Homefront Impressiions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homefront Impressiions

I've asked for a separate forum to discuss this game, we'll see but in the meantime I thought it would be nice to start a thread of impressions.

The single player was a bonus I wasn't expecting after participating in the closed beta test for the game. I was looking at this for the multiplayer and impressed with the depth of field and the quality of the action. The maps are rich full worlds with lots of angles and lanes and rewards team effort. Assault9 and I rocked one objective with a HumVee and managed to take out half a dozen infantry and a HumVee before we finally took an RPG in the face. Great fun!

I like the game. Now if you do, please add to this.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Re: Homefront Impressiions

Yea I am really enjoying it so far. Only major issue I have right now is snipers. I think there rate of fire is to great, that a decent person with one can either easily pick your head or do a quick double shot and get the kill. I am finding that probably a good chuck of my deaths are by snipers. Might be easier to counter if I am on servers with more teamwork though.

Other than that, the battlepoints system is a nice change other than the randomly spawning tanks, or teammates taking the tank from you.

Comment

I am enjoying it a lot, a big change from the normal Project Reality gaming. I will surely be playing this quite a bit and for once in a long time, am happy with a PC Game purchase.

Comment

I have limited play time but I have to agree with the above sniper comments. (wish a game would come out without that kit) I like the amount of rounds it takes to kill....seems to be the sweet spot. I did not have a chance to test the VOIP. I'm a little bummed that I cant play it on 1080 res :(. The engine is old, but it almost feels a little like BF2 with updated looks and maps....which is a WIN. Is there any way to spawn on squad? or no?
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Pros

1. Server Browser - A server browser that is actually 95% functional on release day, who would have thought that possible? :D Updates and refreshes are quick to load, you can enter an IP address manually and if a server is running Battle Commander it's clearly marked on the side. I haven't tried the favorites option yet and so far the Friends tab that shows if your Steam friends are playing isn't working.
          2. Prone - Finally, we can go prone again after several major game developers telling us that it wasn't a necessary option. Setting up with a machine gun to defend a capture point or locating an overwatch area as a sniper while in prone is great.
          3. Weapon Damage - Every weapon can kill easily so there's no need to empty an entire clip into someone from behind and have them one shot you. Having said that, I haven't tried any of the sidearms yet.
          4. Drones - These are things are great! I had a blast chasing around an enemy Hummer last night with the ground assault drone which turned the Hummer into swiss chesse. The crew tried to bail out and was gunned down before they could escape.
          5. Maps - The maps are very large with multiple routes on the ground, through buildings and even on top via ladder access. I have yet to see any part of a map where you're given a warning message across the HUD that you've gone too far and have to return.
          6. Map Intermission - At the conclusion of each map you'll be sent to a lobby area for 30 seconds before the next map starts where you can reconfigure your loadout or class. I don't know if you can use the squad VOIP to talk with people here as they do display every player with a microphone next to their name. Also, you can't chat here which is something that should be added.
          7. Slower Pace - It's a nice departure from the run and gun attitude that's become pervasive in a number of new games. Charging in is a good way to get yourself killed very quickly by somebody who is setup in a defensive position. Cover is important and you'd better hit the deck when the bullets start flying.

Cons

1. Squad System - There isn't much meat here at all. The only benefits so far of joining as squad is that you'll see your squadmate's name highlighted in blue when they are close. You can't spawn directory on them or near them unless one member of your squad has a vehicle, then you can spawn with them in the co-pilot, passenger seat or gunner's seat. We've been throwing around the idea of designating a squad leader to bring in a vehicle and then use it as a mobile spawn point as a workaround.
          2. Team Shuffle - I'm not sure if this is a server setting but when a new map loads after you've been on the server for a bit, some members of one team are swapped to the opposing team which can break up your squad and any momentum you have going.
          3. Mouse Smoothing - Why this is on by default and can only be turned off in the ini file is beyond me. It's not a major problem, but one that should have had an in-game option to disable.
          4. Destruction - After becoming accustomed to BC2 and Breach's destrucable terrain, its a disappointment to find there is no destruction system here.
          5. Map Rounds - They're too short as of now with the team that wins two rounds being declared the victor. Maybe this can be adjusted via a server option though.
          6. Squad VOIP - So far it appears that the system isn't working but I could be wrong. We'll have to run some more tests on this to see how it goes.

In closing I think Homefront is a good game to try if you've had your fill of BC2 and are looking for something else to play between the release of Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad or Battlefield 3. It does have some drawbacks, but if you're willing to overlook those or work around them you'll definitely have some fun with it.

Comment

I was on a server with you last night Bronco, and I agree. This game is most definitely not the best game ever made, but it's far from a flaming piece of crap either. This will "scratch my itch" for a battlefield type game that BC2 couldn't quite reach.

Comment

Hmmmm

no squads + no voip + lots of snipers x team shuffle / old engine = Sorry Charlie

maybe when/if they fix the voip, or lower the price to $15 :)

Comment

Agreed with pretty much everything assault said. Only thing is that I actually find the maps a bit small, but that could just be me.

Also, does anyone else find the that ingame audio is VERY quite. For the most part, speakers, and volume control are at 50% each in most games, but for homefront, I need to turn the speakers up to about 75%, and volume control to 100. All ingame options are set to 100.

Comment

Can anyone else confirm that voip definitely doesn't work? Also, have they released dedicated server files?
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I still have to try VOIP, I couldn't get it to work. However, if it is bugged, I am sure the devs will patch it ASAP. There are dedicated server files out and there are lots and lots of dedicated servers up now.
                    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                      Can anyone else confirm that voip definitely doesn't work? Also, have they released dedicated server files?
                      From everything that I've read the dedicated server files will be released in about two weeks. Most if not all the servers running now are hosted by KAOS or rentals from various GSPs while they continue to test the dedicated server package. RCON tools are already included with the default game with all the usual options that you'd need to run and maintain a server.

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                        I still have to try VOIP, I couldn't get it to work. However, if it is bugged, I am sure the devs will patch it ASAP.
                        Wow...deja vu...thought this was the BC2 forum for a second

Comment

Single Player only....
                          Well.. Just finished up the SP... About 4-5 hrs of gaming... As for Plot and Emotion.. the initial Sequences got me going.. Anger etc.. So thought this would be a great SP experience...and it was ok.. Like COD ok.. One thing I hate about these games is that even though you have a team with you...it seems that the Bad Guys Lock onto you visually like a magnet.. You get to cover and pop your head out..and bam two guys are on you asap.. Kinda weird..
                          Why no corner Fire mode or LEAN? So we get prone but no lean? Hmmm..

Short.. maybe like a Good Movie..it ends to quickly...and really sets it up for a Homefront 2 -3-4 or DLC missions..
                          Had lots of potential....

As for Multiplayer... Will give it a go..and see..

BTW..PROPS to Devs for Using REAL Countries... No Politically Correct Nonsense here..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

MP only:Voip is not working......yet. I spoke with Bronco yesterday and they did have it somewhat during the beta so I am hopeful it will get resolved. It is not a deal breaker though. Compared to the majority of 2010 title launches I was part of it's pretty smooth. Browser is functional, no lag issues that I can see, weapon hit boxes are dialed in.....so all in all it's pretty good. Now to th maps, I am impressed. While there is no destructible environments with this engine, there is well thought out design. On the game mode that is very similar to domination I enjoyed the amount of cover available at the objectives. It was nice to have more than 2 exploding barrels and a sand bag for cover while you are capping the objective. It made the firefights very nice and alleviated the "meatgrinder" affect you seem to get in the BF titles. You had to work as a team and cover shooting lanes to successfully capture the objectives. I like the fact that you have to "earn" the vehicles by building up your in game currency and buying them when you spawn. weapon balance for the most part is spot on....as is the recoil. I wish there was the ability to spawn on your squad....but it alleviates the train affect you have in BC2. In this game when you die they spawn you away from the action....but not so far away that it's a chore to regroup with the team/squad....I kinda like it. I will summarize by saying this. I have spent alot of money on FPS style games on launch day in the last year, by far this is the smoothest launch I have seen in that time. I feel like I have gotten alot more of my moneys worth with this game than I did from games who were produced by giants in the gaming industry.
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

For me it took awhile to get use to the fact that I couldn’t run and gun like I’m use to. This to me gives the impression that it is almost real (Almost). I have not have the thought to play MP as I don't have the time currently with my job and all. But I’m game if anyone wants to play this weekend in a TG squad and see how we do on any server or try to create one ourselves and see if the TG way works in the Game. Who’s up to it?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X