Flying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying

Ok guys, what do you use to fly helos and planes? Joysticks or the mouse/keyboard?

I've read that planes are better with Joystick, and helos with the mouse. True?

Any other tips? I am just starting to get helo flying down with the mouse, but if joystick is better.. :idea:

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

I've used both. I like the Joystick for both helicopter and jet/plane.
    If you use a joystick, make sure you have the ability to twist the handle, this gives you your rudder on helos and planes.

I have a "Wingman Extreme" ......it works like a charm.

Rob

Comment

definitely joystick on both. one thing i was doing wrong at first with helos was going to 3rd person view. you gotta fly them in either F9 views (1st person) otherwise you wont be able to tell the slight movements needed to keep the sucker upright. the trick is to constantly make slight adjustments. and yes, your joystick must have yaw control (twist).

start off in the BlackHawk or the Hind. they are easier to control as they aren't as touchy.
      flux
      [tg-c1]

Comment

I use keyboard/mouse.

Comment

I've found that it's easiest to use a joystick for planes and mouse/keyboard for helos, but I'm still getting used to my brand new joystick...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Joystick a must...wingman extreme...4 years old and awesome. :D
            "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
            "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

i say that joystick is a must for both. Helos are very hard to fly in the beginning, just stick to them and you'll eventually learn. The most important thing with the helo is that every movement you make requires a counter movement to even everything out.

Comment

No kidding! Those things are tough. What usually happens to me is that I end up in a tight spin, kinda like an ice skater. :)

I also have a Wingman Extreme. Do you guys turn the sensitivity down or anything? Just touching the stick makes the damn thing move in some direction or another.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                  No kidding! Those things are tough. What usually happens to me is that I end up in a tight spin, kinda like an ice skater. :)

I also have a Wingman Extreme. Do you guys turn the sensitivity down or anything? Just touching the stick makes the damn thing move in some direction or another.

" Every action has an equal reaction" Make small movements and adjustments. play some single player and practice hovering and landing on top of buildings.
                  Most important...don't fight it. its not a tank...you have to plan your next move before it happens...kinda go with the flow. :?

Comment

I tried a helo yesterday. I upped the throttle and it tilted to the right. I bailed before it crashed. :)

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It's going to take a LOT of practice before you get decent at it. I'm decent at it...I can't really land all that well, but I'm working on it. At first, you're usually going to hit a tight spin in your first 30 seconds of flight, but you learn how to avoid those. Eventually, you will be able to fly pretty decently...

Then comes the landing and hovering maneuvers. But with the rate of respawn on the vehicles, what's the point of trying to land when you could just hop into a new chopper altogether?

Comment

I never see anyone try to land. They just bail out and let the chopper crash. :(

Comment

Exactly. Posting that thought is what made me think about the respawn rate in general. People SHOULD be landing these things. And destroying empty vehicles in the enemy's base would have much more purpose.

Comment

I saw someone land a helo yesterday and it was on a slope at night too. I was quite impressed. We captured the flag and he jumped back in the helo. I can't remember the player's name but he should be a pilot instructor here. :D

- It's who you game with.

Comment

i'm now able to land on the pads in the Sea Rig map. i've been practicing so that i can land the gunship so that the guns are facing in a tactical position so that it can be defended and used to lay down fire while the troops take the flag.

i'm not sure how to tell you to fly one. it's more of a feeling. the only things i would suggest have already been said. small adjustments. anticipate what you want to do.

you should never have to change your roll except in minor adjustments. i think that is most peoples problem. they over correct when starting into a roll. also rotation takes a second to react so make a small twist adjustment and see what happens. if more is needed make another small adjustment.

and start off with the bigger helos. they don't react nearly as fast which makes it harder to flip the suckers. but that also means it's harder to get out of a roll once you start one.

just practice moving forward first. don't worry about hovering or attacking. you will be helpful just moving troops in the beginning and not blowing the damn thing up.

also, please practice on your own server. nothing i hate more than a newb stealing MY helo just to flip it 10 feet away ;)
                              flux
                              [tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...