Tribes Ascend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes Ascend

So, I found out today or yesterday that the Tribes Universe is getting kick-started with a new game that is in Alpha testing already (from Hi-Rez Studios, the company that makes Global Agenda). The game is called Tribes Ascend.

http://www.tribesascend.com/

Anyone have further knowledge of this, or know whether this might gain a following amongst the Tactical Gamer user base?

Re: Tribes Ascend

Further knowledge you say? :)

In March of 2009 InstantAciton announced that they had bought the Tribes IP from Activision, and were bringing the original Tribes to the their browser-based platform. I won't get into the details, but this never happened. The company went through a major change and Tribes(along with previous IA games) kept getting pushed back and evenutally canceled when IA was closed in October of 2010.

Hi-Rez announced their Tribes IP ownership a few weeks before IA went down, along with announcing Tribes Universe, an MMO(FPS). Then in March of this year the company announced Tribes: Ascend, which is much more like previous Tribes games(competitive FPS). Tribes Universe is essentially on hold at this point since development on Tribes: Ascend is underway, and currently scheduled for a 2011 release. While it's certainly exciting to see the Tribes franchise get a reboot, some of the details we've been given so far are worrying. The won't have any mod/map making support at launch. The Tribes series, specifically 1 and 2, have survived for over a decade solely thanks to community support(mods, maps, scripts, patches, etc). It's extremely unfortunate to see Hi-Rez ignore the community like this, especially when community support it vital to Tribes.

There are a few other things we're not quite sure about either, such as a credits system. Basically, if you do 'good' stuff in Tribes: Ascend, you're given credits, which can then be used to buy deployables such as turrets and other base assets. Previous Tribes games never really had this, though Tribes 1 did have a credits system in place but wasn't used/enforced. Hi-Rez has also mentioned ranking/leveling, which is another thing Tribes has never had. It really sounds like they're trying to implement modern day FPS elements from the CoD or BF series into Tribes, which may or may not work. Time will tell.

You can listen to some interviews, along with player feedback here: http://www.tribesnetwork.com/apps/podcast/

Comment

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this title.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fixious View Post

The won't have any mod/map making support at launch. The Tribes series, specifically 1 and 2, have survived for over a decade solely thanks to community support(mods, maps, scripts, patches, etc). It's extremely unfortunate to see Hi-Rez ignore the community like this, especially when community support it vital to Tribes.
        How True.. Some Great Mods for the T1/T2 game really kept it fresh.. Great times with this game. The Deployables were cutting edge stuff.. and with the mods, made being something like an Engineer or other NON COMBAT roles fun to play.. I just hope they open it up to mods sooner than later... In order to bring back the glory..they gotta replicate the goodness that was T1/T2..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
          How True.. Some Great Mods for the T1/T2 game really kept it fresh.. Great times with this game. The Deployables were cutting edge stuff.. and with the mods, made being something like an Engineer or other NON COMBAT roles fun to play.. I just hope they open it up to mods sooner than later... In order to bring back the glory..they gotta replicate the goodness that was T1/T2..
          Sad, because this kind of thing was exactly what sunk Tribes 3/Vengeance (not that people talk about Tribes 3). It was the Tribes game I liked the most, too.

However, customization is a double-edged sword. When I tried to pick up Tribes 1 again about 6 years back, it was impossible to find a vanilla server. Every one was running some custom deployable/RPG mod/Starcraft mod/Warcraft RTS mod and it was impossible to read the terminal for play notes because they were always exposed so you got shot when you stood still for 5 seconds. 90% of them became unplayable for me because of things like that, or every server requiring custom keybinds different from the next, etc.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for the updates and feedback :P

Comment

Oh, and apparently they are accepting people for their testing program (alpha/beta?)
              http://www.tribesuniverse.com/account/login.aspx
              or
              http://www.tribesuniverse.com/accoun...ase_trial.aspx

Comment

Gameplay Teaser Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevWde_F-yU
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

And the IGN preview/article:
                  http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1178865p1.html

Comment

Playtesting reports:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comme...s_playtesters/
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Preview videos:

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I like the light spinfusor model, over the heavy one. The heavy one takes up half your screen. I still think the overall weapon models are too large.

Comment

This is relevant to my interests. Beta application submitted.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

http://www.tribesascend.com/faq/

Comment

Closed beta started yesterday.
                              We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games. Anon

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X