A few questions/concerns...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions/concerns...

We'll start off by giving my general specs...

1.0Ghz AMD Athlon
    512 SD RAM
    Geforce 2 Ultra

When I initially bought HL2/CS:Source I wasn't sure if I'd get away with running it, given my specs. I bought it because of all the hype and if it wasn't going to run, I'd atleast have it for when I finally had the cash to upgrade. To my surprise, since my specs don't even meet the minimal requirements, the game looks and runs smooth. The only downside is somewhat slow menu loads. Other than that it runs pretty good.

What I'd like to eventually do is just build a new computer from the ground up. Of course that's going to be a costly process, something I'm not in the position to do at this point.

Right now I'd really like to find another FPS title to get into, something leaning more towards tactics rather than pure DM.

I know I could probably download demos and try it out for myself but I figured I'd ask first and try and get somewhat of an idea if I should even bother going that route in the first place - in other words if it would be worth my time, given my specs. I got away with running HL2/CS:Source with specs not meeting minimal requirements. My question is, do you think I'd get away with running, say, BF2? COD2? Those are more or less the games I'm interested in right now. I know we have a couple BF2 servers here (quite popular at that) so I know I could enjoy a good tactical experience with that game if I could run it, but what about COD2? I imagine if there were enough interest we could get a server for it here, but is the game more geared towards DM or what? I've never played COD period so I don't know.

I figure BF2 would be a stretch given the large maps/environments, but I don't know. What's the word on COD2?

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Re: A few questions/concerns...

I'd say you'll have serious trouble running any games on your machine. VERY surprised it runs HL2...
    What version of DirectX does your video card support?

Not sure about COD2 but I highly doubt BF2 will run on your machine. If you're thinking of building a new machine it's a great time to do so. The video cards in particular, have made huge advancements from the one you have.

Comment

Your graphics card isn't supported by BF2. It won't run period unless you find hacks to get it working but it'll run slow and look crappy. COD2 might work but I think the minimum requirement is a GF4. If it does work, I'm betting it'll be really slow. The minimum requirements for HL2 is a lot lower than these games. So it is feasible that HL2 runs decently on your current system.

A little time with Google for system requirements can give you a pretty good estimate. Just compare the minimum specs from HL2 to another game.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I did that already before posting this thread. Both games were of course higher minimal specs.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Comment

I recommend America's Army Broken, it's free and will run on your machine.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
            I recommend America's Army Broken, it's free and will run on your machine.
            Whilst I get reasonable performance on CS:S, I can get as low as 7FPS on AA. Might want to rethink that suggestion :)

AA is definitely a great game if your system *can* run it.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It uses the UT2k4 engine, so either root's system is seriously gimped (most likely) or he set his graphics settings on HIGH (least likely) it should run ok. Quake 3 and Ut2k4 are not very different at all. I'd put everything on low though to start!

- -

Comment

I downloaded COD2 and Quake 4 demos last night. Quake 4, after a 300mb download, ended up installing but not running from the start, saying my CPU wasn't supported, heh. It was worth a shot anyway.

COD2 ran surprisingly pretty good. It requires a 1.4 or above and I have, like I said, a 1.0. It has some slow down here and there but it does run pretty good despite that. I ended up buying the game today and just got done playing SP for a little bit then I jumped on a MP server for a little. This is actually my first WW2 shooter I've played and I have to say I really like this game. I hope it gets a home here in the not too distant future!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X