Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portal 2 cheaper at places other than Steam?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal 2 cheaper at places other than Steam?!

So, I'm kinda glad I held off from pre-ordering Portal 2, because I just found out that both Amazon and Best Buy are selling it for $35! Hopefully Steam will knock down their own price some now, because I have really gotten to prefer buying/downloading all my games through Steam. If they don't, it looks like I'll be headed to Best Buy after work tomorrow! :D
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Portal 2 cheaper at places other than Steam?!

I bought from Amazon and paid an extra .99 to get release day shipping. I was planning on waiting until the price dropped on steam, but I couldn't pass on $35
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Many games, including, I believe all valve titles, can be "activated" in steam with just your cd key. But it at amazon or wherever, and activate it on steam. Best of both worlds.

Besides, I'm pretty sure regardless of what you do with a boxed valve game, you'll still have to end up adding it to a new or existing steam account to play it all.

I bought half-life 1 before steam was even a twinkle in gabe newell's eye, and it somehow got linked to my steam account, so I can download it any timer I want.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
        Many games, including, I believe all valve titles, can be "activated" in steam with just your cd key. But it at amazon or wherever, and activate it on steam. Best of both worlds.
        Tis true! I bought a physical copy of the Orange Box, CS:S, and a few others, and I haven't had to use a disk every since the first installation many moons ago. I <3 Steam. I hope Portal 2 ends up being a huge success either way.

Comment

What the what?? I just pre-ordered that game on Steam two days ago... how could bestbuy and amazon undercut VALVE haha??

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
          This is called 'Steamworks'. Games that are based on Steamworks will be fully integrated into your steam account during installation regardless of whether you bought them through Steam, Best Buy, some shady guy in a dark alley. Modern Warfare 2 was an example of this. And obviously ALL valve developed games are steamworks-based.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Well, I got it for 39.99 from Steam, so not a huge deal. Plus I've already got it pre-loaded @ 9GB+.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
              Well, I got it for 39.99 from Steam, so not a huge deal. Plus I've already got it pre-loaded @ 9GB+.
              Steam's currently showing $45 for me. I'll go ahead and save the $10. ;)

Comment

2-pack makes it $39.99.

Comment

Well, never mind. Looks like the sale prices are pretty much over. Might as well get the Steam 2-pack now like UnDeaD.

Comment

Now it's $44.99 each, when you the 2-pack, doh!

Comment

I ended up going to a Best Buy here in SA, where they were selling it for $50. I talked to customer service there to tell them it was cheaper on their website and asked what they could do for me. They ended up selling it to me for $40, AND gave me a $10 gift card. I'm shocked! I've never had that good of a customer service experience there. Props to customer care at BB yesterday! Looks like they've raised the online price to $50 since then.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        I ended up going to a Best Buy here in SA, where they were selling it for $50. I talked to customer service there to tell them it was cheaper on their website and asked what they could do for me. They ended up selling it to me for $40, AND gave me a $10 gift card. I'm shocked! I've never had that good of a customer service experience there. Props to customer care at BB yesterday! Looks like they've raised the online price to $50 since then.
                        Nice negotiating!
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Appears to be on sale this weekend at Gamestop and KMart for $30 on PC.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X