroics with poor gear and not knowing how to play their class. Trust me, that will not get you invited back!

I'd say it goes without saying, but the most important thing to do is to have fun, and most importantly enjoy the outlands environment and flavor. It really is quite beautiful, and I personally enjoy it quite a bit.

Cheers,

Aestryd 80 Prot Pally / Epimetheus 70 Feral Druid / Yuusei 74 Enhancement Shaman
        Camsmule 70 Fury/Prot Warrior / Tamrissa 70 Affliction Warlock / Aegyn 70 Holy Priest
        Shyff 70 Arcane Mage / Indrus 62 Combat Rogue

Comment

There doesn't seem to be many in guild that aren't keyed for kara, so if you see me on I'm happy to do the normal instances with you.
          x2. I'm still in the process of leveling up, and I'm more than willing to do instances as well.

Cheers & welcome to TG xylotism.

Comment

Cool, looks like some good intel.

@beep - That's what I've been doing so far, so I guess I'm not doing too bad.
            @Squid - Interesting chart. I'll keep an eye on that, and try to get into instances every level or two.
            @Aegyn - I'm definitely enjoying the "flavor". For a giant desert in space, Hellfire's got some cool points, and from what I've seen while wandering Terrokar, the rest feel pretty cool too.

Comment

It should be noted that there is a split after you reach Shattrah and you can choose between BEM or Nagrand and again between SMV and Netherstorm. Both zones are aproximately the same level tier. Actually HFP and Zanger are also very similar except Zanger goes up a few extra levels higher.

Netherstorm and BEM are both so much easier to do when you have a flying mount of course.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

There's also the issue of farming rep for a particular area, and the better rep return on quests if you do them at the end of your farming. For example, if you need HH rep, you might skip Hellfire until you've farmed a bunch of rep from running Ramparts, and do the quests last.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Reputation#Ga...ing_reputation
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

That is true.

In HFP if you were to farm rep by continuously running instances and not doing a single quest before hitting honored (when you stop getting regular instance rep) then if you do all the quests in the area you'll be halfway through revered on to exalted.

However in Zangarmarsh if you grind rep in the instances before doing the cenarion quests you'll still be honored because the repeatable quests also cut off at honored. Its actually a toss up if its better to do the repeatable turn in quests for rep over doing the instance.

Mana Tombs will give you Consortium rep and if you grind the instance to honored before doing Consortium rep you'll make revered easily, but its only one instance and the bulk of Consortium rep will be gained from quests in Netherstorm and Nagrand. Nagrand also has repeatable rep quests (notably the easy to do crystal turn in) that cuts off at honored.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Well, I'm level 67 now and playing through Nagrand...

I went Hellfire -> Zangarmarsh -> Terokkar -> Nagrand.

I've also been running a LOT of instances, so far I've done Ramparts, Blood Furnace, Underbog [didn't finish], Slave Pens, Mana Tombs, and Auchenai Crypts... and I've done every one at least twice, aside from UB and SP. I've picked up a few nice pieces of gear, too.

It's been zooming by pretty quickly... I haven't done much rep grinding, but I'm quickly moving toward 70, and I figure that's my best opportunity to do all that stuff [farming, basically]

I really like that some of the better instance drops are on par with the lvl 70 epic PvP gear... just means I don't have to go crazy grinding honor... but I have been doing the dailies... daily, so I should be able to buy a piece or two once I hit 70, as a supplement to the other stuff I have...

It feels weird to be near endgame already... a month or two ago it seemed like forever away, yet here I am on my epic mount, hanging out in Shatt with all the Kara raiders...killing level 70 warlocks in AV.

Then I'll have to go and do it all again. :P

EDIT: Oh, and I've currently got a pretty screwed up talent spec, but I'm going to change it pretty soon to a 44/14/3 setup, which should be nice.
                    Last edited by xylotism; 03-23-2008, 02:11 AM.

Comment

BTW, something makes me cringe inside when I see that as a level 67 hunter you only have 874 RAP and 13.47% crit.

Also, for some odd reason, you have more MAP than RAP which is just plain puzzling. Ah well, not my concern since I just realized you're in a different guild and on a different server. ^_^

Comment

I'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve dismal stats. Here's my comparable hunter:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/ch...halas&n=Sonata

She feels gutless but I don't know what to do about it.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well I would say just 'level to 70' first and then work from there. You can improve your stats significantly by hitting instances and getting the recolored T2 loot or D3 starting at level 68, but before that its a toss up. One thing you can look into doing is getting a [item]Bladefist's Breadth[/item] out of HFP. Its the last quest in a chain on the northern side of the area. Most people just trip over the quest chain and others seem to skip in in their haste to get through the area. Quite a handy trinket that I still use now.

Comment

Originally posted by xylotism View Post
                            Well, I'm level 67 now and playing through Nagrand...
                            grats on 70!
                            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                              BTW, something makes me cringe inside when I see that as a level 67 hunter you only have 874 RAP and 13.47% crit.

Also, for some odd reason, you have more MAP than RAP which is just plain puzzling. Ah well, not my concern since I just realized you're in a different guild and on a different server. ^_^
                              Hah, well if I were still 67, I'd love to explain that [probably just lack of decent gear on my part], but yes, I've now hit 70 [a few days ago, actually] and replaced most of my gear... out of comparison though, I've only gone up about 200 in RAP, and 5% crit...and my MAP is still higher than RAP. I'm not sure that's a big difference, but PvP still seems to be pretty easy for me [as it has been since my 50s or so], and I have no problem in instances. But eh, I don't know nothin' 'bout the numbers. I just stick to my AGI, AP, Crit, Hit, Stam, Resil.

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                              Well I would say just 'level to 70' first and then work from there. You can improve your stats significantly by hitting instances and getting the recolored T2 loot or D3 starting at level 68, but before that its a toss up. One thing you can look into doing is getting a [item]Bladefist's Breadth[/item] out of HFP. Its the last quest in a chain on the northern side of the area. Most people just trip over the quest chain and others seem to skip in in their haste to get through the area. Quite a handy trinket that I still use now.
                              I've had my eye on that trinket since getting to Outland... I tried with a Warrior friend around level 68 or so, and we just couldn't finish the job. I could probably try again now if I ask a guildie. I've also picked up one of my D3 pieces so far, and three pieces of the new Rep PvP gear [which is pretty nice in PvE too, just the resil doesn't do much].

BUT I also got hacked [the second time!] a few days ago so I'm currently rebuilding some gold via dailies.

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                              grats on 70!
                              Thanks! Got my flyer too!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse