X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempus
    started a topic System Specs

System Specs

Ok, what are you guys running, and what kind of performance are you getting? I have a problem that maybe someone knows about.

To start, I have:
    p4 2.0
    512 MB RAM
    GeForce 3 Ti-200

My performance:
    I was running at 1024x768 Med Detail, switched to 800x600, and have noticed little difference.

My computer seems to 'pause' whenever there is something 'new' going on.. For example, game starts, and there are several seconds where whenever I move the mouse, I only get like 1 out of 20 frames -- I'm facing north, I move the mouse, and the next screen update (after a second or 2), I am facing south. This wouldn't bother me if it only happened then, but it happens often, usually when there are enemies around, helos overhead, or when flying, approaching a base.

This seems to me to be a memory issue, yet with 512 MB, I should have enough. No? Any ideas? I know that after playing the game, I need to reboot the computer, since it is so slow afterwards. :(

• CK
    replied
    Athlon 1700 on an old Asus A7V133 (a 1700 is pushing the upgradability of the board rev and bios that I have, but seems ok, a nice upgrade from the old Athlon 800)
    768 megs of PC133
    Sapphire (ATI) 9700
    Soundblaster Live 5.1

I play at 1280x960 16bit. I get good performance AFAIAC with two exceptions.

- On a 25+ person server with most of the people attacking/battling in the airfield area on Wake,

- On that one Iraq-named map - desert map with a valley in front of the opposition base and a ridge-line beyond, two bases on/just-over the ridge, one more base nearest the coallition base on a broad plain. I get acceptable performance at the North base, but the South base I get around 1fps.

I recently turned the sound down to 11Khz, I guess I should turn on the fps counter so I can ensure I still get good performance as I tweak things - such as turning sound hardware acceleration on.

I'd love to upgrade, but that would necessarily involve an upgrade to almost ALL of the components - CPU/MB/RAM, so right there it's almost equivalent to buying a completely new system.

BTW: Maps with lots of twists and turns and urban areas with narrow streets, especially ones played "at night", really remind me of CS :) Those old skillz do come in handy some times. However unlike CS the threat can usually come from any direction, as opposed to the uni-dimensional-threat of most CS maps.

IE, *so* often in BF1942 in a darkly lit urban area I'll die and have *no* idea where the attacker is, even with 5 seconds of ghosting the scene. In CS you almost always knew where the enemy was the instant the gunfire started, if they weren't in the corridor ahead of you, they were in the other corridor or two nearby.

Leave a comment:

• DeRanger
    replied
    Perfect answer coming from you Raven... :D

;)

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied
    Originally posted by patorean
    Originally posted by [gc]flux
    Originally posted by DeRanger
    How does one get rid of the 4? splash screens at load-up.
    look in your bf1942/Movies directory. just rename those files to something other than .bik
    Goto your Bf1942 desktop icon and right click...select properties.

Add " +restart 1 " after the last quote in the target bar. This will bypass the movies and intro and go straight to the game. it should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1

Hope this helps...

Rob
    or you can just delete them

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied
    I'm running WinXP Pro on an

AMD AthlonXP 1600
    2x128M PC2100 DDR RAM
    nVidia GeForce3 Ti 500
    SoundBlaster Live! Value

I run the game at 1024x768x32 which is the same as my desktop resolution. Settings are all at medium.

Leave a comment:

• patorean
    replied
    Originally posted by Tempus
    At this point, I am starting to think that my prolem is actually with the sound card. I did a modest vid card upgrade (9600xt), and I still have a problem with the game just literally 'pausing' at times. For example, when I get bombed by a helo, I often am reduced to ONE frame per second. :shock:

The Santa Cruz is supposed to be a good bf1942 card, but I will play with the settings anyway and see what happens..

I have a "Yamaha legacy DS-XQ sound card" with PCI audio codecs.
    I've heard that BF1942 is sound card fussy....you can try installing one of these cards...I don't think they are very much and are easy to do.

I have no problems as of yet, but by making this post....failure is looming. :D

"Knock Wood"

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Tempus
    replied
    At this point, I am starting to think that my prolem is actually with the sound card. I did a modest vid card upgrade (9600xt), and I still have a problem with the game just literally 'pausing' at times. For example, when I get bombed by a helo, I often am reduced to ONE frame per second. :shock:

The Santa Cruz is supposed to be a good bf1942 card, but I will play with the settings anyway and see what happens..

Leave a comment:

• DeRanger
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• patorean
    replied
    Originally posted by [gc]flux
    look in your bf1942/Movies directory. just rename those files to something other than .bik
    Goto your Bf1942 desktop icon and right click...select properties.

Add " +restart 1 " after the last quote in the target bar. This will bypass the movies and intro and go straight to the game. it should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1

Hope this helps...

Rob

Leave a comment:

• DeRanger
    replied
    :D

Thanks flux!

Leave a comment:

• flux
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cobra
    replied
    P4 2.8c(Overclocked to 3.3)
    1gig Corsair XMS Low latency 400mhz
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 meg(Overclocked to 440mhz core and 388mhz memory)
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Running game @ 1280X960, 32bit, All settings on high, 94-100 fps
    Game runs good! :twisted:
    Only problem is the sound crackling.

Leave a comment:

• DeRanger
    replied
    P4 1.7
    768 megs
    GeForce Ti500
    Soundblaster 5.1

I'm running 12 X 10 (desktop res) with graphics turned down to medium or low and sound at 11khz

I get the same kind of stuttery performance online as Tempus described.

How does one get rid of the 4? splash screens at load-up. Is there a config command to just load-up the damn game without doing a Spacebar/Mouse1 tap dance every time one wants to play?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied
    I run on a Celron 900 with a 64 meg ati radeon card and its playable... it looks like ass, but its playable.

Leave a comment:

• OSD
    replied
    it looks like your running pretty close to the min on the video requirements

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X