Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some basic questions to get me up to speed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some basic questions to get me up to speed...

I have some questions that, while I may be able to figure them out on my own with time, perhaps some of you can answer to speed up my learning curve..

Tanks: How else can they be destroyed besides bazooka & air strikes? Do machine guns have any effect on them? Do they take more damage if hit from the rear/top?

Planes: How else can they be destroyed beside AA fire? Do machine guns have any effect on them?

Engineers: What are their explosives used for?

Basically, I am looking for basic information that is not in the manual. Is there a FAQ anywhere that covers issues like this?

Thanks!! :!:

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Some basic questions to get me up to speed...

Originally posted by Tempus
    Tanks: How else can they be destroyed besides bazooka & air strikes? Do machine guns have any effect on them? Do they take more damage if hit from the rear/top?
    grenades... a lot of them. AA cannons are also good for taking out tanks. But you gotta be quick about it. You can also ram a jump into its ass, that will take out a tank also, but its a good chance you will probably die too.

Planes: How else can they be destroyed beside AA fire? Do machine guns have any effect on them?
    Any weapon can kill a plane. I took one down using a sniper rifle one time. As long as you aim for the engine, you do maximum damage to it.

Engineers: What are their explosives used for?
    1) setting up traps: Place a couple around a choke point (bridges work great) and then hide in a building or something and wait for somebody to walk by, then boom. I've taken armies out by doing this (5+ people at a time).

2) Jeep-O-Death: I like filling the back of a jeep with them and run straight at a tank. Just make sure you bail before you get too close to the tank before blowing them. If done right bye bye tank (and anybody else around it), and you will walk away unhurt.

Comment

If you have enough grenades you can blow up a tank. I'd rather run though... :P

You're best off using AA against planes. I don't think anything else affects them and if they did, it's probably better to run to an AA station. Some vehicles might have AA capabilities.

Explosives are for blowing up stuff. You could use them on tanks but I'd rather run for backup or lay mines.

I think the best tip is, "When in doubt, run for backup!" Well, it is for me because I feel like I'm running for help all the time. :D

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Here is a link to some really good guides. I would suggest all TGers read these guides as I've learned a lot from them even after playing the game for a while.

One thing I don't think is in the guides is tactics for using the Engineers Det Packs. In the Objective modes these now hold a new purpose. Some maps have objectives to blow up. Det packs come in real handy for these. Det packs are also great for laying around a flag while you run off to cap another flag. If the enemy tries to take that flag (flag turns grey) just switch to the detonator and BOOM. This will allow you to run back and recapture with no problem.

Dets can also be used in a pinch against tanks. A great tactic is to get in a building and drop them down on top of a tank and BOOM. You can also sneak them under or on them while you are hiding around buildings. It only takes one or two det packs to take a tank out.

Det packs are also handy on infantry. See the enemy coming, drop a pack and hide till you think they are close enough and BOOM. Put some on a bridge or a choke point and wait for the little suckers to come across, BOOOM.

I also like to mix my Det packs in with my mines on bridges on some maps. If the other team is smart, and most aren't, when they see mines on a bridge they will send out the engineers to disarm the mines. Well when the little bastards try to diarm the mine BOOM, set off the det pack laying next to it. Gotta love that one.

Oh and what can take out a tank? Basically anything other than bullets. Grenades, AA Guns, ram by other vehicles, falling down a cliff...
        flux
        [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
          Any weapon can kill a plane. I took one down using a sniper rifle one time. As long as you aim for the engine, you do maximum damage to it.
          I would not suggest trying to take down a plane as a sniper unless you want to get yelled at or killed. As a sniper you want to be hidden. The only way you will be found is by the sound of your gun, if you are playing the role correctly. So if you are shooting at some bird that you MIGHT take down, probably not the best use of your ammo. The plane can't see you so take aim on that enemy soldier taking the flag away from your team and let the guy in the tank gunner or AA gun worry about the plane. This game is all about using the roles as they were intended.

But to enders point, yes anything can take a plane out. They have very weak armor. If you must shoot at a plane with your gun at least make sure you are the Assault class.

And please don't waste your Anti-Tank Rockets on planes. sigh. Yes they will take them out but the likelyhood of hitting one is pretty small. Besides as with snipers you don't want to give away your position since you don't have good weapons against other infantry. And that smoke trail is a really nice marker for where you are. If however you are playing the DC mod the anti-tank class is very handy against Helos and possibly fast movers.

The best weapon besides AA against planes is the main machine gun in tanks or the one on top. You can take a plane down in one pass with these if the plane is coming headon.
          flux
          [tg-c1]

Comment

I noticed no one mention the sams as a way to take down the planes :D

I like the jeep of death most of all for almost any on land destuction. park near a ammo supply point and then keep throwing in the det packs and then go park the jeep on the bridge and wait for the bad guys :D
            I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

Originally posted by [gc]flux
              I would not suggest trying to take down a plane as a sniper unless you want to get yelled at or killed. As a sniper you want to be hidden. The only way you will be found is by the sound of your gun, if you are playing the role correctly. So if you are shooting at some bird that you MIGHT take down, probably not the best use of your ammo. The plane can't see you so take aim on that enemy soldier taking the flag away from your team and let the guy in the tank gunner or AA gun worry about the plane. This game is all about using the roles as they were intended.
              Well yeah, I wouldnt suggest doing it either. But it is fun when you see a plane smoking and you just take pot shots at it with the rifle or the sniper rifle and it blows up. For the rest of the night I was called a cheater..

Comment

Originally posted by OSD
                I like the jeep of death most of all for almost any on land destuction. park near a ammo supply point and then keep throwing in the det packs and then go park the jeep on the bridge and wait for the bad guys :D
                Another great idea is to throw some under one of those trucks that heal you and give you ammo (cant think of the name of them) and then wait for somebody to jump in to heal. Gets them every time..

Comment

Originally posted by OSD
                  I noticed no one mention the sams as a way to take down the planes :D
                  Stingers are your best friend :P

Comment

i cant tell if we're talking about vanilla bf or DC...

anyways, AT missiles do more damage in the rear, some damage in the sides, and least damage in the front of the tank. Always go for the rear if possible.

Comment

You can also ram a jump into its ass, that will take out a tank also, but its a good chance you will probably die too.
                      Does this mean that BF1942 is a gay game like Squarepants Bob is a gay cartoon? ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X