Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of rogues...

Strength or Dexterity?

Rogues on NWN are always plagued with which way to focus their character. Normally it would be Str, no questions asked, but with the combat focus of NWN, coupled with the amount of enemies that are immune to crits, the damage potential of such a character is really quite low.

The max attribute you are looking at is around 36 (or 38 if you get a racial bonus), which if applied to strength is +13 before any weapon bonuses. At 3 strikes per round(ish) it is fairly easy to see that a damage difference of 40 (assuming all hit) is a fairly big deal.

However a rogue can be just as good at hitting with a feat such as weapon finesse, and although rogues do not get a lot of feats the presumption is that there will be a multiclass somewhere. Of course if you lower your dex you lower your AC, reflex saves and a lot of skills. But then is an AC of 62 going to do anything against the higher level guys?

I know a lot depends on kit loadout, but there's no point tuning an engine that has cracks in it. Ideas?

Re: A question of rogues...

Yeah, shut up and start enjoying your rogue that actually-sucks-but-at-least-gets-the-treasure-chests-open (and that's important too!)

Sorry, no offence, but I am a player who enjoys the magic of the game, not the statistics ;-)

Comment

Oh, no offence taken at all :)

It's just that I think every other class is pretty intuitive to make (fighters get strenght, wizards intelligence etc), but rogues have this huge dilemma on which way to focus that is kinda unique, and I wondered what others' thoughts were.

Comment

/me swoops in

Dexterity. Hitting hard is good and all, but D&D's system makes GETTING hit a very bad thing, and an AC Dex bonus goes a long way to quelling that.

/me swoops out
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          /me swoops in

Dexterity. Hitting hard is good and all, but D&D's system makes GETTING hit a very bad thing, and an AC Dex bonus goes a long way to quelling that.

/me swoops out
          This is truth.

I usually had a swashbuckler type rouge when I could get the game stable on my system. Strength is good, from a damage aspect, but Dexterity will save your buttocks from getting the hit in in the first place, and avoiding the counter.

Dex+dodge+(two handed*parry)=your friend.

Comment

AC is all well and good until you come up against the nasties with their attack bonuses of 50 or better. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
              AC is all well and good until you come up against the nasties with their attack bonuses of 50 or better. :(
              That's when you use all that DEX and RUN!

Rogues aren't meant to directly attack the bosses. That's for the fighters and barbarians to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X